Epson XP-310 Scanner Drivers Mate 18

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Epson XP-310 Scanner Drivers Mate 18

Post by pcpunk »

I've not been able to get the scanner working wireless on a Lenovo G560 running Mate 18. I saw some directions viewtopic.php?p=1241630#p1241630 that I think will work but any information I can get would be great. Need to fix this on my customers pc, and when I installed this there was not a lot of good info out there on how to fix this. I think one of the members here said the scanner driver was not putting the Driver in the right Directory for it to work. I searched but only found that one link above, can someone direct me to another good link unless the one I posted is good enough.

I also wonder if Epson has fixed this?

Thanks, pcpunk
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
richyrich

Re: Epson XP-310 Scanner Drivers Mate 18

Post by richyrich »

Have you checked at Epson to see if there are new drivers available ?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Richy is absolutely right: if you start here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX at the Epson linux doorway; and type in xp-310 it takes you to

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... 47daf00be9 and if you click accept, you get what is at the bottom of the page;

(also shown below in the screenshot) ....... so click on the top line of those three Package Download Page and you get the page is called SCAN in screenshot below: all the deb packages in the top area; all the rpm ones below

you need debian as you are Mint; and you need to know if you are 32bit or 64bit: you should end up installing a package: accept the offer to OPEN when you click to download; and gdebi installer* should do it all for you; reboot; and hopefully the scanner will work ......

* I see the package is called iscan-bundle: I see that our system offers to open it with Archive Manager as default: I clicked to change that; it only offered Archive Manager; I click to search for other applications: I followed the alphabet down to g and chose gdebi installer and set it to "Do this with future applications" ............ meaning when I click to download .deb packages
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

pcpunk wrote:...but any information I can get would be great...
I have an Epson XP-640 Small-in-One and I found the following steps to work for me:

First, download and install “Image Scan”.
To enable Wi-Fi for Epson devices, you have to edit two configuration files on your system (to edit the files, you'll need to be root):

/etc/sane.d/dll.conf and /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf.

Open dll.conf and observing the alphabetical order, insert the following 2 entries:

epson2
net

Open epson2.conf

and after the listing of

usb
scsi

add the following:
net (followed by the IP address of your device [example 192.168.1.20])

This should enable wi-fi for iscan, simple scan and Xsane in Linux Mint 18.

In my router's setup, I manually assigned the IP address for the printer. That way, the net 192.168.1.20 will always point to the printer.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

How to enable the wi-fi connection was covered in Tutorials:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=225289

Some people have experienced problems installing the scanner drivers using the "install script". The bundled files can be installed individually. Unpack the tar bundle using "extract here" will reveal the folders with the essential deb files which can be installed with a double click. Please note that the iscan-data file should be installed before the iscan file and if you want networking, install the iscan-network-nt as well.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

I first tried this, but now think I should have used Pluma. I forget if gedit is included by default? Because nothing came up at all?

Code: Select all

sudo gksu gedit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

@ richyrich, Yes I looked and they looked newer at the epson site, so I chose to remove the old ones in SPM by removing ALL, or whatever the Term is to remove all config files etc. I then downloaded and installed using gdebi in the proper order, Data, Core, then Networking(Or whatever it's called) then rebooted. Still have no Wireless Scanning with either Simple Scan, Xsane or Image Scan.

@JerryF, don't know where to go from here Jerry, I don't want to make things worse. I had all this working with Ubuntu Mate but based on 14.04 with the drivers from the Epson site all doing the same way. Printing works Wireless but no scan. I may have to try this, but the customer don't Scan all that often so left it as Scan by USB Only. Luckily he can do this with his setup.
I guess by this you mean the Drivers? Image Scan is included in Mint as far as I know.

@kyphi, Thanks, that is a great Tutorial, hope it works for me. However don't understand this part: The 1865 Thing?

net - followed by the IP address of your device followed by (say) 1865
So it should look something like this

usb
scsi
net 198.162.1.1 The 1865 Thing here, don't understand that
Wish this was a little simpler guys, or at lest some really clear instructions. Is the first link I posted not relevant? I also remember Pjtor had a tutorial also, why are they all different? I made the mistake of Installing Mate 18, there were no such problems with 17.xx

This next attempt will probably be from Teamviewer also, just to add a little more complexity to it lol, well...for me at least.

