Connecting to a networked Printer

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
davidvh2
Level 1
Level 1

Connecting to a networked Printer

Post by davidvh2 » Mon May 30, 2016 6:09 am

Hello Everyone.............I'm a new boy on the block having just installed Linux Mint 17.3 on a fairly old Dell Laptop.
Everything seems to be working just fine & without any drama & I've been particularly impressed with how the OS picked up drivers for everything. There is just one problem that I've been trying to solve & I can't believe it can be so terribly complicated. How do I connect to a printer that's switched on & connected to a Windows 7 PC (also On) on my home network? I've another laptop PC running Windows 7 & had no problem whatsoever in being able to use the printer on what I call my master PC. I just want to be able to do the same with the Linux Mint machine. If anyone can advise, please keep in mind that I'm a novice & don't understand any code or terminal operations at all. Many thanks in advance.

cholq
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Connecting to a networked Printer

Post by cholq » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:37 pm

davidvh2
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Connecting to a networked Printer

Post by davidvh2 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:01 pm

Many thanks cholq. Actually I've had plenty of time to fiddle since I wrote my query & happily I found the problem myself. It was basically my not understanding why I should put my user name & password in to join when Windows wouldn't have any idea who I was. Nevertheless I put in my Linux Mint name & password & it connected straight away. I'll battle on with a couple of other weird problems but put them on the appropriate forum. Thanks again for offering to help. You're the only one that did!

Return to “Printers & Scanners”