canon pixma mg6821 Not supported?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mountainhick

canon pixma mg6821 Not supported?

Post by mountainhick »

I found this web page, showing this model listed so bought the MG6821:

http://tutorialforlinux.com/2016/02/10/ ... asy-guide/

So I went and bought the printer, then trying to install, the Canon website linked to that web page has no driver available for Linux 64bit.

Am I just screwed or is there some work around to actually use this printer with LM?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: canon pixma mg6821 Not supported?

Post by richyrich »

If Canon doesn't support their own printers in Linux, then Linux can't support your printer either . . :(
mountainhick

Post by mountainhick »

Well, first problem solved, the Canon website OS selector defaulted to "linux 64bit", but there is a drop down menu to select just "linux" then there are deb drivers.

I have printing working with USB, but the scanner driver does not work, and I have no clue how to get it to work on wireless.
itsme4401

Post by itsme4401 »

Although you have a different AIO from mine, I guess going for scangearmp2* on the Canon-site will do the trick (after installation of course)
mountainhick

Post by mountainhick »

I'm baffled,

Went through installation a couple times. scanner drivers check out as installed, scanner not recognized by simple scan.

Only other thing I can think is maybe .rpm driver rather than .deb is needed?

Any thoughts?
mountainhick

Post by mountainhick »

Screw it, enough time wasted with this. Looks like HPLIP is the way to go with LM, I'll go exchange for an HP.
daison
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daison »

As it is mentioned here there is a scangearmp2 for working with scanner. Only thing they didn't mentioned, that after you installed .deb file, you see it nowhere. Every time you want to scan something you should start it on terminal. Just type there "scangearmp2". Or you can create an icon on desktop for starting it. But installing .deb files not adding any drivers to system, so other programs/applications can not working with scanner. That is what I know at this moment.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

mountainhick wrote:Screw it, enough time wasted with this. Looks like HPLIP is the way to go with LM, I'll go exchange for an HP.
I came to that conclusion years ago. I used to say that Canon printers come in three varieties: paperweight, doorstop, and boat anchor.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Printers & Scanners”