Mint 18 and Brother scanner (Solved)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kiwig

Re: Mint 18 and Brother scanner (Solved)

Post by kiwig »

I wonder if I can hook into this after trying to setup our MFC J6910DW-scanner. It did work in the initial Sarah setup. Had to reinstall the OS and been spending countless hours since with no result. I have potentially mucked up scan related files and wonder if I should wipe the drive again and start a-fresh
Simple Scan can just not find the scanner :-(
ldragon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ldragon »

This worked for me with Linux Mint 18 x64 with Brother mfcj870dw (mfc-j870dw) connected via WiFi DHCP

Downloaded the generic installer from Brother
http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... w_us_eu_as
Installed, printer worked, scanner not.

Then downloaded the scanner drivers from the same page (driver, key tool, settings file)
http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... _as&os=128

Then installed the packages using gui tool GDebi package installer and followed the instruction to set up the printer using static IP.
Checked the IP from rooter admin page.
brsaneconfig4 -a name=(name your device) model=(model name) ip=xx.xx.xx.xx

My /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/brscanenetdevice4.cfg has this one line:
DEVICE=LaciScanner , "MFC-J870DW" , Unknown , IP-ADDRESS=192.168.10.107

I also created a symlink from /etc/udev/rules.d/40-brother-libsane-type1.rules to /lib/udev/rules.d/40-brother-libsane-type1.rules
However, I am not sure if this was necessary, but others mentioned the /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules file so I thought the rule file from Brother should be linked here too.

added myself to the scanner group:
sudo usermod -a -G scanner laszlo

Then reboot.

Then scanimage -L and scanimage --test worked fine as well as simple-scan. Tried as root first then the regular user.

This site helped me to figure out the problem with using my scanner, so I thought I put my results here too. It may help others.
kiwig

Post by kiwig »

ldragon wrote:This worked for me with Linux Mint 18 x64 with Brother mfcj870dw (mfc-j870dw) connected via WiFi DHCP
Thanks, thanks, :D I just got it going and thought I should check the forum. Just had to find enough patience with the instructions on the brother pages.
It has been a marathon to get printer and scanner going with another machine on the network. Huhhhh
hank

Re: Mint 18 and Brother scanner

Post by hank »

Duveltje wrote:It might be the 40-libsane.rules:

Open a shell/terminal by ctrl-alt-T
execute: sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules
Then enter the following 2 lines just before the line LABEL="libsane_rules_end":
# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

Save the file and restart your computer.
This helped me as well, only the name of the file in the current stable LM 18.3 distro is now
60-libsane.rules

In my case the trouble was with the scanner incorporated in my Brother DCP-T500W combo.

Thx a lot for the advice.
O-rion
Level 3
Level 3

Post by O-rion »

PeterBell wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:22 am

Update:
I found this and following the advice there, I now have the scanner working under Sarah! I did remove the files which I had copied to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/ earlier.
Thank you very much for posting this update.
Followed this for a DCP-357C ... and finally it works on Linux Mint 18.3!
Linux Mint 20.1 MATE
jenissley

Post by jenissley »

O-rion wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:32 am
PeterBell wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:22 am

Update:
I found this and following the advice there, I now have the scanner working under Sarah! I did remove the files which I had copied to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/ earlier.
Thank you very much for posting this update.
Followed this for a DCP-357C ... and finally it works on Linux Mint 18.3!
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!! I did all the other stuff posted here, nothing worked. This finally solved my problem. (Mint 18.3 and Brother MFC-295CN).
James

Return to “Printers & Scanners”