Brother HL-L2340DW

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
earnest11

Brother HL-L2340DW

Post by earnest11 »

How to install a Brother HL-L2340DW printer in Linux Mint

The Brother company doesn’t supply any real support for Linux users

(We should ask Brother to make a good, cheap printer with complete Linux support and then tell everyone to buy it. Maybe they would be flooded with sales and take five minutes to write some decent driver support programs. Why don’t they now? Laziness? Too cheap to have their support engineers draw something up? Secret deals with major computer manufacturers to keep Linux a ‘has-been’ system? Who knows?)

The Brother support page for the HL-L2340DW is almost purposely make vague and incomprehensible. (I’m still going with the theory this is done on purpose.)

So. Here’s how to install the printer using a cable. Any ideas of wireless support are beyond me, although someone else might have an answer. If so, please leave the instructions here for me.

1. Go to the Brother web site (brother.com) and click support and type in HL-L2340DW. Then go to drivers and download their ‘support’ driver support tool package.

2. Open a Terminal window. Type in cd Downloads/ Don’t forget to capitalize the word Downloads. Brother could have spelled it out for us noobs, but, again… geez- really Brother?

3. Even MORE annoyingly, Brother puts in bold lettering the line “Command:...”, as if you should cut and paste the whole line. Just highlight the part that says gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-*.gz Paste that into the Terminal and hit enter.

4. Type in sudo su (This makes you a superuser) and hit enter.

5. Type into Terminal bash linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-* and hit enter.

6. It will ask you the model number of the printer you’re trying to install. Type in HL-L2340DW, then hit enter again. It will ask you to hit ‘y’ about four or five times. Just hit ‘y’. Let it do its thing.

7. The Brother web support says this:

When you see the message "Will you specify the DeviceURI ?" Hit No if you are using a USB cable hooked to the printer. The other options are for wireless. I’ve tried all the other options, but there are no clear instructions on the internet about what to hit, then how to find what information they are looking for. (Again, if someone on here can talk me through this please leave the instructions here. Remember to write it out as if you were talking to a small child. You can even be mean or sarcastic as per the requisite ‘guys that know Linux’ attitude thing you all do.)

8. After hitting ‘no’ on the “Will you specify the device URI” question, it will ask you if you want to print a test page. This will fail with NO EXPLANATION! They neglect to mention you must turn your computer off and then on again. Try the printer then; it should work. Hope this helped.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Brother HL-L2340DW

Post by MintBean »

I suggest you contact Brother and ask for improved Linux support. It's only by us hassling (politely!) these companies that they will up their game.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

sorry to hear of your frustrations: you did well to get through it all on your own; sometimes folks on the forum can help before you start the install process; yes, Brother could make it a lot easier; ...... I still wonder why the install script comes compressed; in these days when speeds are so good for download for most folks; that alone would simplify things; you also don't need to specify the printer in the command; the script hunts around; lists what there is; and asks which you want to set up ..

Ubuntu 17.04 provided support for AirPrint; and the HL-L2340DW is supported; so no driver install needed, as I understand it; so when the next LTS of Ubuntu arrives; (18.04 I think ........) then Mint will offer that so about a year away ..........

https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT201311

for anyone who wants to install a Brother printer; the install script is generic; so get from any link to any Brother printer ....... eg http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... &type3=625

SAVE it and it should end up in your Downloads folder
the commands then are
cd Downloads
gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz
sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1

.............. you could paste in your printer model in this line, but the above is essentials it seems to me
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

I've tried to make it easy:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/15

Tested with my own Brother MFC printer and proven to work. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
NoahsArk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoahsArk »

Hello All Mint Users.

Can I start by saying I really am ancient and it takes some time for me to absorb information. I have to read it a few times before it really sinks in. This week I bought a Brother HL-2340DW Printer. As noted by others, the documentation for Linux users is as much use as a chocolate fireguard! It is only after making a mistake using a Foomatic driver that I thought I'd best check the forums. Lo and behold the answer is in front of my eyes. The Foomatic Driver I had installed kept giving me a line under all letters with a tail such as 'q' or 'y'. I deleted it and followed the instructions on this thread and now it works fine.

Pjotr - You are a genius! Not only do you give clear instructions you also write in a manner which is easily followed. I offer you a sincere andf heartfelt thanks. It is the likes of yourself and others in the Linux community that has made me stay with Linux. Your pages are terrific!

As for those using an iPad who want to connect it. I found this page and have connected my ipad without a problem. Be warned! If you have a long wi-fi key it will take forever to input the data. Get yourself a nice cup of tea or coffee.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.a ... 99_007#iOS

To conclude. Again sincere thanks to you all. Each year I make a donation to Wikipedia because of their great work they do for free. This year it will be Linux Mint Forum because of all the fantastic help they give people and for providing a superb OS.

Oh...I have been on the telephone to Brother and gave them an earful. I wanted to know why they didn't include the USB cable which is not standard USB 2.0- 2.0. It is nothing less than meanness. Have also given the shop an earful for not indicating it would need a USB cable.
Linux - Il est interdit d' interdire
NoahsArk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoahsArk »

Received a request from Brother asking me to complete a review. They wanted to entice me with the possibility of winning a 'Fit Bit' whateveryoumaycallit gizmo. How many times have I been promised this or that for taking up my valuable time and have yet not won sausage?! I don't know anybody who has. Anyway, enough waffle, here is the review I wrote. They said I will have to wait 48 hours for it to be published. Meaning: until they decide if it is all nice and pro cuddly Brother. It'll get binned. :D

The review or rather critique.

I bought the HL-L2340DW to use on LInux Mint OS.

1. Was annoyed that Brother are tight fisted by not providing a USB cable despite them saying it is USB compatible. It even says so in large letters on the box! A Lenovo Z710 does not use wi-fi printing hence my buying one that uses USB. Bean counters omitting the USB cable don't gain customers, they lose them!

2. The set up instructions for Linux Mint on the Brother web page are very poor. Instead I went to the Linux Mint Forum and followed the easy to understand installation written by a Linux expert in simple language. Had I used Brother's instructions it would have taken forever.

3. I bought this printer because I know Brother well, where they are and their reputation. However, if they want to attract more Linux users they need to get their act together as their competitors have better support.

4. As for the documentation. What idiot decided to use HTML? Why not PDF pages that could be downloaded or even a booklet? It takes forever to read the pages via a web browser and NO the CD does not have them in PDF format for Linux. In fact, there is nothing on the CD for Linux Users.

5. Would I buy another Brother Printer? Not unless they stop treating Linux users as third class citizens and start treating them as they do Windows and Apple customers.

6. I do not expect to win anything in the prize draw as I think they are all a scam. If people valued customers they would pay for them to make a review - critique not some bogus chance to win a prize. Been there, done it, got the tee shirt. Never won a flea.

7. I write many honest reviews on various review sites. If a business is good they get five stars. If not, then let the truth be told. Hopefully those who do not meet high customer standards will review their practices."

And for Forum members be they Linux Mint or other Linux OS Users. Take Note. Don't let manufacturers or business treat you like a 3rd Class Citizen or an eccentric OS Sideshow. If they don't treat you as they do Windows and Apple let them know.

Be Good - Enjoy Life

:D
Linux - Il est interdit d' interdire

Return to “Printers & Scanners”