Epson WorkForce 845 Install

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Epson WorkForce 845 Install

Post by pcpunk »

Can you guys tell me the difference between:
1. ESC/P Driver (full feature) This one is from "02-07-2012"
AND THE
2. ESC/P-R Driver (generic driver) This one is from: "10-23-2017"

I assume, and if I remember correctly, the Generic is just the Printer Driver without all the features? Why don't they call it "Printer Driver Only" or "Basic Printer Driver" or something that makes sense lol? "Generic" makes one think it is not even provided by Epson? lol, like a Generic Drug etc. O-boy the web never ceases to amaze me.

3. Epson Printer Utility: Am I supposed to always install this? I think I would as it provides Ink Levels etc. but I thought it had other features that were needed? I suppose on low powered machines maybe one would not want something like this.

Thanks again guys!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Epson WorkForce 845 Install

Post by pdc_2 »

If you have access to a WF 845, you might be in the best situation to answer that for us; you could install both drivers; label them so it is easily recognised which is which; and then see about quality of printouts;

folks have suggested that whereas Epson used to make "specific" drivers for each model, they now issue a "generic" driver that works for many, many ..... some could interpret that as a "fall in ... something or other ..!!" or maybe just the way things are going. One is seeing that in other areas: HP releases hplip and it drives all their printers; and none of the HP enthusiasts complain about this; Canon too now seem to have an inkjet printer-driver that seems to be standard for many new inkjets; besides; many new printers are "airprint compatible" (APC) and Ubuntu from last April; (release 17.04) have airprint-compatibility in the release; so one shouldn't need "drivers" for those printers: https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT201311 they just work; a recent post on the Ubuntu forum shows that: for a Canon laser, it appeared as "driverless" where this was an APC-setup; as Mint works off the last LTS, it will be June 2018 before airprint-compatible appears in Mint (I am guessing ........)

so you have the hardware: tell us how it looks
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

I'll give er a go tomorrow!
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Okay guys, I did this to make er work, printer and scanner.

1. Installed ESC/P Driver (full feature)

2. Installed Epson Printer Utility

3. Installed Scanner Driver 1.0.4 All-in-one package

4. Disabled UFW

5. Followed kyphi's instructions here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=225289

QUESTION: Do I now Enable UFW after it is all setup?
Super Clean Runs Perfect
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

pcpunk wrote:QUESTION: Do I now Enable UFW after it is all setup?
I'm assuming you've tested Simple Scan and the Epson Image Scan and they are working.

So, Yes, but if the scanner doesn't work (not available), post back. It might be the SYNCOOKIES problem I've encountered with my Epson Workforce and I have a fix.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Only tested Simple Scan ATM. Will test more tonight!
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

This project is a little stalled because I need to unclog one or two of the print nozzle's.
Super Clean Runs Perfect

Return to “Printers & Scanners”