How to install wireless printer - Mint 18??

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
enfoprefect
Level 2
Level 2

How to install wireless printer - Mint 18??

Post by enfoprefect »

Mint recognized my wired printer automatically but I can't find a suitable option to get it to recognize my Canon MG5220 wireless printer. Windows somehow recognized it with no problems but no luck with Linux so far. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
TomTom2

Re: How to install wireless printer - Mint 18??

Post by TomTom2 »

I just went through adding a wireless printer to my new Linux Mint setup.
I was a bit clumsy, but I made it through.

I started by getting the wired version of the printer to work properly by using the Add Printer option.
This got the drivers for the printer installed.

After I got it working, I made sure that this printer was listed as "Shared" in printer properties.

Then (after restarting), I used the Add Printer option again and selected "network printer".
My printer now showed up on the network printer and I was able to add it.

There may be simpler ways to get there, but this worked for me.

Good luck.
dave8671
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave8671 »

This might help

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1538

Basicly you need to setup the printer wirelessly not connected by usb..

In the add printer window click add than click network printer the setup should scan for network printers and install a driver. If the about driver is not installed it must be installed than setup your printer as a network printer.
enfoprefect
Level 2
Level 2

Post by enfoprefect »

Sorry to be slow responding but been out of town. Anyway, tried your approach Dave as it looked like the right idea but it failed at the second step trying to add the ppa. "Source does not support xenial." I'm new enough to not know what xenial is but looked at Software Sources from menu and it seems that I have no choice on that. Also tried to add the ppa there with the same result. Any idea how to get around this hurdle? Also, I can't really wire the printer as it is in another room.
dave8671
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave8671 »

I though I would check in see what happened with your printer issue.

I been using HP in Linux have no issues. HP has HP-lip which is what HP printers need to function correctly. The one I use is envy 5530. I can print, scan to my mint 18 systems and my mac. I installed xsane to scan it is much better than using simple scan. Might want to change to HP it is much easier.
lexon

Post by lexon »

Might not be any help but some time ago I purchased a wireless Canon Pixma 450 series printer scanner. Needed wireless for iPhone and iPad. Yes, W10 does excellent.
Mint 18, Cinnamon found the Pixma 450 when I selected find printer. Really fast. Unfortunately, does not scan but does see the scanner so I use a USB cable for xSane. Never found a wireless solution.
I know, your printer not nearby.
Hope you have better luck with scanning.
Should have bought a HP which I had been using for many years.

Just remembered, found a Linux driver at Canon but it failed half way through install.

Good luck.

L
TomTom2

Post by TomTom2 »

Thanks for the reply. I have the printer working wirelessly and have no problems. The real problem at this point is that the scanner function of the printer is not detected by my linux setup. I tried the various proposed solutions, but none gave results. I downloaded the driver from brother and installed it but still no wireless scanner. Odd thing is that with a USB cable, I can scan fine.

I'll just keep after at time permits.

Thanks again.
WausauBill

Post by WausauBill »

The instructions for installing a Brother printer on this page worked perfectly -- wired and wireless. Scanner too!

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/17

Good luck!
Eridanus7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Eridanus7 »

Hi enfoprefect

If you are still stuck, the following approach might be worth a try.

First follow the step by step instructions for connecting the MG5220 to your network, in the manual from;-
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/24382 ... =11#manual
At pg 11 stop.

Then install the Linux PIXMA MG5200 series Linux Printer Driver (debian & redhat) + manual
from;-
http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer ... 20(64-bit)

Note very slow site (1 click at a time & wait)
Read the guide manuals in each case.

Linux Printer Driver (debian)
File version 3.40
Release date 04 January 2011
Operating system(s) Linux (32-bit) Linux (64-bit)

Then after a reboot install the Linux IJ Scanner Driver.
PIXMA MG5200 series Linux Scanner Driver (debian & redhat) + manual
File version 1.60
Release date 04 January 2011
Operating system(s) Linux (32-bit) Linux (64-bit)

For more info on a similar install see;
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=246120

It might be worth backing up your existing installation with Clonezilla before you start.
Once you have a backup you can uninstall all existing printers & printer software and still be sure you can get back to your current setup.
CastleMan

Post by CastleMan »

Thanks to "TomTom2 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:36 pm" I finally managed to get my Canon MX722 printer to be accessible over my local network. Had only previously been able to print by USB hook-up to my laptop.
WISEGUYTR

Post by WISEGUYTR »

I followed the instructions and after installing xsane it worked, but I still havent been able to use it with Epson ImageScanner (yeah, bummer, the customer wants to use Epson Imagescanner)...

Any ideas ?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

WISEGUYTR wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:05 pm Any ideas ?
Yes: start a new thread so that you can give it a more fitting and descriptive title. This will often attract the people who can help with your specific issue.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Printers & Scanners”