Is there an inexpensive printer to work with mint ?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Dave1w
Level 1
Level 1

Is there an inexpensive printer to work with mint ?

Post by Dave1w » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:29 am

I bought an Epson xp-430 and can not get the driver to load. Tried four different ways.
Linux sees the printer but won't install the linux driver downloaded from Epson.
I'm returning the printer.
I'm running Cinnamon mint 16 and would like to have an all in one printer.
Any suggestions?

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Is there an inexpensive printer to work with mint ?

Post by deepakdeshp » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:38 am

Hello,

You can try installing latest Kernel for your system by Go to update manager-->view--> Linux kernels. This will display all kernels available to install.
Note that a different Kernel may break your system in which case you have to boot using the presently installed Kernel by using the "Boot recovery mode option ,

THe supported devices list is https://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/search
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:41 am

Dave1w wrote:Any suggestions?
I suggest that you ask for help with your specific printer here, instead of giving up so soon. Try making a new thread of your own this time, that might very well help.
Good luck!

...reading your previous message, is it correct that you are using Mint 16? If so, you really need to upgrade. That may in fact solve the printer problem too.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:51 am

Mint 16? Really? I would suggest you update to one of the 17. issues, or perhaps 18. Or the other Long Term Support issue, 13. LM16 is obsolete and you can't get updates.

Edit - Oops Sorry Moem, didn't read your post carefully enough.
Go Steady, but keep going

Dave1w
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dave1w » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:33 am

Hi all,
Thanks for the responses.
Mint 16 has worked fine for everything so I haven't considered upgrading.
I too suspected that a newer version may solve my printer problems.
I had the same problems trying to use a Canon MG3200 and never got that installed.
My workaround has been putting files in a folder that is accessible by XP and rebooting to print. It's a major pain.

I had read a thread on upgrading but there were so many cautions and issues brought up that I feared getting into a deeper mess.
What would be the best version to move to?
Can you suggest a safe method?
Then I will try the printer install again.

Dave

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:41 pm

Dave1w wrote: What would be the best version to move to?
Can you suggest a safe method?
The best version to move to probably depends on your hardware. Open a terminal, enter inxi -Fxz, and copy/paste the result here. That will tell us what version you have now, what hardware you have, how much memory, how big your hard drive is, and all that other stuff that is useful when making recommendations.

Mint 16 cannot be "upgraded in place", so you will have to do a fresh install, being sure to backup all your files before you do so.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Dave1w
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dave1w » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:44 am

HI,
Below is the configuration presently installed.

inxi -Fxz
System: Host: OptiPlex-GX280 Kernel: 3.11.0-12-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.1)
Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Machine: System: Dell product: OptiPlex GX280
Mobo: Dell model: 0G5611 Bios: Dell version: A08 date: 03/03/2006
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-UP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 5984.8 clocked at 2992.401 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 915G x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 9.2.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1: Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: ec00 e8c0 bus-ID: 00:1e.2
Card-2: Creative Labs SB Audigy driver: snd_emu10k1 port: dce0 bus-ID: 04:00.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11.0-12-generic
Network: Card: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3 ver: 3.132 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (9.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST3250410AS size: 250.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 73G used: 23G (34%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.14GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 145 Uptime: 8 min Memory: 549.4/2006.5MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.1 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:04 pm

I would think that either Mint 17 or 18 would be OK on that computer. There are four different flavors of Mint: XFCE, Mate, Cinnamon, and KDE. (Each is a different desktop environment.) The one potential problem I see is I'm not sure that your graphics card does 3D, which is needed for Cinnamon. (Cinnamon is Mint's "flagship" version.) You could download the Cinnamon version and boot to it from the DVD or USB stick and see if Cinnamon works OK on that machine. If it runs from the DVD/USB, it should run installed, too. If Cinnamon doesn't like your graphics system, it will give a message that it is in "software rendering mode." KDE is also kind of a resource hog, so you might want to rule that one out too. But either the XFCE version or the Mate version should run OK on that computer. XFCE is generally considered the low-end desktop environment, but I prefer it to Mate. So, download a couple of them and try them "live" from the DVD or USB and see which one works best for you.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Your first priority is to upgrade your operating system to Linux Mint 17.3 which is supported until April, 2019..

Linux Mint 18 still needs more time to mature in my opinion.

Drivers for the Epson XP-430 are readily available from the Epson Download Centre:

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... FromResult

The files you need are:
1. epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.5-1lsb3.2_i386.deb
2. epson-printer-utility_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_i386.deb
3. the scanner bundle for Linux Mint 14.04 base - http://support.epson.net/linux/en/image ... sion=1.1.8
or the scanner bundle for Linux Mint 16.04 base if using Linux Mint 18.

If you download the appropriate files in .deb format, you can install these via a double click on the downloaded file. The scanner driver comes as a bundle and you can install this either by using the provided shell script or unpacking the bundle (right click and select "Extract Here" and installing the individual .deb files (data file first).

I assume that you will continue to run a 32 bit system - the files you need for a 64 bit system are different but also available from the Epson Download Centre.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - 64bit

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi "Dave1w",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I would definitely upgrade to Linux Mint version 17.2 or 17.3. I would recommend that you try 32-bit editions of Mate, KDE, and Xfce. I do not think your current computer would run Cinnamon well at all. I have very similar computer hardware, I am currently running Linux Mint KDE 17.3, and v17.1 and 17.2 before that for years. "Mate" actually runs better on my hardware, but I want the features of KDE. I find "Xfce" to be too simplistic for my tastes, but others love it.

As for your Epson Printer, there are drivers as user "kyphi" just told you about in the previous reply.

It is well known, that HP printers and their multi-function printers (MFP) All-In-One, work extremely well in Linux and Linux Mint. I use an older HP office jet 4110 which worked perfectly well for a long time (I think it's about worn out now), and even better if you install their readily available current software and drivers. You can get their printers for very good prices, and you can get ink, 3rd party cartridges - refills, on Amazon.com and other places for relatively good prices too. I would recommend that if you can afford it, get a printer with separate color cartridges, as that will save you money in the long run.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:24 pm

have a look at the latest post, by me, with a similar model Epson:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1763&start=60
and see if that is of any help to you.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Dave1w
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dave1w » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:50 am

Thanks all for the quick replies.
I will download 17 versions and give them a try and let you know how it goes.

Dave

Return to “Printers & Scanners”