[SOLVED] Two sided printing - HP

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Post Reply
User avatar
skovacevic96
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:14 am

[SOLVED] Two sided printing - HP

Post by skovacevic96 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:30 am

Okay,

I am a fairly noob in the linux world, had my ubuntu before and had my ubuntu few days back. Decided to switch to mint - looks and feels charming. The problem I had before is the problem I have now, it took me a while to make my HP printer working but the question remains, how to print two sided docs?

Really? Maybe it sounds stupid but we will get to that. I installed all the drivers neccessary, updated hplip, updated all the missing packages manually hplip would not install, about 20 of them or so, got my printer working and even installed hp toolbox which is splendid but I cant print the damn docs two sided! Damn.

I mostly use my linux for school, trying to learn things and pass an exam about OS so its not a big deal but recently I was thinking about absolute madman move and leaving windows for good, sadly I already solved millions of problems - this one is new.

https://ibb.co/cFUPFw
https://ibb.co/c8YjFw
https://ibb.co/hpivNb

The pictures here clearly save you time with answering "properties much" etc because I actually googled entire problem for hours and I really lost my hopes. Please, I would be really grateful if this started working. Cant really dual boot all the time I need something printed...
Last edited by skovacevic96 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wallyUSA
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:31 pm
Location: S.E. USA

Re: Two sided printing - HP

Post by wallyUSA » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:16 am

Your 3rd image shows that 'two-sided' is not enabled. Can you check your printer setup to see if you can turn on duplex? If not, you make want to remove and install the printer. Be on the lookout for a 'duplex' option during the install. It was a check box option when I installed my printer.
Tara Cinnamon 3.8.9 Kernel 4.15.0-39 (64 bit)
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.

User avatar
Pierre
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7563
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Two sided printing - HP

Post by Pierre » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:39 am

depending on the actual HP model, there may also be a rear Hardware Device,
that is use to create the two sided printing.

this device, should also be Enabled, in the HP Driver Software,
or this function will not work, at all.
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

User avatar
skovacevic96
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:14 am

Re: Two sided printing - HP

Post by skovacevic96 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:54 am

Pierre wrote:depending on the actual HP model, there may also be a rear Hardware Device,
that is use to create the two sided printing.

this device, should also be Enabled, in the HP Driver Software,
or this function will not work, at all.
And how am I supposed to do that? I am a newbie, not Mr. Robot :(

rene
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2226
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Two sided printing - HP

Post by rene » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:58 am

You first of all (likely, didn't check specifically) shouldn't have installed hplip or drivers; the standard version is good enough and wrt. for example Python version-compatibility better; you only need(ed) to install hplip-gui manually.

But more directly to the point: the screenshots have your printer listed as the LaserJet Pro MFP M125NW: as the missing "D" in the type suggests, that's not a duplex printer, can not automatically (!) print double-sided. If that type actually matches your printer, all you have in Windows is manual duplexing as well. If it does not, you need to choose the correct printer type.

As to manual duplexing: see the "Only print:" choice in your third screenshot. You can set it to "Even only" or "Odd only". What you cannot do is have a leprechaun jump out of a duplexer-free printer and have it reload a just printed stack of odd pages for you; you'll need to do that much yourself.

User avatar
skovacevic96
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:14 am

Re: Two sided printing - HP

Post by skovacevic96 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:03 am

rene wrote:You first of all (likely, didn't check specifically) shouldn't have installed hplip or drivers; the standard version is good enough and wrt. for example Python version-compatibility better; you only need(ed) to install hplip-gui manually.

But more directly to the point: the screenshots have your printer listed as the LaserJet Pro MFP M125NW: as the missing "D" in the type suggests, that's not a duplex printer, can not automatically (!) print double-sided. If that type actually matches your printer, all you have in Windows is manual duplexing as well. If it does not, you need to choose the correct printer type.

As to manual duplexing: see the "Only print:" choice in your third screenshot. You can set it to "Even only" or "Odd only". What you cannot do is have a leprechaun jump out of a duplexer-free printer and have it reload a just printed stack of odd pages for you; you'll need to do that much yourself.
OK, so if I understood you correctly my printer is not a duplexing machine, but the manual stuff windows did on its own? How i print two-sided is that I check the option and the printer starts printing then it notifies me to put the stack down for another run. Thats it. I need to do that on my own on linux? Phew, that sucks.

rene
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2226
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Two sided printing - HP

Post by rene » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:16 am

skovacevic96 wrote:OK, so if I understood you correctly my printer is not a duplexing machine, but the manual stuff windows did on its own?
Yes. An actual duplexer in the context of printers is al physical part of or addition to your printer that prints one side of a page, pulls the page back in and prints the other. Manual duplexing is much better named "no duplexing"; all it is printing first odd pages, then reloading the just printed pages and printing the even ones; usually in reverse order so that you don't have to reshuffle first as well.

Nothing but an automatic method of doing what you in Linux as far as I'm aware indeed have to do manually; although there might be drivers or applications that can guide you similarly through this as in Windows, I'm not aware of any specifically. In Linux "duplex" is still taken to be "actual duplex". Given the need to reload paper at minimum anyway I wouldn't say it's a huge ordeal to miss the guidance.

User avatar
skovacevic96
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:14 am

Re: Two sided printing - HP

Post by skovacevic96 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:18 am

rene wrote:
skovacevic96 wrote:OK, so if I understood you correctly my printer is not a duplexing machine, but the manual stuff windows did on its own?
Yes. An actual duplexer in the context of printers is al physical part of or addition to your printer that prints one side of a page, pulls the page back in and prints the other. Manual duplexing is much better named "no duplexing"; all it is printing first odd pages, then reloading the just printed pages and printing the even ones; usually in reverse order so that you don't have to reshuffle first as well.

Nothing but an automatic method of doing what you in Linux as far as I'm aware indeed have to do manually; although there might be drivers or applications that can guide you similarly through this as in Windows, I'm not aware of any specifically. In Linux "duplex" is still taken to be "actual duplex". Given the need to reload paper at minimum anyway I wouldn't say it's a huge ordeal to miss the guidance.
Thank you, my sweet rene! You solved the huge part of the problem - realisation that my starting ground was wrong. Thanks! There is a simple tool and it is called "gnome-manual-duplex", installed it and now I am a proud duplexer, yeah! THANKS

rene
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2226
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: [SOLVED] Two sided printing - HP

Post by rene » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:25 am

Thanks for posting back regarding "gnome-manual-duplex". I'm sure others will find that helpful.

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2411
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 1:21 am

Re: [SOLVED] Two sided printing - HP

Post by pdc_2 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:32 pm

I guess this screenshot tells it all; I see the device is only 3 yrs old; folks are sort of expecting duplex to be offered; most of the inkjets now seem to offer it
M125.png

Post Reply

Return to “Printers & Scanners”