Scanner problems with Canon PIXMA MG4250

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joga

Scanner problems with Canon PIXMA MG4250

Post by joga »

Hi,

I recently bought a Canon PIXMA MG4250 combined printer and scanner. Although I can get the printer to work OK, I'm unable to get the scanner to work with either Simple Scan or XSane. I'm currently running Linux Mint 17.3.

Basically, neither Simple Scan nor XSane appear able to recognise the scanner. When I try to run these applications, I get an error message saying 'No scanners detected' (Simple Scan) or 'No devices available' (XSane).

I *have* been able to operate the scanner by downloading and installing the 'scangearmp' application from the Canon website. The procedure for this is described here: http://robert.penz.name/532/a-howto-for ... er-ubuntu/. It seems to be working, in that I can at least get some scanning done, but something odd seems to be going on - every time I run a scan, an error message appears in the Terminal window when I clear the preview. The message is of this type:

(scangearmp:6870): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 9411 was not found when attempting to remove it

Does anyone know what this means? Google searches haven't yielded much helpful information.

So to summarize, I'd like to find some way to get the scanner working properly using either XSane or SimpleScan. Can anyone offer any advice on how to do this please? Thanks.

Best wishes,

Joga
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Scanner problems with Canon PIXMA MG4250

Post by marcia »

Hello,

It sounds like the scangearmp works? The error message I do not know about, however according to the sane site your scanner is supported by sane as long as you have libsane-common installed and probably the other sane packages. The backend sane-pixma(5) is what you want and is in the libsane-common package. This works if it is hooked up through the usb. Have not tried it for our canon pixma mg2920. My husband uses the scangearmp and is happy with that. Do not know if there is more configuring for simple scan or xsane as well.

Good luck.

Marcia
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

Scroll down to the red ink of how to install tar file.

viewtopic.php?t=161203

You can find your driver on this site this is what I used for my mg3500 I think yours is series 4200

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/?personal
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so all very strange; ......... your MG .... should work with simple scan as SANE says support is complete http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON

..... is this a usb connection?

if you open a terminal ....... the tv screen at the bottom of the page and type

Code: Select all

lsusb
you should see

04a9:1763
which should be the ID for your device

if you also paste this command

dpkg -l scangear*
........ please paste .......... please paste ....... to paste into the terminal, right-click at the text prompt and look for the paste command in the little menu that happens

please copy what you get and paste back here

_____

ibbill is very kindly pointing you to scangearmp but seems to me it is already installed; but the above command should tell us where things are:

could you also tell us

lpinfo -v
joga

Post by joga »

marcia wrote:Hello,

It sounds like the scangearmp works? The error message I do not know about, however according to the sane site your scanner is supported by sane as long as you have libsane-common installed and probably the other sane packages. The backend sane-pixma(5) is what you want and is in the libsane-common package. This works if it is hooked up through the usb. Have not tried it for our canon pixma mg2920. My husband uses the scangearmp and is happy with that. Do not know if there is more configuring for simple scan or xsane as well.

Good luck.

Marcia
###

Hi Marcia,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, scangearmp works OK, and the scanner is indeed connected via USB. I installed XSane through the Linux Mint Software Manager, so presumably it would have installed the packages you mention? I'm not entirely sure how to check that, however, but will look into it.

Best wishes.
joga

Post by joga »

ibbill wrote:Scroll down to the red ink of how to install tar file.

viewtopic.php?t=161203

You can find your driver on this site this is what I used for my mg3500 I think yours is series 4200

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/?personal
###

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but I have already done this and have managed to get ScanGear working. However, the problem is that I would like to be able to use XSane and/or SimpleScan, but these applications do not recognise the scanner (attached by USB).