Thanks, pcpunk
Super Clean Runs Perfect
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

pcpunk wrote:I first tried this, but now think I should have used Pluma. I forget if gedit is included by default? Because nothing came up at all?

sudo gksu gedit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

@JerryF, don't know where to go from here Jerry, I don't want to make things worse. I had all this working with Ubuntu Mate but based on 14.04 with the drivers from the Epson site all doing the same way. Printing works Wireless but no scan. I may have to try this, but the customer don't Scan all that often so left it as Scan by USB Only. Luckily he can do this with his setup.
I guess by this you mean the Drivers? Image Scan is included in Mint as far as I know.
I just use my File Manager, right-click on an empty area, then select Open as Root. Then go to the files and open them with your text editor---no terminal needed.

I would recommend making a copy of the files that you're going to edit. That way, you'd have the original files to put back if needed.

Image Scan is not included with Mint. Simple Scan is. You would need to go here to download Image Scan: http://support.epson.net/linux/en/iscan ... sion=1.0.4
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

If you have installed the Scanner Bundle using the install script or installed the scanner files from the unpacked bundle individually then you already have Image Scan installed - it will be in your Graphics sub-menu.

Regarding the 1865, that is the default described in /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf which shows a sample configuration for the EPKOWA SANE backend.

Remember to turn your firewall OFF. If you want it set to ON later then you have to adjust the firewall settings.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

kyphi wrote:If you have installed the Scanner Bundle using the install script or installed the scanner files from the unpacked bundle individually then you already have Image Scan installed - it will be in your Graphics sub-menu.
I see, that makes sense and I did try it with Image Scan.
kyphi wrote:Regarding the 1865, that is the default described in /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf which shows a sample configuration for the EPKOWA SANE backend.
So right after the ip address, one space then the 1865? I see, need to take a look at it all. I have Mate 18 installed on one of my pc's so will get to it and see what I can do before I work on his pc again.
kyphi wrote:Remember to turn your firewall OFF. If you want it set to ON later then you have to adjust the firewall settings.
WHAT! LOL, I don't know how to set the UFW lol...O-boy. Is that info in the README or in the config file? I'm not all that technical guys so you may need to guide me a little more with some of this...pleeease haha. Don't go to far out of your way though as he will only need it once in a while, but I need to know how to do it also.

What I don't understand is why does this one not work, is it for Ubuntu, and are the config files for Ubuntu different? Clearly this Driver is newer than the other one I used back in Oct of 2016, so I was hoping it would work OOTB?

Would it have made a difference if this newer Printer Driver was installed before the scanner?: "ESC/P-R Driver (generic driver)" 03-23-2017

What about the "ESC/P Driver (full feature)" this one is older but does it include a Scanner Driver?

Looks like another nasty email to Epson is in order LOL.

Thanks, pcpunk
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so pcpunk; you are getting lots of advice; you are still weighing it and no steps taken yet? That is correct?

My suggestion initally was to run the Epson scanner bundle install; ..... sort of as Epson make the device; and well ................ Epson make the software; and ..................... one sort of hopes they have the chance to try this stuff out; as they presumably have access to the occasional machine; ........... to see what works .. in their spare time ..............

so my thinking was: let's try the easy way: install the package from Epson; it is only one package; see if it works, it if doesn't move on to edit files, if the install script hasn't done that;

we have an Epson XP-410 that scans well wirelessly; I only had to edit the file epkowa.conf that sits inside the folder sane.d that sits inside /etc

so I would have edited it with gedit, as we use that; .........install gedit with

sudo apt install gedit
......... if you cannot see it sitting in your Accessories folder

and to edit that file I would have done

gksudo gedit /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf
and if you get the ip address of the Epson by going into setup and printing the network information page; the screenshot below shows all we needed to do;

just that line that starts with net where one removes the # to make the line active; and then adds the ip address the epson spits out when go into its menu

and to our pleasure and surprise, it all worked

___

that is my half-penny worth!
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

so pcpunk; you are getting lots of advice; you are still weighing it and no steps taken yet? That is correct?
I need to make sure I get the correct information before I go back and fix this for my client, that is why I'm trying to get good directions. There have been multiple suggestions so far you see? and, I already tried that first set of directions I posted in first Post. Those directions were for gedit, and I forgot gedit is not installed by default, so I did not understand at the time why it did not work, why don't people just give directions for Pluma? I may try to do this tonight with another Epson Printer I have, but it may not be the same situation at all, as the Epson XP-310 is a cheapo, and the 845 is a pretty nice printer. I think the one I have is a Workforce 845.
and if you get the ip address of the Epson by going into setup and printing the network information page; the screenshot below shows all we needed to do;
How do I know which one is the Printer Address, there seems to be two addresses and neither says Printer?

