Problem with using 2 different HP printers on 1 Mint system

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joeinslw

Problem with using 2 different HP printers on 1 Mint system

Post by joeinslw »

I have an HP MFP 477 fdn I loaded the latest HPLIP software 3.17.6 in Linux Mint OS from the internet, and at first I was able to get scans to work with xsane, but now when I open it I get error messages that say it can't find it, or the second message says I don't have the permissions. OF course I have permissions I loaded it, and it was fine for a while but now it won't work at all.
I also had an old HP Laserjet 1018 installed before I bought this MFP 477, and during the terminal installation the message came up that said that if I continue with this installation the original HPLIP software that run the 1018 would have to be deleted, because there could be a conflict. Since I wanted the new printer to work I did continue, so now the HP 1018 does not work at all with the new driver.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these printers/scanner to work? I am concerned that if I uninstall xsane and reinstall it I will get the same bugs I have now, if you know of a better way please help if you can.....Thanks joeinslw
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Problem with using 2 different HP printers on 1 Mint system

Post by pdc_2 »

firstly, how are the two devices connected please? and what does

Code: Select all

lpinfo -v
give from a terminal please?
joeinslw

Re: Problem with using 2 different HP printers on 1 Mint system

Post by joeinslw »

pdc_2 wrote:firstly, how are the two devices connected please? and what does

Code: Select all

lpinfo -v
give from a terminal please?
To answer your question, they both are connected via a USB wire to the computer. The HP All in one colour Laserjet Pro 477 can connect wireless, I use it as my desktop printer and it does work, but I can't use two similar drivers, the computer warned me that there could be conflicts, the other HP Laserjet 1018 is only a wired printer, but since I have had all the errors on my system, I have not tried to use it for fear of more problems, so it's disconnected right now. Thank you for asking.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”