HP Laserjet 1018

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

HP Laserjet 1018

Post by siawacsh »

Hello, before anyone point me to the other thread on HPLIP please be informed that I have done that and worn the T-shirt several times.

My system in Mint 17.3. 64 bit
I have installed new physical USB ports.
I have also checked out my USB cable.

Instead of going into a long story here, I thought the best thing would be to record my steps and insert the link here for the clip.

This problem is a year old which I experienced first with Mint 17.2. At the time, this tutorials solved the problem
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/14

But since installing Mint 17.3 I have been without access to my printer.

I went to the extent of replacing my physical USB ports. I have also tested my USB cable on other machines which confirm they also work.
The lsusb command also shows the printer is detected by the system. Yet each time I install the driver I end up with a message saying "no printers detected" or something to that effect.

Printer installation process. I did not show how I downloaded the driver from HPLIP. But you can rest assured it is the latest.
https://youtu.be/77GkNH9W9Ko

Printer diagnostics
https://youtu.be/77GkNH9W9Ko

I hope some one can help before I decide to buy a better supported printer. Pjotr once says he has the same printer and Mint 18 no longer has these printer issues. I tried to install Mint 18 but ran into nvidia problems. Post installation I would get a mint logo followed by a black screen. There was no boot loader menu to let me try compatibility mode which might allow me to go in and install the drivers manually. Probably a story for another thread.

Any help on the printer would be warmly appreciated.

Regards
Siawacsh
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: HP Laserjet 1018

Post by Pjotr »

You might have better results for the Nvidia graphics with Linux Mint 18.1 Xfce bèta. The HP Laserjet 1018 is no problem in Mint 18.x anyway (I know, because I have one myself).

If you wish to keep 17.x, do this:

a. Launch the application Printers from the menu, and remove the existing instance of the Laserjet 1018.
Then close the application Printers.

b. Launch a terminal window.

c. Execute the following series of terminal commands (always use copy/paste to transfer them to the terminal, in order to avoid typo's):

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get remove hplip cups-filters cups hplip-data system-config-printer-udev

sudo rm -v -rf /usr/share/hplip

sudo apt-get install printer-driver-foo2zjs printer-driver-foo2zjs-common

sudo apt-get install tix groff dc cups cups-filters

sudo getweb 1018

d. Disconnect the USB cable of the printer, count to five and reconnect it.

e. Launch the application Printers again from the menu and add your printer; you may have to click on the "refresh" button (the round arrow) first. Then print a test page.

f. Reboot your computer and turn the printer off and on. All should be well now permanently.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Hi Pjotr, I followed your instructions to the letter but the driver is still not working. Keep getting messages that printer is NOT connected.
But lsusb command says it is listed. I have recorded the process if want to look at what I did.

I recently had to upgrade my hard drive and had an opportunity to upgrade the OS. As mentioned I tried Mint 18 Cinamon without luck due to the nvidia issue. I am not sure how I feel about XFCE. I suppose I will have to do it if I have no choice. Everything else on Mint 17.3 is fine.

I seem to be the only one experiencing these problems because I do not see any dedicated tutorials for either nvidia or HP printers. That means I have work blind on trail and error. The last installation took three days. First I started with Mint 18 trying to get it to go into compatibility mode, but no luck. That took a whole day each install giving black screen. Then I would try again. Mint 17.3 was not much easier. But at least I could get compatibility mode.

Hope you can help.
Siawacsh
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Go for 18.1 Xfce bèta. If you disable all visual effects, it should work very reliably:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID5.3
(item 5.3)

When even that fails, try Peppermint OS 7, which is based on Ubuntu 16.04 as well, which should ensure an easy installation of your HP Laserjet 1018.
Last edited by Pjotr on Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Thanks Pjotr, I am going to have to set aside a couple of days for this. If you are sure Peppermint will support my nvidia, I would rather save time and not bother trying Mint XFCE.

Please let me know.

Siawacsh
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

siawacsh wrote:Thanks Pjotr, I am going to have to set aside a couple of days for this. If you are sure Peppermint will support my nvidia, I would rather save time and not bother trying Mint XFCE.

Please let me know.

Siawacsh
I'm sure about Peppermint, because it's also based on Ubuntu 16.04. And that's where your printer support depends on. :)
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Yes but I remember Ubuntu 14.04 had problems recognizing my nvidia as well.

