Epson 430 printer ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rc_racer
Level 3
Level 3

Epson 430 printer ?

Post by rc_racer »

I am considering the New Epson 430 all in one printer. I use Mint 18 (Sarah) and the printer utility that came in the system settings had no trouble downloading the Drivers for my canon mg2120 printer which is no longer working. The sales person said that epson has recently updated their line of printers and so my question is this. Will the printer application in my current version of mint be able to download these new drivers and recognize this printer because it is so new or will I have to figure out how to download the necessary drivers myself.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DeMus

Re: Epson 430 printer ?

Post by DeMus »

Is that the complete type number for the printer: Epson 430? Isn't it something like XP-430, or any other letter combination?
When I installed drivers for my XP-530 all in one printer I installed the Gutenprint package. Because the 530 is not mentioned in their list of printers I chose for the XP-820 and now my printer is working fine. I can set it up just the way I want it, including the 5760x2880 dpi for the best color photo prints.
rc_racer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rc_racer »

DeMus wrote:Is that the complete type number for the printer: Epson 430? Isn't it something like XP-430, or any other letter combination?
When I installed drivers for my XP-530 all in one printer I installed the Gutenprint package. Because the 530 is not mentioned in their list of printers I chose for the XP-820 and now my printer is working fine. I can set it up just the way I want it, including the 5760x2880 dpi for the best color photo prints.
Yes there is. It is an XP-430 printer. I was wondering if all I have to do is hook it up and let the printer utility find the drivers and get it set up. I have never set up a printer using Linux until I used this utility after I installed the OS and it set up my canon printer with no difficulty at all. You said you installed the Gutenprint package. Is this found in the software manger list of applications available for Mint? or would I have to look elsewhere? and would I have to install this differently then I did when I installed my canon printer?
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

I'm sorry but I can't tell you if the Gutenprint package is in the Mint software repo's since I don't use it at the moment.
I did notice when I installed a Canon printer on SolydXK it was recognized instantly, without having to install a driver at all.
So, yes there are differences between printers.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

rc_racer wrote:I am considering the New Epson 430 all in one printer. I use Mint 18 (Sarah) and the printer utility that came in the system settings had no trouble downloading the Drivers for my canon mg2120 printer which is no longer working. The sales person said that epson has recently updated their line of printers and so my question is this. Will the printer application in my current version of mint be able to download these new drivers and recognize this printer because it is so new or will I have to figure out how to download the necessary drivers myself.
Go to this link and install the .deb 64 or 32 bit for your computer.

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Eps ... 400_Series
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Epson XP-430 printer .. Epson also supply drivers

Post by pdc_2 »

and another option is to go to Epson; http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX

and type in the model number, which seems to be

Code: Select all

xp-430
and that takes you to here: http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... 2fc58077f2

and for a 64bit system, Epson recommend their epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.13-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb which was updated in Feb this year

....... as a deb package, when one clicks to download it, if one clicks to OPEN the package, (instead of saving it ......), gdebi installer is likely to jump in and offer to do the installation: one should gratefully accept this offer of help;

_______

Canon now package their drivers with install scripts; Epson don't for the printer drivers; so after installing the driver, one may need to go to PRINTERS and select the ADD button top-left, and get the system to register the new printer;

Mint's auto-detection of new printers may use gutenprint as a printer driver; so you may get 2 icons for a new printer; if one right-clicks on the icon for each, and looks at MAKE & MODEL, that will tell you which printer driver is installed .....
DeMus

Re: Epson XP-430 printer .. Epson also supply drivers

Post by DeMus »

pdc_2 wrote:and another option is to go to Epson; http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX
I did this for my printer and got the very basic driver with a maximum dpi of 300x300. So I searched and found the Gutenprint driver which gives me the full potential of my printer.
chrisonmint

Post by chrisonmint »

FWIW, I found the Epson experience to be very good for my XP-235
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=217894

Installed drivers from the epson website (chose "Ubuntu" one) and printing and scanning are all working over Wifi.
rc_racer
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Epson XP-430 printer .. Epson also supply drivers

Post by rc_racer »

pdc_2 wrote:and another option is to go to Epson; http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX

and type in the model number, which seems to be

Code: Select all

xp-430
and that takes you to here: http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... 2fc58077f2

and for a 64bit system, Epson recommend their epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.13-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb which was updated in Feb this year

....... as a deb package, when one clicks to download it, if one clicks to OPEN the package, (instead of saving it ......), gdebi installer is likely to jump in and offer to do the installation: one should gratefully accept this offer of help;

_______

Canon now package their drivers with install scripts; Epson don't for the printer drivers; so after installing the driver, one may need to go to PRINTERS and select the ADD button top-left, and get the system to register the new printer;

Mint's auto-detection of new printers may use gutenprint as a printer driver; so you may get 2 icons for a new printer; if one right-clicks on the icon for each, and looks at MAKE & MODEL, that will tell you which printer driver is installed .....
I went and got a cheap canon MG 2522 that will get me by for now and I did get 2 Icons for the printer and it is up and running. I think I still would like to get the epson XP-430 but I figured this was a good choice in case it takes me awhile to figure out how to get the drivers from these recommended web sites downloaded successfully. Thanks

Return to “Printers & Scanners”