Canon MG7720 printer and Mint

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cassi
Level 1
Level 1

Canon MG7720 printer and Mint

Post by Cassi »

Hi Guys,
Totally new to Linux and Mint, from Windows 10. I have the MG7720 wifi printer/scanner/copier(though the copier function has NEVER worked). I went to the Canon Driver site to download the drivers and I am unsure if I need to download both packages or one or the other....

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bertradio
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Canon MG7720 printer and Mint

Post by bertradio »

I have an MG7720 working with Mint 18.2 Cinnamon and those drivers. The printing works fine. If you do a lot of scanning, you will find Scangear to be quite limited. There are other scanning programs with a lot more options, but they can be a bit of a bother to set up and get working.
Cassi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cassi »

bertradio wrote:I have an MG7720 working with Mint 18.2 Cinnamon and those drivers. The printing works fine. If you do a lot of scanning, you will find Scangear to be quite limited. There are other scanning programs with a lot more options, but they can be a bit of a bother to set up and get working.
OK...so I do need to download both packets and install them? Thank you very much for your answer! I will get on it then and see how it goes :)
bertradio
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bertradio »

Scangear is the scanner program. If your needs are simple, it's fine.
Cassi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cassi »

It is more that my needs for the scanner part are infrequent more than simple :D
So I have some time to sort that out....but the printer I need up and running :)
and while i have not actually printed anything out yet, it does seem to have done all the "software" part that it should have.....
thank you again for your help :)
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so Cassi ...... welcome to the Mint forums;

much of linux is this remarkable world of help and support .............. the manufacturers will often supply drivers and help; and beyond that; volunteers do much good work;

so for scanning ........... Canon supply their ScanGearMP2 driver http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 90502.html ...... released 4th Sept 2015 and from the link it comes down as scangearmp2-3.20-1-deb.tar.gz

for anyone coming after you; if I detail what should work ............ if you click SAVE, the package should end up in your Downloads folder; then you need to paste the following commands into a terminal; line by line; and hit the ENTER key after each paste ......

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf scangearmp2-3.20-1-deb.tar.gz

cd scangearmp2-3.20-1-deb

./install.sh
........and that final command installs ScanGearMP

to run it initially, if one pastes the command

scangearmp2
into a terminal; if all is good, then one can set up a launcher ........... please post here to ask how ........

I mentioned help and volunteers earlier; there is huge project called SANE ........... Scanning Access Made Easy ........ and they use open source software to help folks run their scanners; http://www.sane-project.org/

the MG7700 series from Canon is fully supported; http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON so SimpleScan should work, as should Xsane ...... meaning they should both find the scanner and be able to drive it ..............
Cassi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cassi »

Thank you very much pdc_2 :D

I will have to take the time to actually test out both the printer and the scanner functions :-) I am still working on getting browsers tested and up and running and getting all the things I have to have running and such :) But, so far I am over all happy with the switch :)

Return to “Printers & Scanners”