Cannon MFb28Cw

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldmoses

Cannon MFb28Cw

Post by oldmoses »

I'm really trying to make Mint work, really. However, I've gotten to the point of needing to mount a printer. I have a Cannon MFb28Cw All-in-One, actually I have 8 of them. Mint doesn't seem to know anything about this device. Any suggestions on how to get at least the printer to work?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon supply their UFR driver for the MF 628CW

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi oldmoses; welcome to the Mint forums;

So Canon supply their UFR driver for this: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port ... _downloads ....... I am guessing you have the MF 628CW

if you click to download and select to SAVE, it should by default end up in your Downloads directory;

if you open a terminal, and if you copy the commands below; one by one; and then paste each of the commands below into a terminal ......... it's the tv screen on the bottom bar .. and to paste into a terminal, right-click at the text prompt in the terminal and select PASTE from the options .... hitting the ENTER key after each paste;

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf linux-UFRII-drv-v340-02-usen.tar.gz

cd linux-UFRII-drv-v340-02-usen
and the final command starts the install script; so if you watch it run, and look for any questions it may ask you;

./install.sh
the script should 1) install the drivers and 2) register the printer with lpadmin on your system; and so an icon should appear in your PRINTERS folder, that is inside the ADMINISTRATION area ... just so you know but the big deal is

if you go to print in eg LibreOffice, there should be an option there, as the printer is registered; ........... BEWARE ...... Mint may have attempted to set up a printer; so there may be more than one icon alread?? If so, right-click on any icons in the PRINTERS folder ............ do look for it ........ under PROPERTIES for each printer icon, look in MAKE & MODEL and identify the one that says Canon UFR or similar ......... that should be the one that works ............ does it? ......... if it does, I suggest deleting any others, as they may well not work
squid-f

Re: Cannon MFb28Cw

Post by squid-f »

Hi all

I am planning to buy this printer. Do you confirm it works flawless (both to print and scan) on linux mint 19 cinnamon, assuming the Canon driver is installed as instructed ?

For the one currently using it, do you have any feedback on the quality of its prints and scans ?

Thanks !
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon MF628cw

Post by pdc_2 »

Can I assume you are talking about the Canon MF628cw? That is a mighty fine printer;

so if you go to the Canon Europe site, they offer v 3.5 of the UFR driver for linux users;

that would suggest they believe it is fine: do you have a laptop? are you buying this printer from a shop? If you install the driver before going to the shop, you should be able to see it works to your satisfaction

as a second point of cheer; this device is airprint compatible (AC); so Mint 19 is likely to set it up for automatically once plugged in: (assuming it is usb); or when wirelessly connected to your router; so seen within your system; the same

so if you install the UFR drivers, you will likely have two icons in the PRINTERS folder; right-click on each; look in MAKE & MODEL and one may say driverless: the AC one ...... the other should mention ufr bonne chance
squid-f

Re: Cannon MFb28Cw

Post by squid-f »

Merci pdc_2 :wink:

Yes, you assume right. In fact, I considered your post headline as the correct printer model.

I will use it on my desktop PC. My laptop is a professional one and one WIN10 (nobody is perfect :D ).

Would you have, by any chance, a comparison with the Canon MF633CDW or Samsung SL-C480FW to share ? They are all in the same price range.
I might open a specific thread for that but I am taking the opportunity of this one for your quick feedback in case you know about them.

Thanks again !

Return to “Printers & Scanners”