Scanning from a Samsung SCX-4623F

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The Penguin

Scanning from a Samsung SCX-4623F

Post by The Penguin »

I have a Samsung SCX-4623F printer, and utilize Linux Mint Rosa on a Lifebook A544. I am able to print from my Laptop to my printer, but am unable to scan from my printer to the Laptop. Even though SimpleScan under the graphics Section picks my printer up, I am still unable to Scan and/or save to my computer. Can anyone please assist me with this seemingly straigtforward action?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Scanning from a Samsung SCX-4623F

Post by austin.texas »

Did you install the Samsung scanner driver?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
The Penguin

Post by The Penguin »

I am still very new to Linux, so am still unsure how to do this. If I insert the installation DVD, it shows an icon on my Desktop saying SAMSUNG_MFP. Clicking on that, it takes me to a screen with a folder that says "Linux". Clicking on that, in turn, takes me to another folder saying "noarch". I simply do not know how to install the software again.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Don't feel bad about not knowing what to do. The process is not apparent, and Samsung's instructions (if you can somehow discover where they are) are worthless.

When you see that "noarch" folder in your file manager, you should also see a folder named "x86_64", and also some .sh files - install.sh, install-printer.sh, uninstall.sh, etc. Do you see those?

If you can't find those files on the CD, you can get the latest driver for the SCX-4623F at
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owner ... -4623F/XAA
Click on "Manuals and Downloads". Under Downloads, click "See More" > Printing & Scan Driver (Driver) ver. V1.00.36_00.91 - Linux (MULTI LANGUAGE,14.66 MB) > Download
That downloads a .gz (zipped) file, which you can unzip by right-clicking on it > Open with archive manager.
Before unzipping it, I would create a folder for it somewhere, to serve as a permanent storage. Move it there before uncompressing.

Then after unzipping, open the "uld" folder and you will see the "noarch" and "x86_64" folders, and the .sh files.
Right-click on the empty space in the "uld" folder > Open In Terminal
In the terminal, enter the command

Code: Select all

sudo ./install.sh
You will be presented with a very annoying EULA that you have to page down through before you can accept it at the end. If you page down too far, it will quit and you will have to start over.
That should be all you need.
I would imagine that you already have your Printer added. If not do:
Menu > System > Printers (configure) > Add New > Samsung SCX-4623
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Sciamano
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sciamano »

I'm resuming this old post because I'm having the same problem with my Samsung SCX-4623F and Linux Mint 19.1 64-bit innamon.
The printer was autodetected by the system and works properly, but the scanner does not: simple-scan would display the correct make/model in the Preferences but it will not scan.
I've tried launching it with the "--debug" option and it would say that extra software was needed (drivers).
I've followed the above instructions and installed the scanner drivers by launching the install-scanner.sh file in the downloaded uld folder, but nothing has changed.
Also, scan detection in both simple-scan and "scanimage -L" only works once, after which the scanner would not be detected anymore

EDIT:
I've found a solution to the scanner being detected only once (found here), but simple-scan will still not scan.
It looks like a problem with simple-scan since launching the command:

scanimage -d xerox_mfp:libusb:001:006 --format=png -p >test.png
works perfectly.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

UPDATE
After testing for the whole day, this is what I've found out:

Scenario #1: the MFP is attached to the computer through a USB 3 hub into a USB 3 socket on the laptop.

luca@luca-EZbook:~$ sane-find-scanner 

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
 # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
 # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
 # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

could not open USB device 0x0b95/0x1790 at 002:009: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x05e3/0x0612 at 002:008: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0003 at 002:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x058f/0x5608 at 001:007: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x8087/0x0a2a at 001:005: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x0bda/0x0129 at 001:003: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04e8 [Samsung], product=0x3434 [SCX-4623 Series]) at libusb:001:020
could not open USB device 0x062a/0x4102 at 001:019: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x05e3/0x0610 at 001:018: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 001:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
 # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
 # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
 # can't be detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
 # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
 # necessary

luca@luca-EZbook:~$ scanimage -L
device `xerox_mfp:libusb:001:020' is a Samsung Samsung SCX-4623 Series multi-function peripheral
In this configuration scanning only works with scanimage as all the other sane-based programs (xsane, simple scan and so on) don't work (error is "failed to scan: unable to start scan" or similar)

Scenario #2. When the MFP is attached directly to the USB 3 socket of the laptop, these are the results:

could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0003 at 002:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x058f/0x5608 at 001:004: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x8087/0x0a2a at 001:003: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x0bda/0x0129 at 001:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04e8 [Samsung], product=0x3434 [SCX-4623 Series]) at libusb:001:005
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 001:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)

# necessary.

No log handling enabled - turning on stderr logging
snmp_send: Failure in sendto
device `xerox_mfp:libusb:001:016' is a Samsung Samsung SCX-4623 Series multi-function peripheral
device `smfp:SAMSUNG SCX-4623 Series on USB:0' is a SAMSUNG SCX-4623 Series on USB:0 Flatbed Scanner
Two scanners are detected, but scanning only works when selecting the smfp on USB:0.

Scenario #3: MFP attached directly to a USB 2 socket of the laptop:

No log handling enabled - turning on stderr logging
device `xerox_mfp:libusb:001:005' is a Samsung Samsung SCX-4623 Series multi-function peripheral
device `smfp:SAMSUNG SCX-4623 Series on USB:0' is a SAMSUNG SCX-4623 Series on USB:0 Flatbed Scanner

could not open USB device 0x058f/0x5608 at 001:007: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x8087/0x0a2a at 001:005: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x0bda/0x0129 at 001:003: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04e8 [Samsung], product=0x3434 [SCX-4623 Series]) at libusb:001:017

# necessary.

Basically the same as scenario #2

Conclusions:
I've reached the conclusion that the USB hub is somehow doing something that prevents the system to detect the scanner as "smfp:SAMSUNG SCX-4623 Series".
Still, the scanner is compatible with the xerox_mfp sane backend, so much so that scanimage works perfectly even when the MFP is attached to the USB hub.

Any insights on how to make the scanner work as xerox_mfp when attached to the USB3 socket (either directly or through the usb hub)?
Thanks

Return to “Printers & Scanners”