LM 18.1 network path problems?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Floktndr
Level 1
Level 1

LM 18.1 network path problems?

Post by Floktndr »

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8500-A909g all-in-one printer/scanner/fax machine. My computer is about an year old w/Intel 6700 processor and nVidia GT 960 sound card, using LinuxMint18.1, I can't get the Officejet to scan to the network folder that is residing on my desktop.With my linux firewall enabled an error message saying it can't find the remote computer pops up and when I disable the firewall an error message saying check my network path, there is nothing there to scan to. BTW, I had the same problem with LinuxMint 17.3, I had hoped that a newer version would work.

Question: in order to start somewhere on troubleshooting could someone tell me the exact network path to that Scans file? The computer name is Us-PC and when I check properties on the Scans file it says the location is: /home/us/Desktop.
When I re-install the printer, which I have done many times now as well as the drivers (hp-3.16.11), the path that most often comes up is: \\Us-PC\home\us\Desktop\Scans. Would that be the correct path? I have also tried using 192.168.1.5 (computer IP) in place of Us-PC and that doesn't work either.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.3 64 bit, Cinnamon 3.6.7
4-core Intel i7-6700 @ 4.00ghz 4-core, Kernel 4.16.2
Nvidia GTX 960, 2TB SSD harddrive
DeMus

Re: LM 18.1 network path problems?

Post by DeMus »

Is it so important to have the scanned documents in a particular folder? Does the machine scan at all? For me that would be more important.
You can't find a scanner setting somewhere which says documents are placed here or there?
I don't have an HP but use an Epson printer/scanner and my docs are placed in the folder I stored in the scanner software, which btw is a program called vuescan (vuescan.com, not free, but great, works all the time)
Try to find a setting to store the documents where you want them to be stored. Or, move them afterwards.
Floktndr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Floktndr »

I can't get get a document to anything on my computer except by emailing it to myself as an attachment and then saving it to where ever i might want it. That is workable, but slow and clumsy, and I guess i am just old enough and silly enough that i would like the system to work as it supposedly was meant to.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so I don't have an HP; but when you say "the path that most often comes up is: \\Us-PC\home\us\Desktop\Scans." ..... can you help us understand where this path gets listed please ...

.......... it sort of looks a very MS way of writing things ............ particularly with backslashes ........... if your user name was Flok I would wonder the pathway mightn't look more like /home/Flok/Scans .......... I just create a directory called Scans in my home folder, rather it being a directory inside Desktop ..........

there must be some default pathways or rather options where you can set these ......... I enclose a screenshot of LibreOffice ........ this is sort of thing you want? .... I wonder if anyone reading this; who has an HP; can load up hplip as a gui and look such help .......
Floktndr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Floktndr »

The backward slash method for the directory is the way the embedded web server for this HP product says to type it in, in the example that they show on the network setup page. When I install/re-install automatically, the aforementioned path is what comes up automatically. When I have my firewall enabled the save and test command says that it can't find the remote computer, is it turned on? When I disable the firewall, then the error message says it needs the correct path to the file. That is the reason for my original question on the network path to that Scans folder, it seems like the correct network path is the place to start for troubleshooting. And I am far from being a literate computer person, so that is why I asked.
The desktop is my preferred place for that folder.
I don't have a preference for how the path looks, just that it works, if possible.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”