Best wishes.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

If you'd post the results of what pcd_2 asked, then maybe you'd get more varied help.
Last edited by JerryF on Mon May 29, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joga

Post by joga »

so all very strange; ......... your MG .... should work with simple scan as SANE says support is complete http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON

..... is this a usb connection?

if you open a terminal ....... the tv screen at the bottom of the page and type

lsusb
you should see

04a9:1763
which should be the ID for your device

if you also paste this command

dpkg -l scangear*
........ please paste .......... please paste ....... to paste into the terminal, right-click at the text prompt and look for the paste command in the little menu that happens

please copy what you get and paste back here

_____

ibbill is very kindly pointing you to scangearmp but seems to me it is already installed; but the above command should tell us where things are:

could you also tell us

lpinfo -v

#####

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and apologies for being so late in getting back to you. Shown below are the results of the tests you asked for. Do the results mean anything to you?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

joga

###

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04a9:1763 Canon, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:c31c Logitech, Inc. Keyboard K120
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 045e:0040 Microsoft Corp. Wheel Mouse Optical
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

#Yes - the scanner (Bus 002) has the address you expected.

dpkg -l scangear*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii scangearmp-com 2.00-1 amd64 ScanGear MP for Linux.
ii scangearmp-mg4 2.00-1 amd64 ScanGear MP for Linux.

lpinfo -v
network ipp14
network socket
network https
network ipps
network lpd
network ipp
network http
direct usb://Canon/MG4200%20series?serial=84CC57&interface=1
network smb
direct parallel:/dev/lp0
direct hp
direct hpfax
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I realise I haven't replied to this

can you try 4 commands; one by one; and paste the results back: best to copy them and paste them into the terminal

sane-find-scanner

sudo sane-find-scanner

scanimage -L

sudo scanimage -L
joga

Post by joga »

Hi pdc_2,

Thanks for your reply. I've run the commands you mention and the results are shown below.

I confirm that the scanner is actually switched on and plugged into one of the USB sockets. (I mention this because the output asks that this be confirmed).

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,

joga

####

sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 002:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x046d/0xc31c at 004:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 004:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 001:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x045e/0x0040 at 003:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 003:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
# No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host controller and have setup
# the USB system correctly. See man sane-usb for details.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
# found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
# necessary.

#####

sudo sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

# No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host controller and have setup
# the USB system correctly. See man sane-usb for details.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.

####

scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

###

sudo scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Ya I have the MG 3520 scanner and sane and Xsane does not work with it at all, I have to use the software providied which you have already up and running from cannon asia.

For some reason sane and Xsane does not recognize cannon scanners

In mint I was able to load the scanner from gimp and scan right into gimp, on other distro's this did not work but in mint it did for some strange reason (don't know why it only work on mint)

I researched it long ago but no one anywhere had a solution to get sane to get it to recognize cannon MG series.
If somehow you do manage to do it please let everyone know, we all would prefer to use sane or xsane probbaly, I know I would.

EDIT: never mind I just tried sane and xsane again out of curiosity and it does work through the gimp plugin now.
Here is the page I went to to find out more about it: http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-pixma.5.html
I'm on manjaro with this toy but the files I installed to get mine working were: sane, sane-frontends, xsane, xsane-gimp
not sure you need them all but it was the xsane-gimp that allowed me to scan right into gimp and from gimp (under file>create)
your scanner is in the the same list category as mine is for ones that work, they must of added these recently.

hope it helps you get it going
Sam
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Xsane does not recognize cannon scanners
............hmmmmmmmm ....that's a pretty broad statement;

we have a Mint 18.1 install; we have a Canon MG3100; xsane sees the scanner and run it; it was all just a routine setup; so here is one "black swan": one exception

I enclose a screenshot of our xsane to illustrate this; I agree one sees reports of scanning problems: ............ with HP; ............ with Epson; ........... with Brother; (lots ... just look over at the Ubuntu forums ..) ......with Samsung ............ they all seem to be seen on usb but it is usually permissions issues; .. with a printer data goes out ..... with a scanner data comes pouring in so potentially is seen as more of a security risk;

