How to delete printer files (drivers, etc.) -SOLVED

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
WHVW
Level 3
Level 3

How to delete printer files (drivers, etc.) -SOLVED

Postby WHVW » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:49 pm

I'll try to make this short. I got an Epson WF 3640. For a short while all was fine. Then it decided not to print. Scan? yes. Copy? yes. Print from computer? No. Respond to any command from the computer? No.
To try to determine whether the computer or the printer was at fault, I swapped my drive to one with a spare LM 17 install. With some futzing around, I got the printer to print, which would seem to indicate the printer is O.K.
My questions are these: wouldn't it be best to completely delete every old driver and their components so the new drivers will be going to a clean install rather than one where old settings, etc. could mess things up? And if so, how do I wipe all that stuff away?
Last edited by WHVW on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kyphi
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How to delete printer files (drivers, etc.)

Postby kyphi » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:26 pm

If scan and copy work OK and printing does not, would it not be better to remove the printer driver only?

Alternatively you could install the latest available printer driver over the top of what you have.

The printer driver (assuming that you are using a 64bit system) is epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.13-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb.

You asked how to remove the previously installed driver. Look for it in the Synaptic Package Manager and remove it there.

Check in System Settings, Hardware, Printers that the printer is "enabled".
Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon - 64bit

WHVW
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to delete printer files (drivers, etc.)

Postby WHVW » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:37 pm

Thanks, kyphi, The packages were installed at the Epson site, not through Synaptic, but your suggestion is an excellent reminder to think about that approach the next time something such as this this happens.
I was away and forgot to check back here, (and) what I ended up doing (perhaps out of desperation) was to install "Xsane". Voilà! It scanned! (and even brought the other scanning programme back to life!) How long this run of good luck will last, I cannot say, but to quote Sargent Preston: "Looks like this case is closed, King!"

Return to “Printers & Scanners”