Epson XP-310 Keeps Losing Wifi Password

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Epson XP-310 Keeps Losing Wifi Password

Post by pcpunk »

My one Linux Customer keeps losing his wifi password on his printer. I suspect it is from an electrical surge, and has damaged something in the Memory, battery, or whatever is saving Settings. I contacted Epson to ask if there is a CMOS Battery or something that saves settings and what would fix this issue, but they were not much help.

The customer did not have a surge protector and there lot's of lightning storms here so this could have broken the printer. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this type of issue? I'm thinking about suggesting he buy a used HP Printer off me to save him money, but it is Very low...if not empty on Colored Ink, so may be even better for him to buy a new one. Any suggestions on Printers that Run Well and Scan from Mate 18.0 Wirelessly without all kinds of file manipulation and luck lol...etc. I like Brother, but always been told that HP is the best for Linux. I can never find any real good info on which Printers actually Install and Work the best on Mate 18.0, most of this info is just opinion, so rather that opinion come from this site. I'll look here also, but some fresh opinion would be nice to add.

Has anything changed with support for Linux? like is HP Still the King, or is something like an inexpensive Brother good also? I'm looking at the MFC-J480DW printer and it looks like they have very new up-to-date drivers: 09/22/2017 (0.4.4-4)

I wonder which Driver would be the best to install? "Driver Install Tool" seems to be the Idiot method, which may be good for me lol, but don't know if that will contain the newest Drivers on the page, ones that will work with Mint 18.xx

Then there is the "LPR printer driver (deb package)" which I would think is the best choice, then choose the latest Scan Drivers and Install, does this sound to be the best way?

I'm not even sure of the difference between the CUPS Wrapper and the LPR Printer Driver?

Thanks, pcpunk
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Epson XP-310 Keeps Losing Wifi Password

Post by JerryF »

Just an FYI:

I have an Epson XP-640, running 18.2 Cinnamon. It runs quite well.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Thanks for the reply Jerry, you also posted in my other Thread
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=244111

But now having these other issues with Printer keeping Password Stored, so don't know if I'll waste more time with the Scanner Fix that was having issues with before. It seems one key would be to not buy a cheapo, I see many comments on the upper end printers working well, and perhaps more issues with the lower end like this one.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

I was also wondering, if the CUPS Interface Install Activates the Scanner also?

I've done this on my C4750 with CUPS but there was no Scanner Operation? But, this is a cheap Printer. I got it all working via HPLIP and installing Scanner Drivers if I remember right. Had to manually Connect with the Printer IP Address and Wifi Password.

So can anyone verify if the CUPS Option (which is an easy solution) will allow Scanning Wirelessly?
Super Clean Runs Perfect
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

CUPS is specific to printing, not scanning.

SANE operates scanning and requires driver/back-end for Linux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanner_Access_Now_Easy

Epson does decent Linux support.

I love my Epson WF-2760. :mrgreen:
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Thanks ClixTrix sometimes the simple things elude me.

Just looked up reviews of the Epson XP-310 and they don't look good lol.

Another question if someone has the time:
Can I install multiple printers like in Windows? I just installed a HP Officejet 6500 that went beautifully on Mate 18.0, and want to test another Epson I have.

Thanks, pc
Super Clean Runs Perfect
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Yes, you can.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I had 1-USB Laserjet, 1-Ethernet printer-scanner (the Epson), and 2-Wifi Laserjets connected at one point a few months back. The extra Wifi was a Canon Laser I picked up and refurbished for a friend. CUPS didn't care.....they all worked fine. I often pick one over another for volume, two-sided, or color print needs.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

the issue can be with usb connections:

it used to be that the first usb connection was designated

Code: Select all

lp0
and the next one was

Code: Select all

lp1
.. so if HP was lp0 and Canon was lp1 then if you turn off the power, the HP needs to be turned on first; so it is seen as /dev/usb/lp0 and then the Canon is /dev/usb/lp1 ... with wireless it should all be fine; and yes, you can write persistent names so they get recognised in whatever order you power them up; http://hintshop.ludvig.co.nz/show/persi ... l-devices/ .. you just need a wet afternoon to sit down and do it ..........
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Thanks guys that helps a lot for me to keep playing with my linux printing installs. I just remembered something about Epson not supporting more than one printer at a time somewhere. But honestly, the Epson site is good, but the way they link to all that info just plays havoc on my ADD!

I was very happy with how the HP 6500 Installed, and Wireless Scanning and all worked OOTB. I learned how to use Simple Scan a little better also, but will need to keep up on it all to do any good.

pc out
Super Clean Runs Perfect

Return to “Printers & Scanners”