UScutter - address it over USB0

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
milesteg

UScutter - address it over USB0

Post by milesteg »

I have recently purchased a UScutter SC 801 - 34" vinyl cutter. My intent is to use it with my Linux Mint 17.1 (cinnamon) - i7, using Inkscape. Here is where I am at:

I am starting from scratch:
1. New installation of Inkscape – I went to the newest version 0.92.1
2. My Vinyl cutter is a UScutter – model SC 801 – a 34″ wide cutter – newly purchased
3. I am using Linux Mint 17.1, cinnamon, on an i7 processor
4. No 9 pin serial port on this machine, only USB – wanting to use USB.

I am not sure – but I think the first step is to ensure that my UScutter is recognized. I did the following below:
~ $ dmesg | grep tty
[ 0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
[ 0.912127] 00:0b: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4, base_baud = 115200) is a 16550A
[ 8.291735] usb 3-4: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

I think this means the device is attached, but I do not know how to assure this or make sure it will survive a reboot.

I go into Inkscape – draw a simple square with no fill
go to Path > Object to Path
Extensions > Export > Plot… a new menu pops up with 3 tabs, Connection Settings, Plotter Settings, and Plot Features
Connection settings – Serial Port : COM1 – I am not sure how to reconcile USB0 to COM1
Serial Baud: 9600
Plotter settings – I left these as default, mostly pen force, speed, etc until I can get activity

I say – “Apply” and get an error window
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “plotter.py”, line 268, in
e.affect()
File “/usr/share/inkscape/extensions/inkex.py”, line 283, in affect
self.effect()
File “plotter.py”, line 98, in effect
self.sendHpglToSerial()
File “plotter.py”, line 199, in sendHpglToSerial
if ‘ould not open port’ in inst.strerror:
TypeError: argument of type ‘NoneType’ is not iterable

I am think this has to do with configuration of serial ports but I do not understand it and must research in more detail. If someone understands this and can point me, I would greatly appreciate it. Looking to "Stay Linux" - the unfaithful are wanting to convert me back to Windows - no way!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: UScutter - address it over USB0

Post by pdc_2 »

there doesn't seem to be a lot on the forums: one earlier post is from 2010 and then runs till 2014 https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1512795

best to work through the sequence but I see post #7 talks of
chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB0
milesteg

Post by milesteg »

I have been to that one, but that driver is old, from 2010 and other forums advise not to use it. I see there is a program called tux plot, but it cost $49. I think if I can get the driver worked out correctly, I should be able to cut from Inkscape direcly.
milesteg

Post by milesteg »

I must also add that when I plug in the cutter and:

~ $ dmesg | grep tty
[42894.649479] usb 3-4: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

I think this is a good sign
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

UScutter and TuxPlot that runs on debian/ubuntu

Post by pdc_2 »

so tuxplot sounds promising: http://securetech-ns.ca/tuxplot.html
Tux Plot runs on modern Debian based Linux distributions and has been extensively tested on Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 and Mint 17/18.
Tux Plot has been created with small business/shop in mind. My 30 years experience in the computerized engraving industry hopefully has given me the insight to provide features and functions in Tux Plot most busy and diverse shops will appreciate and use effectively.
I am guessing the guy would give you good support too
milesteg

Post by milesteg »

I have decided that I will purchase Tux Plot for $49. This application seems to best suit my needs and he seems committed to long term support. The software also appears to facilitate other initiatives I have but have not yet followed up on. I am glad a small guy can make a buck, and keep me in Linux!

Thanks for the support!
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

great news for you both! Enjoy; give us some feedback after a while on how it is all going:
gary_in_springhill

Post by gary_in_springhill »

As the Tux Plot developer I thank you for your support.
I've added new features and support for many new cutters in v4.5

With Mint/Ubuntu now a VERY viable small biz platform I feel $69 for Tux Plot v4.5 is a minor cost to enjoy all the benefits of linux.

Thanks
Gary
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

UScutter : Tux Plot drives it well and is supported

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks Gary; glad folks are supporting you; we will definitely suggest folks talk to you; and hopefully this thread will give them something to find too

Return to “Printers & Scanners”