HP screwing with my head

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
billathome65

HP screwing with my head

Post by billathome65 »

I just bought a HP 3634 deskjet wireless printer and have been trying to get it running on my lappy ever since.

OS Linux Mint 17.3 Mate or is it Cinnamon? not sure

I originally tried to install from cd it got to the options menu for setup wi-fi then tells me cannot find wireless device?

then try option wireless 802/11 setup which requires USB to help set up wireless however I plug in and I says no wireless capable devices found although its plugged in via USB?

I download HPLIP via install wizard I click on run and a red box fires up basically telling me it can't run.

So I do a manual install of HPLIP toolbox and still no joy lappy can't find the printer

I do the CUPS and setup the printer there. I try to print test page and it comes back printer not responding?

All the information states the printer is supported but for the life of me I can't get anywhere.

I know the printer is not faulty as it is connected to my tablet and my smartphone no issue just not through MInt?

It's doing my head in now.

Can anyone please help me get this printer running via wi-fi?

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: HP screwing with my head

Post by phd21 »

Hi "billathome65",

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

If it were me, I would first get it working directly from the USB port, then deal with the wireless aspect. During the installation, you will be prompted for various information, if you can determine the IP address of the printer, then you can setup the wireless this way, but do not have it connected to the USB as well. From what I just read, the printer can automatically connect to your wireless router, so maybe the front panel can provide you the IP address, then when you run the instructions below select wireless.

Below is a link to install the HP Open Source drivers. click the button "Download HPLIP", save the file somewhere like your "/downloads" folder, and follow the instructions ...

HP Linux Imaging and Printing; Print, Scan and Fax Drivers for Linux
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... index.html

FYI-1: I found that creating a folder (directory) for the HP drivers in my "/home" folder, ex: "hplip-3.15.7", and copying, or saving, the downloaded installation file "hplip-3.15.7.run" into that folder and running it from there worked cleaner & better. Lately, when I ran the HP install from my "/home" folder, it created a lot of HP printer stuff (extra files and folders) in my "/home" folder that I did not want there whereas if you do this in a folder it creates all that in the folder.

~/hplip-3.15.7 > sh hplip-3.15.7.run

FYI-2: if you have a problem running the HP installation script, make sure you have "dash" script program installed from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
billathome65

Post by billathome65 »

Hi the IP of the printer that the setup printed off is 192.168.223.1

I also have access to WPS Pins but would'nt have a clue how to how to do anything with it I have a BT open reach router.

The system details are

bill@bill-Aspire-V5-431 ~ $ inxi -Fxzd
System: Host: bill-Aspire-V5-431 Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: MATE 1.10.2 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine: Mobo: Acer model: Aspire V5-431 version: V2.01 Bios: Phoenix version: V2.01 date: 08/03/2012
CPU: Dual core Intel Pentium CPU 987 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3) bmips: 5986.9
Clock Speeds: 1: 824.414 MHz 2: 1254.140 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-38-generic
Network: Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 02:00.2
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (11.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000LPVT size: 500.1GB
Optical: /dev/sr0 model: N/A rev: N/A dev-links: cdrom
Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: N/A
Partition: ID: / size: 455G used: 55G (13%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 4.08GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 44.0C mobo: 35.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 175 Uptime: 18 min Memory: 586.3/3748.0MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17
bill@bill-Aspire-V5-431 ~ $

I have already downloaded that file and when I try to run it I get

Could not open the file /home/bill/Downloads/hplip-3.16.5.run.

pluma has not been able to detect the character encoding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "billathome65",

You have to run the command from the folder that you created and downloaded the HP run file into. you can bring up your file manager, browse to the folder, double click the folder so that you are in it, and right click somewhere, select "actions", open terminal here. Then, run the command "sh hplip-3.15.7.run" and follow the instructions exactly.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
billathome65

Post by billathome65 »

Hi thanks for that I should have said I had already done that.

I created its own folder and tried running it and keeps saying sh: 0: Can't open hplip-3.15.7.run.

I did miss the last part about "dash" so I checked to see if dash was installed which it is, and was going to try dash:1386 to but it was telling me it would uninstall dash and other programmes so not done it yet.

This is crazy to just install a blinking printer :(

Bill
billathome65

Post by billathome65 »

I should also say I have tried connecting to the laptop via USB and it isnt recocnised as being connected however I have just set up the printer wirelessy on my daughters old Acer 5630 running win7 Im thinking I may just duel boot this laptop.

Bill

Return to “Printers & Scanners”