[SOLVED] Unable to use ScanSnap S1100 via Linux

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Unable to use ScanSnap S1100 via Linux

Post by Crusader »

I am using Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, Cinnamon Version 2.8.8. I have a ScanSnap S1100 scanner that I use without a problem in Windows 7 on my dual OS laptop. Scanning documents is one of the very few times I open Windows; I would like to be able to scan documents in Linux Mint so I don't have to deal with Windows. My research led me to this website where I followed the instructions. The Terminal in Linux confirms seeing the scanner (step 5); however, I have to add Sudo to the command for the Terminal to respond - and even then I am unable to get the scanner to work. The above website refers to another website which addresses the issue of having to add Sudo to the Terminal command. I followed instructions on the second website, but got stuck on the "vim" command. Research on this forum suggested replacing vim with "nano." I did that; however, I am not getting the results I need. I am also unsure of the syntax in other related commands.

I am requesting assistance in getting Linux Mint to work with my ScanSnap S1100. Below are some related details. I will be happy to post other details as needed.

epjitsu.conf
# For scanners connected via USB on a known device (kernel driver):
#usb /dev/usb/scanner0

# For scanners connected via USB using vendor and device ids (libusb):
#usb VENDORID PRODUCTID

# NOTE: if you have to add your device here- please send the id and model
# to the author via email, so it can be included in next version. kitno455 at
# gmail dot com - with epjitsu in the subject line

# These devices require a firmware file in order to function, which must be
# extracted from the Fujitsu Windows driver. Presumably the Mac versions
# contain the firmware as well, but the author has no access such a machine.

# Firmware is installed in several different locations by the fujitsu software,
# using the windows 'search' feature to look for '*.nal' is the easiest way to
# find them. They should be ~65K, and have the scanner's name as part of the
# file name. They are often inside a .cab file.

# Copy the file someplace sane can reach it. Then update the line below.
# NOTE: the firmware line must occur BEFORE the usb line for your scanner

# Fujitsu fi-60F
firmware /usr/share/sane/epjitsu/60f_0A00.nal
usb 0x04c5 0x10c7

# Fujitsu S300
firmware /usr/share/sane/epjitsu/300_0C00.nal
usb 0x04c5 0x1156

# Fujitsu S300M
firmware /usr/share/sane/epjitsu/300M_0C00.nal
usb 0x04c5 0x117f

# Fujitsu S1100
firmware /usr/share/sane/epjitsu/1100_0A00.nal
usb 0x04c5 0x1200
Last edited by Crusader on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
LO 6.x on Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
In a world without walls, who needs Window$
pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Unable to use ScanSnap S1100 via Linux

Post by pdc_2 »

can I suggest you install the text editor that is called gedit? It has the same commands as .. for example libreoffice .. and just seems to work fine so install with the command

Code: Select all

sudo apt install gedit
if that is done, if I attempt to work out what Josh Archer said in his post
3) tell the system where to go look for this firmware; when you ask it to start up the scanner

sudo mkdir /usr/share/sane/epjitsu
........ so that makes a folder called epjitsu that lives inside /usr/share/sane ...... this is where the firmware needs to live; so the system can find it ..

....... next step: you copy the firmware from your Downloads folder to that epjitsu folder where sane knows to look when trying to run the scanner software ............ with the command ..

sudo cp Downloads/1100_0A00.nal /usr/share/sane/epjitsu/1100_0A00.nal
.......... I hope I have copied the name of the driver correctly ..... please verify .........

then edit the file that has references to this family of Fujitsu scanners

sudo gedit /etc/sane.d/epjitsu.conf
....... so sudo gives you the power to edit that file