I cannot offer instant suggestions now but will get back later
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

pdc_2 wrote:
Xsane does not recognize cannon scanners
............hmmmmmmmm ....that's a pretty broad statement;
I cannot offer instant suggestions now but will get back later
pdc_2 did you read my edit?
EDIT: never mind I just tried sane and xsane again out of curiosity and it does work through the gimp plugin now.
Here is the page I went to to find out more about it: http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-pixma.5.html
I'm on manjaro with this toy but the files I installed to get mine working were: sane, sane-frontends, xsane, xsane-gimp
not sure you need them all but it was the xsane-gimp that allowed me to scan right into gimp and from gimp (under file>create)
your scanner is in the the same list category as mine is for ones that work, they must of added these recently.
you can also just use xsane to use it also without gimp, I should of said MG series canon scanners instead, and it didn't before.
In the link I gave it shows
Currently, the following models work with this backend:

PIXMA MG2100, MG2200, MG2400, MG2500, MG2900, MG3100, MG3200
PIXMA MG3500, MG3600, MG4200, MG5100, MG5200, MG5300, MG5400
Mine is the MG3500 series, the OP is the MG4200 series both should work now, as I stated mine works after retesting it.
I also gave the packages I used to get mine working properly, if it doesn't then it, "as stated" seems to be a usb issue or permission issue.
joga

Post by joga »

Thanks for your advice about using the gimp plugin. I hope that I'll be able to sort out what the underlying problem is - beginning to look like it's a question of permissions for the USB connection - but it's good to know that there might be a workaround if need be.

Regards

####

samriggs wrote:Ya I have the MG 3520 scanner and sane and Xsane does not work with it at all, I have to use the software providied which you have already up and running from cannon asia.

For some reason sane and Xsane does not recognize cannon scanners

In mint I was able to load the scanner from gimp and scan right into gimp, on other distro's this did not work but in mint it did for some strange reason (don't know why it only work on mint)

I researched it long ago but no one anywhere had a solution to get sane to get it to recognize cannon MG series.
If somehow you do manage to do it please let everyone know, we all would prefer to use sane or xsane probbaly, I know I would.

hope it helps you get it going
Sam
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I would suggest editing the file 60-libsane.rules that lives in /lib/udev/rules.d to add your MG4250 to it so the command is

gksudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules
and so scroll down to the Canon section of the file and make room and paste in

# Canon PIXMA MG4200 Series
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1763", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
SAVE: CLOSE: reboot ............ any joy?

the above command assumes you have the text editor gedit installed ........ if you do not then install firstly with

sudo apt install gedit

......... I have guessed the ID is as above because you pasted
in an earlier post;
joga

Post by joga »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I don't have the file '60-libsane.rules' that you mention. However, there is a file called '40-libsane.rules'. Would that be the file to use?

Thanks again for your advice.

Regards,

Joga

###

pdc_2 wrote:I would suggest editing the file 60-libsane.rules that lives in /lib/udev/rules.d to add your MG4250 to it so the command is

gksudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules
and so scroll down to the Canon section of the file and make room and paste in

# Canon PIXMA MG4200 Series
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1763", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
SAVE: CLOSE: reboot ............ any joy?

the above command assumes you have the text editor gedit installed ........ if you do not then install firstly with

sudo apt install gedit

......... I have guessed the ID is as above because you pasted
in an earlier post;
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

yes indeed
joga

Post by joga »

Hi pdc_2,

I did as you suggested and put those lines of code into the relevant file, but XSane still won't recognize my scanner. I don't know what to try now - I'm completely stumped with this one. Maybe better just upgrade to Mint 18.2?

Anyway - thank you for your help with this.

Best wishes,

joga
blockhead47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blockhead47 »

What version of libsane are you using? I also had problems with my Canon PIXMA MX922 scanner not being recognized over the LAN.
There is a bug in an earlier version if libsane, I forget if it is version .25 or .26. But upgrading libsane resolved my issue.

To check out a newer version see: https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+arch ... u/sane-git

Return to “Printers & Scanners”