Printer not working

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Trying Again
Level 1
Level 1

Printer not working

Post by Trying Again » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:47 pm

You gotta be kidding me - it's 2017 - why is installing a printer on Linux is such a pain in the @SS? In my younger years I would have loved this challenge. But all I want to do is print out a freaking shipping label!

Does anyone have a link **that works** to the driver for a Brother MFC-6800 I can double-click and watch while it installs? I'm tired of wasting hours and hours trying this and trying that only to have the OS still tell me the print status is Completed, yet nothing has come out of the printer.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Printer not working

Post by jimallyn » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:18 pm

I have only very rarely had any problem installing printers in Linux, in the 14 years I have been using it. But then, I usually buy HP printers, and they just work.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/15

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Brother MFC-L8600CDW install

Post by pdc_2 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:48 pm

so Trying Again; sorry to hear of your troubles; it must all be very frustrating; very irritating;

I thought if I gave you some things to copy and paste: would that help? Perhaps best if you delete any Brother printer icons that have been created; and are sitting in your PRINTERS folder; (to make things simpler):

Firstly, if you go here http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... &type3=625 and click to download and save what Brother call their Driver Install Tool: it should end up saved in your Downloads folder and I am assuming that;

then if you open a terminal; (control alt t buttons) and if you right-click in the prompt space in the terminal, the PASTE command should be visible; then if you copy the commands below and paste them in; hit the enter key after each paste;
cd Downloads
gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz
sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1 MFC-6800
that should get the install tool rolling; do follow the terminal as it does its thing; as it may ask you some questions; we hope this may help

...... I have edited this: I had got the model number wrong
Last edited by pdc_2 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

grumpy_geek
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Printer not working

Post by grumpy_geek » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:30 am

Trying Again wrote:Brother MFC-6800
Did you try as suggested by Brother's Support ...?

Return to “Printers & Scanners”