Siawacsh
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I have to wonder why your printer isn't working on Mint 17.3. The LaserJet 1018 has been supported in the HPLIP drivers for a long, long time, and HPLIP comes installed by default in all versions of Mint. I have Peppermint running in VirtualBox, and while I haven't played with it a lot, it looks like a pretty decent distro to me. And I've never seen Pjotr steer anybody wrong!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Thanks Jimallyn, I cannot explain away my printer problems. All I can say is that I have had problems with Mint 17. And prior to that I was using a Samsung ML-1675 which was rock solid on all distros. Unfortunately I had to donate that to a family member. I miss it so much.

It was due to this problem I thought I play it safe and replace my physical USB ports. It shows up when I do lsusb, but when I try to print it says printer cannot connect.

I take on board what you say about Pjtor. He is a gem for going for putting so much efforts into all those tutorials.

Siawacsh
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Did you see this info on the hplip site http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/mo ... _1018.html suggesting you must setup the printer by running hp-setup to install both the driver and the required plugin?
Driver Plugin Information:

This printer REQUIRES a downloadable driver plug-in, which is required to enable print, fax or scan support. Use hp-setup to install the printer, and to download and install the plug-in. Driver plug-ins are released under a proprietary (non-open) license and are not part of the HPLIP tarball release.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Hi Ajgreeny, yes if you look at my first post I use simplescreenrecorder to record what steps I have taken. There are two recordings. One is called installation and the other diagnostics. The first is 13 minutes long and the second only two minutes. The plugin was definitely part of the process.

Thank you for responding.

Siawacsh
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Pjtor, just letting you know I tried Peppermint 7. It looks like Ubuntu 16.04 has not improved the nvidia situation. When I boot into the installation DVD I get a menu to try it out, install, memory test, boot from hdd. The first two options go into a progress bar which eventually end in a black screen.

Tomorrow I will try Mint XFCE. But I am not too optimistic.

Can you think of alternatives if that does not work either?

Cheers
Siawacsh
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Re: HP Laserjet 1018 SOLVED

Post by siawacsh »

Just to let everybody, particularly pjtor know that I managed to finally install Mint Cinamon 18.1. I discovered the tutorial nomodeset tutorial under release notes. Fairly convoluted but nevertheless I managed. Well done to me!

https://linuxmint.com/rel_sarah_cinnamon.php

And true to form pjtor was absolutely correct regarding the HP 1018 drivers. It was picked up by default without any driver installation. The scanner has always worked on all versions of Mint.

Fantastic!

You guys are not going to loose me to another distro after all.!

Siawacsh
tcasey25

Post by tcasey25 »

I had the same issue. i recently replaced and HP Office Jet with an HP Laser Jet 1020 and encountered the the same set of circumstances.
I found the fix in this forum: HP Laserjet 1018 by siawacsh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:47 pm

The fix was provided by Pjotr » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:49 pm

The following commands had to be entered:
Note: I changed 1018 to 1020 in the last command. Worked like a charm. now I can print once again. Hope this helps one and all.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get remove hplip cups-filters cups hplip-data system-config-printer-udev

sudo rm -v -rf /usr/share/hplip

sudo apt-get install printer-driver-foo2zjs printer-driver-foo2zjs-common

sudo apt-get install tix groff dc cups cups-filters

sudo getweb 1018

d. Disconnect the USB cable of the printer, count to five and reconnect it.

e. Launch the application Printers again from the menu and add your printer; you may have to click on the "refresh" button (the round arrow) first. Then print a test page.

f. Reboot your computer and turn the printer off and on.
danielson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by danielson »

@Pjotr - just to say thank you, as this works for me to! :)

Having HPLaserJet 1018 these days is a real pain (Windows and Linux).

Did your "protocol" while printer was unplugged all along until the end.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

danielson wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:45 pm @Pjotr - just to say thank you, as this works for me to! :)

Having HPLaserJet 1018 these days is a real pain (Windows and Linux).

Did your "protocol" while printer was unplugged all along until the end.
Good to hear that it still works in modern-day Mint... Did you apply it in Mint 21 or in an older Mint?
danielson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by danielson »

Mint 21 - haven't tried to see if it works with MATE yet tho.

Don't see why it won't.

XFCE does best thus far on my ol' DELL laptop (with SSD).
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

danielson wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:54 pm Mint 21 - haven't tried to see if it works with MATE yet tho.

Don't see why it won't.
Indeed so; this works regardless of desktop environment. No need to test MATE for this, therefore.

For easier reference I've added the how-to to my website:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... .html#ID15
(item 15)

On the Draft page, because although it has been tested by you in Mint 21, it has not been tested by me yet. :)
danielson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by danielson »

@Pjotr - appreciate that tip, thanks!

Btw, just to be sure, did install MATE 21 this a.m. and it works fine there too. ;)

Return to “Printers & Scanners”