Mint 18 unwanted printers [solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Mint 18 unwanted printers [solved]

Post by AndyMH »

I've got a Lenovo T410 running 17.3 with three printers intstalled:
  • Brother HL4140CN - network printer hard wired
    XP305-Network - Epson with wireless on the network
    XP305-USB - same Epson, but when its plugged in via USB
That it ALL that is showing in printers.

I've just got a T430 and have installed Mint 18 on it. It has the same printers as above but keeps adding:
  • hl4140cn
    xp-305-network
These don't work because the URI is wrong. I've have deleted these printers, after a couple of seconds they re-appear. I've tried view and unchecking 'discovered printers'. It makes no difference, they just re-appear. Confusing, because when you are in an app, e.g. libre write and go to print these printers show up, and have to remember which is the 'real' one.

Don't have this problem in 17.3, how do I make it go away in 18?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 18 unwanted printers

Post by Neil Edmond »

I don't have the answer, but will join you in seeking one, as I have a similar issue with Mint 17.3...
If I recall, each of my printers show two entries on the printers list, one works and the other doesn't.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 18 unwanted printers

Post by altair4 »

I've never gone out of my way to disable it but these "discovered" printers are due to a service called cups-browsed. The difference between Mint 17 and 18 is systemd.

If you stop the cups-browsed service systemd will think you are kidding so it restarts it. What you might want to try is disabling the service instead:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl mask cups-browsed
Then reboot. A "mask" will prevent the service from being started.

Should that not fix things unmask it:

sudo systemctl unmask cups-browsed
Followed by a:

sudo systemctl start cups-browsed
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mint 18 unwanted printers [solved]

Post by AndyMH »

Thanks for the info, haven't used it, but filed away for future reference.

The way I fixed it was to go into printers, select one that I had manually installed, goto properties and copy the URI. Then goto into properties for the same printer that Mint is adding automatically (it will take a while, it cant find the right print queue from memory), and paste the correct URI and save/apply. Now you can delete the printer that was added manually.

Note - you MUST NOT change the printer's name, if you do that Mint will simply add it again with the original name.

On reboot you see the right number of printers with no duplicates.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

In addition to my previous, I've also tried, as suggested:

sudo systemctl mask cups-browsed
Worked! It has survived several re-boots and the unwanted printers are not coming back. This would be my preferred method and having done a complete re-install of my Mint 18.1 is what I've done. Many thanks for the info.
letarch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by letarch »

Try it:
systemctl mask cups-browsed
It's worked. System-config-printer not have printer.
But libreoffice have ~7 printers when printing...
How-to fix it?

Return to “Printers & Scanners”