@ pdc_2: Thanks for the good example!
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks for your last post: you are very organised and being very careful. My apologies over the choice of text editor: gedit used to be installed by default in Mint; now nano seems to be the one; sadly old habits stay so I just think of gedit;

on our XP-410, I click on the screen at the front; choose setup; look for wifi; I selected the check settings button; that showed me the ip address; I can't remember the print instructions ..... will search more for that

but if nano is the text editor installed, then

gksudo nano /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf
should open the epkowa file; and it worked for us; hmmmmmmmmmm ... just tried that; no response; (although it is installed..maybe that's why I just use gedit........I now realise nano opens in the terminal........... so no GUI ........ so the command is

sudo nano /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf

back on that page I gave earlier on the screenshot; there is a button for Manual; if you click that, you get a very nice structured guide that opens in your web browser; very nice manual I think
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

pdc_2 wrote:...we have an Epson XP-410 that scans well wirelessly; I only had to edit the file epkowa.conf that sits inside the folder sane.d that sits inside /etc
Oddly enough, I don't have that file (epkowa.conf) and my XP-640 works. I had to edit the file epson2.conf.
Capture_001.jpg
pcpunk wrote:
I put a copy of the two files in a folder called sane.d my Google Drive shared folder. I spoke of these in a previous post. You can take a look at them. You may find them helpful.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BweXc ... 3NBNk9wTHc
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

That's very helpful guys, I'll do this tonight on my computer. Then when I get time, will go to my client's house and see if it works on my pc first, and take a look at exactly which file I have on my Mate 18.

When I saw that the Driver was newer I had hoped it was all fixed, because it worked fine in 14.04.

I wonder if this Scanner problem has anything to do with the Printer Driver, the newest one is from 03-23-2017, maybe that lays down the foundation for the Scanner Directory? I will take a look at the Version difference, but I know the client's is older because I did this all back in Oct. of 2016. Wait, probably not, because they don't mention 14.04 or 16.04.

I'm not good with all this file manipulation, and my health is not good, so bare with me. I've also been working with mostly Windows stuff, physical installs, house calls etc. I only have a few Linux Customers...and love it. I like to see these older folks (Seniors) using linux. I would like to do more Linux stuff but just don't have the energy to get folks on it. I've got some old Vista pc's with Linux on them and can't even Donate them LOL...so far. I am going to call some more Schools this week to see if any use Linux. MS has got a monopoly and it's just to much work for the average person to bother learning Linux I guess.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

pcpunk wrote:That's very helpful guys, I'll do this tonight on my computer. Then when I get time, will go to my client's house and see if it works on my pc first, and take a look at exactly which file I have on my Mate 18.

When I saw that the Driver was newer I had hoped it was all fixed, because it worked fine in 14.04.

I wonder if this Scanner problem has anything to do with the Printer Driver, the newest one is from 03-23-2017, maybe that lays down the foundation for the Scanner Directory? I will take a look at the Version difference, but I know the client's is older because I did this all back in Oct. of 2016. Wait, probably not, because they don't mention 14.04 or 16.04.

I'm not good with all this file manipulation, and my health is not good, so bare with me. I've also been working with mostly Windows stuff, physical installs, house calls etc. I only have a few Linux Customers...and love it. I like to see these older folks (Seniors) using linux. I would like to do more Linux stuff but just don't have the energy to get folks on it. I've got some old Vista pc's with Linux on them and can't even Donate them LOL...so far. I am going to call some more Schools this week to see if any use Linux. MS has got a monopoly and it's just to much work for the average person to bother learning Linux I guess.
I also have a few older computers that run Mint on them, but can't even give them away. Sadly, most users are entrenched with Windows and OS X.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so Jerry: my mistake; our Mint 18.1 install worked well with a wireless EpsonXP; and then we got a second one; and I realise now I hadn't fully configured that; and that's where I made my mistake; apologies:

I looked back at what worked;
best to download the ImageScan manual; it loads as a nice page on the web browser;
so looking at what Epson say on ImageScan; they say; ......... if you can pardon me for using gedit, the text editor, I will give examples using that ..........