..... so I see on our file; that it talks of
1100_0B00.nal
....... whereas you presumably downloaded
1100_0A00.nal
....... so you need to change the B to an A then save then close
....... crucial thing there too is that that epjitsu config file (epjitsu.conf)is telling the system to look back to the epjitsu folder you created; and read the firmware file you have just put in it ............. see where it says that?
firmware /usr/share/sane/epjitsu/1100_0A00.nal
..so this quote is just a quote and so is not copies anywhere..it is just an illuminated copy from that config file. meant to help

that should be all fixed; reboot; it should be recognised and you can check it in the terminal with

scanimage -L
Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Crusader »

Thank you for the detailed guidance, pdc_2: it was clean and detailed.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able get the scanner to run. As I went through the steps you suggested, I realized:
  • I had the gedit text editor.
    I also had the epjitsu folder (in the sane folder).
    The epjitsu folder had the 1100_0A00.nal file (you copied the name of the driver perfectly).
    Upon editing the epjitsu.conf file, I realized the name of the file was correct (1100_0A00.nal versus 1100_0B00.nal).
    Linux does not recognize the scanner when I use the "scanimage -L" Terminal command; however, it does recognize the scanner when I enter "sudo scanimage -L" command (the scanner whirs, but doesn't scan the paper I insert in the scanner).
That brings me past step 5 in Josh Archer's article. Further down in the article, in the "Problems, problems, problems..." section, point # 3, "Can't find a scanner unless you use sudo," is where I get stuck. I don't understand the instructions provided in the site he has linked to; however, this may not be the issue.

You have used the term, "firmware" in your summary; elsewhere, you have referred to what I have downloaded as "driver." If these are 2 separate pieces, then that may be the issue. I have yet to install/download the "firmware." Where do I find it? If firmware and driver are the same thing, then the next step is to look into the link Josh has provided in item 3, under the "Problems, problems, problems..." heading.

Your support is greatly appreciated!
pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks; so looks like a permissions issue; let's see if we can set up a udev rule as advised in that link;

so we use gedit again;

gksudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/99-local.rules
and that will create a new file called 99-local.rules that sits inside the udev directory;

and into that blank file you paste

# Fujitsu ScanSnap S1100
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04c5", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1200", MODE="0664", GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
........ so the top line with the # is ignored by the computer and is for humans to read; hopefully I have got the id correct for the device: so you SAVE the file; and CLOSE it;

maybe you create the group scanner with the command as he suggested

sudo groupadd -r scanner
and then add yourself to the scanner group with

sudo useradd -aG scanner Crusader
...assuming Crusader is your username?

If you reboot and see if things look any better?

_________________--

you asked about driver/firmware ...... I have may have been lax in my terminology: seems like that firmware is all that is needed; and you now have it in the correct place you feel, so that is good
Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Crusader »

Thank you for further directions, pdc_2.

I sequentially followed the directions in your last post. Seemingly, I had the scanner group in place (I had toyed around with the code before posting for assistance). The issue I continue to run into is adding myself to the scanner group. When I used the statement, "sudo useradd -aG scanner Crusader", substituting Crusader with my login name, I got an error message followed by a slew of options (I will be happy to post the error message if it helps). I picked -D (default) as the option (instead of my username); while this did not give me an error, it doesn't look like it did anything useful for me. When I rebooted and used the "scanimage -L" Terminal command, nothing happenned, but when I used the "sudo scanimage -L" Terminal command, the scanner whirred, but it didn't scan the paper fed into it - essentially the same situation as I started out.

Any other suggestions?
pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pdc_2 »

before we try the stuff below, see what groups you are in with

groups Crusader
.... if scanner isn't listed, if we try what is below .......

so maybe a syntax error in the website we were using ........ seems that to add you to a group, (as an existing user), one uses usermod https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-add-user-to-group/ ....... which sort of makes sense as one is modifying an existing user

........... useradd ......... is to ADD a new user ............ you exist already!

so my understanding now is it should be

sudo usermod -a -G GROUP USERNAME
so that should be

sudo usermod -a -G scanner Crusader
..... agree?

and you check it with

groups Crusader
....... have you joined the scanner group?

so you created the udev rule?

adding you to group scanner; and setting a udev should now work ....... but reboot first .............

for scanners, xsane is a very good frontend for the sane scanning programme; you can run it as sudo so you install xsane with

sudo apt install xsane
and then run with

sudo xsane
which may give lots of danger warnings; up to you . ....... I feel it is fine but it is up to you
Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Crusader »

Thank you for your continued support, pdc_2! We are making progress: slowly, but surely.

