Canon MG7700 series and Mint 18 Cinnamon

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
larfingiraffe
Level 1
Level 1

Canon MG7700 series and Mint 18 Cinnamon

Post by larfingiraffe »

I have acquired a Canon MG7752, which is a part of the MG7700 series. Took a bit of a punt with this, being a Canon, but thought I'd try on two accounts. Firstly Canon say it does have limited support (in other parts of the world, not Europe) and secondly Gutenprint says its supported, albeit experimentally.

Having downloaded and installed Canon's own driver I can report that it does work and yes they are right when they say "limited functionality". It will only use A4 plain paper, simplex, and 600dpi. Still, it works well enough for printing the odd webpage or documents, if you're not too fussy.
I connect to mine over wired ethernet network. There are a number of websites with a tutorial on how to install the printer and while it wasn't quite as straightforward as they say (I had to manually install the packages before running their script) it did work in the end.

I'd like to use the Gutenprint driver as it has lots of extra functionality - changes paper type, simplex or duplex, change the resolution etc etc but I'm having some difficulty. Configuring on the cups browser screen. After "Add printer" it finds the Canon network printer but configures this backend :

Code: Select all

dnssd://Canon%20MG7700%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=00000000-0000-1000-8000-F80D60459D34
I then select the driver from the list : Canon PIXMA MG7752 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.11 (color, 2-sided printing).

When I send something to the printer, it simply spits out page after page. The fact that it is spitting out pages tells me that at least I'm reaching the device, but obviously in the wrong way. I have had numerous attempts at the connection string, nothing works. I have tried a USB connection, again, no printout although weirdly sometimes I hear a noise like the heads are printing but then ...blank paper again.

Has anyone managed to configure a MG7700 series printer with the gutenburg driver, either usb or network? What is the elusive connection string?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
revrora

Re: Canon MG7700 series and Mint 18 Cinnamon

Post by revrora »

Did you ever get this solved?
I'm having the same problem with my MG7700
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Canon MG7700 series and Mint 18 Cinnamon

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi revrora; sorry to hear of your troubles; can I suggest we help you get the Canon drivers installed; then you should have a working printer; you can check out if the options are all you need ..... we have a more lowly MG3100series and the Canon drivers work well for us;

Canon supply drivers packaged as rpm; debian or source code; in both 32bit and 64bit

for Mint, if you go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 90202.html and click to download and SAVE, you will be downloading cnijfilter2-5.20-1-deb.tar.gz; (where before Canon supplied drivers for each printer, this package now covers all recent inkjet printers)

leave the printer turned off for the meanwhile; if you open a terminal (control and alt and t keys ...) .. and to paste into the terminal, if you right-click at the text prompt space, you should see PASTE in the menu options:

the commands to paste into the terminal are:

cd Downloads
......hit the ENTER key after each paste ..........

tar -zxvf cnijfilter2-5.20-1-deb.tar.gz

cd cnijfilter2-5.20-1-deb
...... if you make the terminal full page now, as you can then see it running; and it will ask you some questions: is your printer usb connected? If you need to set it up wirelessly, here are Canon guidelines http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer ... ion_setup/

........ ok ......... if we now run the install script ...... if you follow the screen, it will at some stage ask you to turn on your printer ..

sudo ./install.sh
and it will likely call the printer MG7700USB ........ so if you have another icon (MG7700-series) that will be the gutenprint ....... that is not working, you may wish to delete that ..

SCANNER ...... the standard version of SANE does not support the scanner on your 7700 series; however the development version from here does https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+arch ... u/sane-git

let us know if you want advice on installing that;

in linux, folks often talk of "free" and to many that means freedom to choose; a very good printer driver that will support your printer is turboprint; http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint_ ... XMA_MG7750

..... for those that like the best, it supplies many, many options http://www.turboprint.info/download.html ......it comes as a free version, and you buy the full feature version for all its options

Return to “Printers & Scanners”