Setting up the client side:
1) check that the net module is enabled in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
2) check that the server you want to use are listed in /etc/sane.d/net.conf

so 1)

gksudo gedit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
and it needs to have

net
epkowa
in there

2)

gksudo gedit /etc/sane.d/net.conf
so ours looks like their example ..... shown in screenshot

so

gksudo gedit /etc/sane.d/saned.conf
and best if I enclose screenshots; that are of the ImageScan manual; doing these, it worked for us in the first install; my apologies for my confusions and errors when I cited our second install; we all try and sometimes we make mistakes; apologies
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

kyphi wrote:
Regarding the 1865, that is the default described in /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf which shows a sample configuration for the EPKOWA SANE backend.

Remember to turn your firewall OFF. If you want it set to ON later then you have to adjust the firewall settings.
So I don't need to worry about adding another number AFTER the ip Address, as in the 1865 Number seen in the Epson Description?

Has anyone else needed to Turn Firewall Off, or configure afterwards for this?

Wish I had not Uninstalled Mate 18.1. It was causing me problems somehow automatically going into Hibernation on a Dual Boot with KDE 17.3. Perhaps I will find another pc to install it to. I guess I will need to install Mate 18, grrrrrrrgaarrraahh!

Thanks, pcpunk
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

@ pdc_2 I will follow your last set of directions and see if I can get this thing working. This is all a bit too much work to do for my customer and have to charge for it but if I can make it work that will be a good. Considering I won't be able to take the pc home and make sure it all works. And these Epson Printers don't seem to be the best printers to me, but they do have good customer service from what I'm told.

Thanks guys!
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

pdc_2 wrote:so pcpunk; you are getting lots of advice; you are still weighing it and no steps taken yet? That is correct?

My suggestion initally was to run the Epson scanner bundle install; ..... sort of as Epson make the device; and well ................ Epson make the software; and ..................... one sort of hopes they have the chance to try this stuff out; as they presumably have access to the occasional machine; ........... to see what works .. in their spare time ..............

so my thinking was: let's try the easy way: install the package from Epson; it is only one package; see if it works, it if doesn't move on to edit files, if the install script hasn't done that;

we have an Epson XP-410 that scans well wirelessly; I only had to edit the file epkowa.conf that sits inside the folder sane.d that sits inside /etc

so I would have edited it with gedit, as we use that; .........install gedit with

sudo apt install gedit
......... if you cannot see it sitting in your Accessories folder

and to edit that file I would have done

gksudo gedit /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf

just that line that starts with net where one removes the # to make the line active; and then adds the ip address the epson spits out when go into its menu

and to our pleasure and surprise, it all worked

___

that is my half-penny worth!
Sorry to Quote this whole thing but it was easiest.

I was able to Uncomment the #net I believe and Add the Printer IP Address.
Last edited by pcpunk on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

pdc_2 wrote:so Jerry: my mistake; our Mint 18.1 install worked well with a wireless EpsonXP; and then we got a second one; and I realise now I hadn't fully configured that; and that's where I made my mistake; apologies:

I looked back at what worked;
best to download the ImageScan manual; it loads as a nice page on the web browser;
so looking at what Epson say on ImageScan; they say; ......... if you can pardon me for using gedit, the text editor, I will give examples using that ..........

Setting up the client side:
1) check that the net module is enabled in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
2) check that the server you want to use are listed in /etc/sane.d/net.conf

so 1)

gksudo gedit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
and it needs to have

net
epkowa
in there
I was able to do this above also!
pdc_2 wrote: 2)

gksudo gedit /etc/sane.d/net.conf
so ours looks like their example ..... shown in screenshot
I got lost here somehow.

pdc_2 wrote: so

gksudo gedit /etc/sane.d/saned.conf
and best if I enclose screenshots; that are of the ImageScan manual; doing these, it worked for us in the first install; my apologies for my confusions and errors when I cited our second install; we all try and sometimes we make mistakes; apologies
No worries at all, I'm just so frustrated that I can't follow the directions. There were some distractions there also, and the pics from Epson added were throwing me off.

Maybe I should have quoted one thing at a time here. It was difficult managing all those Quote's and all the Code Blocks Code getting in the way of my ADD.
Super Clean Runs Perfect

Return to “Printers & Scanners”