I was not in the scanner group, but added myself with the "usermod" command and confirmed with the "groups" command.

As for the udev rule, per your previous post, I have the following rule in the 99-local.rules file (located in the rules.d folder, which is located in the udev folder, which is located in the etc folder):

# Fujitsu ScanSnap S1100
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04c5", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1200", MODE="0664", GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
The "scanimage -L" command does recognize the scanner; however, the scanner does not scan.

Thoughts:
  • Do I need to install to LInux Mint, the software that came with the scanner? In Linux Mint, I have only installed the driver which I downloaded from Josh Archer's article. I am running dual OS (Windows and LInux Mint); Windows has the software that came with the scanner, Linux Mint has the driver only.
    I will give this process a few chances: if it works, great, if not, I will take a chance with xsane.
pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pdc_2 »

so as for software, sane is the open-source driver; and its website http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-FUJITSU says support is good for your device ... it is listed and its entry says
Letter-size ADF. Hardware provides simplex, 300/600 dpi in color on USB power. Software creates other resolutions, plus grayscale and binary modes. All buttons and sensors are exposed. Scanner always scans in _triplex_ color, fast USB required.
. not sure what they mean by fast USB

....... you say it doesn't scan: sane is the backend and there are various frontends: SimpleScan is a simple front-end; xsane has many tweakable options; if you have xsane installed; does it see the scanner? ..... as scanimage -L now seems to see the scanner, then you don't need the sudo prefix: just run xsane from the Graphics folder in your Menu

what does

sane-find-scanner
and

scanimage -L
give now please?

this is the page about the sane-epjitsu http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-epjitsu.5.html

___________-

we are close to me recommending you join this mailing list http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/ ... sane-devel as these are the guys maintain support; they are very helpful and if they can't help .............
Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Crusader »

Hello pdc_2,

I have 2 menu options related to scanning:
1. Simplescan just opens a blank window and when I press the start button on my scanner, nothing happens. This happened each time I tried it.
2. The scary part is I found out I have xsane: when and how it got installed, I have no idea! When I open xsane, a small window opens that has the option of clicking on a "Scan" icon. When I click on the "Scan" icon, I get a message saying, "Failed to start scanner: Out of memory." I tried this multiple times - with the same result each time. I then tried to update xsane with the understanding that since I already have xsane and didn't even know about it and am still alive, there is some chance I may still be around if I upgrade it. The upgrade response was I have the latest version of xsane. As for me, I guess I am still around :)

If you have any ideas on how to deal with the xsane (error) message, please let me know. If nothing happens, I will join the mailing list you suggested and hope someone there can help me resolve my issue.

Thank you for the support, pdc_2!
pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pdc_2 »

if you type

xsane
in a terminal; I wonder if you get a fuller error message;

I suggest you go ahead and join the mailing list I suggested; post where you are at, and see the experts on that mailing list can help

what does the two commands give now please: sane-find-scanner and the scanimage -L
Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Crusader »

When I type "xsane" in the Terminal, a window pops up stating "scanning for devices" and within seconds a window titled, "xsane 0.998 ScanSnap S1100:004" opens. This is the same window I alluded to in my previous post: among other things, it has a "Scan" icon; however, when I click the Scan icon, I get the message, "Failed to start scanner: Out of memory."

