Printing set-up problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pip

Printing set-up problem

Post by pip »

OS Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 32 BiT
Version 2.8.6
Linux Kernel 3.19.0.32- Generic
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400
@ 3.00 Ghz x2
Memory 3.6 GiB
HD 303.6 Gb
Graphics Intel 4Series Chipset
Intergrated Graphics Controller

I’m new to ‘Mint’ so need some simple directions. I’m trying to use a Canon IP90 with the newly installed OS, and there doesn’t appear to be any way to get it to work.

I have found a number of people on-line with the same problem, but I’ve not yet found a solution to this anywhere. Moreover, the 'Mint' Help file doesn’t even recognise the words ‘Print’ or ‘Printer’, let alone offer a solution!

Is it actually possible to use this printer with ‘Mint’, and if so, can anyone point me towards a source of help? Thanks is advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
EXPERIMINT
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Printing set-up problem

Post by EXPERIMINT »

Check under "Administration" for "Printer"
EXPERIMINT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EXPERIMINT »

Check with Canon website but it looks like they do not have a driver for Linux.
pip

Post by pip »

So it seems I can'r use my Canon IP90 with Mint, a major flaw for sure. How can I find out which printers do work with Mint?
EXPERIMINT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EXPERIMINT »

Try manufacturers' web sites.
Also check the community :-

community.linuxmint.com
The website for all Linux Mint users

Home
Community
Testing

Login
Username Password Remember me
Forgot password
Register
Hardware devices
Type:
Brand:
Release:
Name:
Type Brand Model name Release Status
Printer AMD mp495 Rosa Works perfectly
Printer Brother HL-5250DN Rosa Works perfectly
Printer Canon MX340 Rosa Works perfectly
Printer Canon PIXMA MX870 Rosa Works perfectly
Printer HP (Hewlett-Packard) P1102 Rosa Works perfectly
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Here's a couple of pages that tell you how to get your IP90 working in Mint:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... inux-mint/

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=504643

We used to say that Canon printers come in 3 varieties: paperweight, doorstop, and boat anchor. But a few years have gone by, and you can get a lot of Canon printers to work with Linux now.

You can check if a printer will work with Linux here:

https://www.openprinting.org/printers

The list isn't perfect; there are printers that will work that aren't on the list. I have long been using HP printers. Their HPLIP drivers work for almost every printer they make, and they come already installed in Mint.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
pip

Post by pip »

Thank you for the information. I have been through the instructions in fine detail, such as I understood them, and at almost every stage I met a string of what I can only call negative messages, far to complex to memorize. Having completed all the steps, nothing has worked - as far as I can tell - indeed, I would call it a spectacular failure.

I am now wondering if, having inputted certain information - such as - putting: deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/ubuntu ./ into my source list (which didn’t produce the required results), have I now created even more problems than I already had? Namely, a printer that wouldn’t print? And of course, is there actually a procedure which does result in causing the printer, a Canon IP90 to work with Mint?

This really is proving to be a minefield. Many thanks anyway.
Cliff
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Printing set-up solution for canon pixma iP90 printer

Post by Cliff »

Years ago I had the same problem with Mint & Canon Pixma iP90. I found that plugging the printer in to the USB, the system will see the printer and it will start searching for drivers. I cancel the search, then just click forward. You'll get to a list of printers, Canon will probably be selected, click forward and it will highlight the IP90 model. Don't select that, instead select IP2000. That's been the best match I've found in the Linux selection.

But, another and much better way would be to buy the drivers ready to install on Mint. You'll find them here:
http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint_ ... PIXMA_iP90
The price is 30 Euros. You can download & install for a 30 day test. If during the 30 days, you want to purchase, go back to the site, pay & they'll email your password.
It's a German site, been there for years. They must have an arrangement with Canon, as the program enables you to see ink levels, clean print heads, deep clean the print head, check nozzles, etc. They have a nice interface, with an app that can sit in the task bar.
It was worth the money to me , as I liked the iP90 and didn't want to buy another one. that was ages ago, still works fine. When I upgraded to the next LTS, I just copied my print folder over. It's running on Linux Mint 18 now.

Cliff
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

just to add a footnote to Cliff's comments about Turboprint:

Canon do supply drivers from their Canon Asia website http://search-asia.canon-asia.com/canon ... DS%09Linux

I would echo Cliff's comments that TurboPrint is a very good printer driver system: to be recommended

Return to “Printers & Scanners”