Sharing HP Deskjet Printer/Scanner via router [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Sharing HP Deskjet Printer/Scanner via router [SOLVED]

Post by russellz »

I have a router supplied by my ISP, SFR in France. It has the ability to share printers connected to it.

I can install the printer (HP Deskjet F4280) using the address; socket/::192.168.1.1:9100 and the printer works on any machine on my network. However Xsane doesn't detect the scanner.

Is it possible to get the scanner working via the router? Any ideas?

Russell
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Sharing HP Deskjet Printer/Scanner via router

Post by pdc_2 »

Bonjour russellz

my impression is that with printers, the data goes one way: from computer to printer; with a scanner, data is coming back in, so there are security implications; so various barriers; for security; can impede scanner return;

ubuntu provide this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SaneD ... d+tutorial that you will need to work through; and also this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ScanningHowTo but it is probably saying all the same things that the first tutorial does; please let us know how it goes; if you want folks to work through the tutorial with you, please say; bonne chance

russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

Thanks pdc_2.

Most of that tutorial covers setting up a Linux machine to act as a scanner server. I was trying to get my router to act as a printer/scanner server. That way any machine on my network could access the printer/scanner without an other machine being powered up.

My SFR router has the facility to connect a printer to the network and in it's set-up pages has the provision to enable/disable bi-directional communication with the printer so I thought it should work as a scanner on the network. I have tried editing /etc/sane.d/net.conf to add 192.168.1.1 as a saned host but xsane still doesn't detect the scanner so I suspect that the router software doesn't act as a scanner server. A shame as most domestic printers include scanning.

Russell.
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
hrmcrm

Post by hrmcrm »

Is the printer connected to the router with a USB cable?

Try installing hplip-gui and running HP Device Manager. Click Device, then Setup Device. In Device Discovery, click Show Advanced Options, then Manual Discovery. Put 192.168.1.1:9100 in the bus ID field, click Next. What happens?
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

Thanks hrmcrm but that just results in no device found. For now I have just gone back to sharing the printer from my desktop machine. I can then access the printer from my laptop provided the desktop is switched on and have to use the desktop machine for scanning.

Russell
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

russellz wrote:...
I was trying to get my router to act as a printer/scanner server. That way any machine on my network could access the printer/scanner without an other machine being powered up.
The printer/scanner would have to be connected directly to the router for that scenario. If the printer/scanner is connected to a computer and the computer is off, then the printer/scanner is no longer seen on the network.
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

JerryF wrote: The printer/scanner would have to be connected directly to the router for that scenario.
Quite, that's what I have been trying to do. I can share the printer part that way but the scanner part isn't seen by Xsane.

Russell
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Sorry about stating the obvious. :oops:

What is the make and model of the router?
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

It's the router supplied by my internet/telephone/TV provider. SFR La Box NB6:
https://assistance.sfr.fr/internet-et-b ... iques.html

I'm just wondering if it's time to buy a new printer/scanner with WiFi or Ethernet connectivity but will Xsane detect that O.K? Can anyone recommend one that is known to work wth Mint Cinnamon?

Russell.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I see it has two USB ports for connection. Have you tried both?

Also, does this have a web interface to change settings? Most routers do and can be accessed by typing in an address in your web browser (example: http://192.168.1.1)
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

JerryF wrote:I see it has two USB ports for connection. Have you tried both?
Yes.
Also, does this have a web interface to change settings? Most routers do and can be accessed by typing in an address in your web browser (example: http://192.168.1.1)
Yes it does and there is the option to turn printer sharing on and off and to turn bidirectional printer sharing on which I have done. There is no indication of what exactly it does in bidirectional mode :( but I suspect it is just for things like checking ink levels and receiving error messages.

Russell.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I'm at a loss. Hopefully, some other HP users who use routers like yours can help.
hrmcrm

Post by hrmcrm »

russellz wrote:I'm just wondering if it's time to buy a new printer/scanner with WiFi or Ethernet connectivity but will Xsane detect that O.K? Can anyone recommend one that is known to work with Mint Cinnamon?
Russell.
A new printer/scanner with WiFi or Ethernet connectivity will work well as a shared network device. I have used various HP printers and multifunction devices with various routers. I have always used an Ethernet cable connection between device and router. Anything listed at http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/recommended.html should function correctly with Xsane.

I now have an HP LaserJet Pro MFP m127fn cable-connected to a Buffalo WZR-600DHP running dd-wrt software. Multiple machines running Windows, openSUSE, and Mint on the network all use it successfully to print and scan.

You did better sharing a USB printer on a router than I did. As a test, I took the m127fn off the network and connected it to the USB port of an ASUS router WL500G Premium v2, dd-wrt, with USB printing enabled. I connected a laptop running Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit to the router. I could not get the device recognized. I plugged the printer directly into the laptop, and it was recognized and setup automatically. I moved the USB cable back to the router, but still could not detect it. With the m127fn back on the Buffalo router, the Cinnamon laptop scans through the network with Xsane.
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

Thanks hrmcrm,
I'll be buying an HP Envy 7640. That seems to be the cheapest one with ethernet.
Russell
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

russellz wrote:I'll be buying an HP Envy 7640. That seems to be the cheapest one with ethernet.
Recently bought that same model and can confirm it's working great with HPLIP (hence, xsane). Noticed "17.3" in your footer: don't install the newest HPLIP from the web. there's no need for it, and you'd find there to be a Python version conflict, resulting in (very) unstable behaviour. A proper version of HPLIP for use with the Envy 7640 is already installed on 17.3: just install hplip-gui additionally for the setup tools. Note, you may in the setup need to choose manual discovery and plug in the IP address that the Envy got manually (depending on the setup of the rest of your network).

It's a great device...
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<moderator on>
Moved joeinslw's post into a separate thread, Problem with using 2 different HP printers on 1 Mint system
</moderator off>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

Just a quick update:

Received my new HP ENVY 7640 printer. It installed fine on the laptop using hp-setup. Scanner and printer all working. On the desktop machine hp-setup couldn't find the printer even when given the correct IP address, however CUPS found it and installed it just fine.

Thanks everyone.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”