Best Scanner Software to Use?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobertService

Best Scanner Software to Use?

Post by RobertService »

I've got scanners: an old Mustek flatbed; an HP 3970 ScanJet ; and a new Dell E525w multi-function device. Of the three softwares, XSane, Simplescan, or VueScan, using which makes the most sense?

Can someone comment on personal experience--any/all aspects--with the VueScan program?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Best Scanner Software to Use?

Post by kc1di »

I've been using simplescan since it came out. and it's worked well for me. But my requirements are quite minimal it would depend upon what your trying to scan and how much control you need on editing etc.
All the scanner software basically uses the same back end sane. that being said you may still need specific drivers for the particular scanner your using.
good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
mrjimphelps

Post by mrjimphelps »

RobertService wrote:I've got scanners: an old Mustek flatbed; an HP 3970 ScanJet ; and a new Dell E525w multi-function device. Of the three softwares, XSane, Simplescan, or VueScan, using which makes the most sense?

Can someone comment on personal experience--any/all aspects--with the VueScan program?
I have tried all three programs for my Canon Pixma scanner, and the only one which actually works is VueScan. My scanner simply does not work with the other two programs. With VueScan, the scanner worked immediately, with no problem whatsoever.

I haven't dug deep into VueScan, so I can't comment on any of its features, only that it actually works.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "RobertService",

If I am not mistaken, all Linux Mint editions have scanning capabilities built-in using various "sane" drivers (Scanner Access Now Easy).

For the most current "sane" Linux drivers (sane backends) use this PPA.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rolfbensch/sane-git

sudo apt-get update

+1 for VueScan - it is excellent scanner software

There is also "GScan2PDF" which I really like too and is in the repositories (Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)). I recommend going into the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and installing any recommended and suggested packages that you might want as well.

Install The Latest GScan2PDF in Ubuntu 16.04/16.10/17.04 March 20, 2017
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-16-04/

For a more current version of "gscan2pdf", use the PPA below
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jeffreyratcliffe/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install gscan2pdf

SANE - Installing a scanner that isn't auto-detected
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SANE% ... o-detected

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
greyowl

Post by greyowl »

This is great information.
Thanks

Return to “Printers & Scanners”