No Network Scanner Detected.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TomTom2

No Network Scanner Detected.

Post by TomTom2 »

I've searches this forum and found a lot of helpful information, but nothing that seems to address what I have encountered.
1. I installed the Brother printer/scanner drivers using the Driver Install Tool from Brother.
2. I can print using the USB cord and via my wireless network.
3. After editing the rules.d file, I can scan when connected via USB without being the super user.
4. When I attempt to use SimpleScan while not connected via USB, I get an error that no scanner is attached. SimpleScan has no option to add/search for scanners.
5. When I use the terminal to search for scanners I get

tom@tom-Aspire-one-Pro ~ $ dpkg -l | grep Brother
ii brscan-skey 0.2.4-1 i386 Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii brscan4 0.4.3-3 i386 Brother Scanner Driver
ii mfcj430wcupswrapper 3.0.0-1 i386 Brother CUPS Inkjet Printer Definitions
ii mfcj430wlpr 3.0.1-1 i386 Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
ii printer-driver-brlaser 3-5~ubuntu1 i386 printer driver for (some) Brother laser printers
ii printer-driver-ptouch 1.4-1 i386 printer driver Brother P-touch label printers

The printer function of my Brother MFC-J430W is recognized on my wireless LAN, but the scanner is not. After searching Brother and this forum for three days, I have not found a way to make the scanner visible over the LAN. I must be missing a permission, but even when I launch SimpleScan as root, the scanner is not detected over the LAN.

Hopefully, this is enough detail to make the problem clear.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ichnaton

Re: No Network Scanner Detected.

Post by ichnaton »

Hi
Similar problem here. Got a bit further it seems, but then, no success.

I added my Brother printer using another command supplied by brscan3

Code: Select all

brsaneconfig3 -a name=BROTHER model=DCP-585CW ip=192.168.178.23 
Simple Scan also has a problem connecting. From the shortcut, no scanner. From command line

simple-scan BROTHER
but then it fails to really operate.

Tried xsane as well, no scanner there either.

But the scanner is in the system.

brsaneconfig3 -q
<...>
Devices on network
  0 BROTHER2            "DCP-585CW"         I:192.168.178.23
And I can access the scanner over telnet. Whoa. Old times relive.

telnet 192.168.178.23
Trying 192.168.178.23...
Connected to 192.168.178.23.
Escape character is '^]'.

Welcome. Type <return>, enter password at # prompt

# 
Brother NC-180w Command Console
 Copyright(C) 1999-2008 Brother Industries,Ltd.
 KASAGO TCP/IP Copyright (c) 1997 Elmic WESCOM, Inc.
 Copyright(C) 1983-1998 PACIFIC SOFTWORKS INC.
So the scanner is in brsane, the device is on the networ, but

$ brscan-skey -l
$ 
<...> no result.

Suggestions please ?
TomTom2

Post by TomTom2 »

Thanks, Ichnaton.

If I go into the router control panel and look at the client list, the printer is there big as day (192.168.0.7) and if I sent a job to the printer, it prints fine.

It's when I try to run SimpleScan or Xsane that it says "No scanner connected".

It's like I need a separate set of drivers for the network. I used the Brother driver install too and checked that the scanner driver was in place. I guess that is why I can scan when connected via USB.

The confusing part is that the printer function works so easily.

Hope a Guru jumps on this.

Thanks again
ichnaton

Post by ichnaton »

Hmm. Diggin in memory tells me that I did have scanning running a while ago, when I installed this baby. Why is it failing now. And yours too. I suggest kernel stuff. Darn, how do I roll back easily in kernels ?
nkoropoff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nkoropoff »

I went through this when I first installed Mint 18 with my Brother MFC-8480DN. Here are a couple of things to follow from Brother:

http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux ... =on#u13.04

and:

http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux ... =on#f00101

The first is to install an additional package from Brother. The second is to copy drivers to a different directory where they are being looked for but had been installed else where. I could then scan as well as print.
TomTom2

Post by TomTom2 »

Thanks for the follow up. I downloaded the additional file and installed it per the instructions. I also have kept all the files in the Downloads folder where they were installed from. Is that what you meant about keeping drivers in the location where they were installed from?

The stumper for me is that the printer function works fine through the LAN, but the scanner isn't ever detected.
tlmiii01

Post by tlmiii01 »

Try this:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=226115

I created the sane folder in /usr/lib and copied the files as suggested and Simple Scan is working for me.

Thomas
burgersplus

Post by burgersplus »

I had the same problem but found it to be the wrong IP address for the printer/scanner. The printer shows 192.168.002.011 whereas the router address is 192.168.2.11. I went to the /etc/opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/brsanenetdevice4.cfg file and changed it to the router address and boom, it works.
I also made the router address permanent (fixed) Hope this helps.
TomTom2

Post by TomTom2 »

Thanks, I'll give the IP address a try. Let you know

Return to “Printers & Scanners”