Results of "sane-find-scanner" command in the Terminal:

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04c5 [FUJITSU], product=0x1200 [ScanSnap S1100]) at libusb:002:004
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 002:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x045e/0x000b at 008:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 008:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 007:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x046d/0xc018 at 006:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 006:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x04f2/0xb036 at 001:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 001:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 005:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 004:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 003:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
  # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.
Results of "scanimage -L" command in the Terminal:

device `epjitsu:libusb:002:004' is a FUJITSU ScanSnap S1100 scanner
It is time to sign up with the mailing list you suggested.

pdc_2, your support is greatly appreciated!
Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Crusader »

Update: as suggested, I took my issue to the sane-devel mailing list. There, a helpful soul identified my issue: version 1.0.25 of sane-backends - it is an older version that does not fully support my scanner. Version 1.0.27 will likely work; however, there are no updates to version 1.0.27 of sane-backends in my distro - Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, Cinnamon Version 2.8.8. I can only battle the complexity of compiling with plain English, step by step instructions.

I am open to suggestions.
pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Rolf Bensch ppa adds latest sane scanner version

Post by pdc_2 »

glad it was worthwhile to join the sane-development mailing list;

the latest sane; (that you have been recommended to use): was to me always the development release; http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-mfgs-cvs.html ...... it says 1.0.27 there .........

so instead of doing some compiling, if you install the development release; that is under Rolf Bensch's name; https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+arch ... u/sane-git .... that gives you 1.0.27 ......

so the summary of the commands from the above page are:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rolfbensch/sane-git

sudo apt-get update
and that you should notify that the improved version is available; and your update manager should notify you; so as an ubuntu ppa, you should get deb packages ......... and let us know how the scanner goes ......
Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Crusader »

Continued support is greatly appreciated.

I installed the update as suggested above. After that, I ran the following programs with the results shown:
  • From the Xsane Image scanning program, I continue to get the "Failed to start scanner: Out of memory" message.

From the Simple Scan program, I got the message, "Failed to scan Unable to start scan."

From the gscan2pdf v1.2.3, I got the message, "Out of Memory."
Since I was getting the same errors, I ran the "SANE_DEBUG_EPJITSU=5 scanimage -L" command and realized the sane-backends version had not upgraded (still showed "sane-backends 1.0.23"). Since I wasn't sure about how to "install" the new version, I checked Rolf Bensch website which had an installation link, which brought me to the "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" command - which I (foolishly?) ran. Seemingly, this is upgrading the whole distro. The "upgrade" continues as I write (has been running for quite a while). I am not sure what I did. When the upgrade completes (and I come out alive), I will run the version command to see if the sane-backends version also updated (among the seemingly million things). I said "No" to many installation options (have no idea what they meant), but did say "Yes" to installing the new sane-backends version.

I will update you on the outcome of the sane-backends version; however, now the question is: what am I updating, do I need it, and is this going to harm my laptop (and me)? :?
Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Crusader »

Update: the "upgrade" just completed - and yes, I am still breathing.

The terminal does show I have version "1.0.27git" of sane-backends; however, all 3 scanning options I listed in my previous post are now showing my scanner as "CANON canon i-SENSYS MF4800 Series" - without an option of changing it. Below are the inquiries I did - with their results.

a@a-UL80VT ~ $ sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04c5 [FUJITSU], product=0x1200 [ScanSnap S1100]) at libusb:002:006
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 002:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x045e/0x000b at 008:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 008:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 007:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x046d/0xc018 at 006:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 006:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x04f2/0xb036 at 001:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 001:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 005:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 004:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 003:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
  # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.

a@a-UL80VT ~ $ scanimage -L
device `pixma:MF4800_192.168.2.39' is a CANON Canon i-SENSYS MF4800 Series multi-function peripheral
I do see light at the end of the tunnel: is it a train?
Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Crusader »

All 3 scanning programs mentioned above now work (on Linux Mint); gscan2pdf v1.2.3 offers the best (pdf) image.

Thank you to all who contributed to the solution!

Note: the distro update has totally screwed up my display settings; however, that is an issue for another thread.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”