[SOLVED] Brother HL-2240D Not Printing in Mint 18

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintsolutions

[SOLVED] Brother HL-2240D Not Printing in Mint 18

Post by mintsolutions »

In MInt 17, I connected my Brother HL-2240D laser printer by USB cable, the drivers were automatically loaded and it worked from the outset.

This did not happen successfully in Mint 18. So I downloaded the Driver Install Tool from the HP website and installed according to the instructions on this page. http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... &type3=625

The printer appears in Printers as the default (HL-2240D-series). The on-screen notification indicates a successful print, printer LED's flash appropriately, but nothing comes out.

I don't understand why it appears to be installed, but then fails to print. I have tried everything I could find on the web, including on this forum.

I would like to purge all the installed printer files and start over. Can someone please suggest a step-by-step procedure for getting this printer to work under Mint 18? I have reports due out this week and I am getting desperate.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Brother HL-2240D Not Printing in Mint 18

Post by jimallyn »

Pjotr has written on how to get Brother printers working here:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/15
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
mintsolutions

Post by mintsolutions »

I tried that before but it did not work. Now it does, after I purged the previously installed drivers. Many thinks.
thextexan

Post by thextexan »

This worked fine for my HL-L2340D. Many thanks.
Torque14

Post by Torque14 »

lostpoetjj

Re: Brother HL-2240D Not Printing in Mint 18 ( <SOLVED> for Brother MFC-7420)

Post by lostpoetjj »

jimallyn wrote:Pjotr has written on how to get Brother printers working here:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/15
Pjotr's advice is correct; however, to get my Brother MFC-7420 to print on Linux Mint 18 (64-bit 'Serena', Cinnamon edition) I had to do an extra step. The drivers install okay but as of Linux Mint 18, the printer queue setup is not done correctly. This caused at least three problems:
  • * When I tried to use the printer from an application (eg, print a PDF using xviewer) the dialog box showed
    'Waiting for printer to become available'.
    * If I tried to print from the command line, eg 'lp -PMFC7420 file.txt', there would be a notification that the file was being printed, but nothing would print.
    * If I rebooted or restarted CUPS ('sudo service cups restart') with the printer attached and powered on, CUPS would configure a new entry for the printer using an incorrect driver.
To fix this I had to manually delete the printer queue added by Brother's script and create my own, as follows:

In System Settings -> Printers
  • 1. Remove the MFC7420 entry added by Brother script
    2. Add new entry for the printer. In 'Choose Driver', select 'Select Printer from Database', then Brother, then 'MFC7420 for CUPS'
    3. Configure the printer as you prefer.
    4. Test print.
My system's details:
System: Host: flint Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.1)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Machine: System: LENOVO (portable) product: 4286CTO v: ThinkPad X220
Mobo: LENOVO model: 4286CTO
Bios: LENOVO v: 8DET58WW (1.28 ) date: 02/14/2012
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-2540M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10366
clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 823 MHz 2: 808 MHz 3: 874 MHz
4: 857 MHz
oceanfish55

Post by oceanfish55 »

There is a simple option to install Brother HL-2240D in Mint 18.1
1. Install GDebi package installer through Linux Software Manager.
2. Find drivers, Generic CUPSwrapper printer driver (deb package), and Generic LPR printer driver (deb package), at Brother Support/Download; Link: http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... all&os=128
3. Download drivers: Generic CUPSwrapper printer driver (deb package), and Generic LPR printer driver (deb package).
4. Install using Gdebi, i. e., right-click on CUPS, and subsequently on LPR.
Good luck!

Return to “Printers & Scanners”