Printing to USB printer attached directly to router.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Printing to USB printer attached directly to router.

Post by MMcD488 »

I'm trying to set up my printer on 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit and I'm really struggling with it. I have an HP Deskjet F2430 printer that is connected via USB directly to my router which is a Linksys E3200. On Windows printing is accomplished via a driver installed from the router's setup CD. It's a 3rd party driver called SX Virtual Link and I had to track down a newer version that worked with Windows 10. Unfortunately there is no Linux version on the developer's website. From the properties page in the driver's GUI in Windows, it just lists the MAC address and IPv4 address of the router itself and nothing pertaining to the router's USB port or the printer. The router's online config page is equally as unhelpful as it will only display USB information when there is a storage device attached and even then it only shows the storage size and file system type. I looked on the driver developer's website and there was an FAQ that said the driver needed a firewall exception on port 19540 for both TCP and UDP in Windows so I added it just to try it out. I tried using socket://192.168.1.1:19540 and http://192.168.1.1:19540 in Mint's printer setup but neither would allow the printer to connect. I also tried port 631 and samba just to see if either of those would work (they didn't). I'm hoping that someone can help me figure out what I'm missing here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt
MintBean

Re: Printing to USB printer attached directly to router.

Post by MintBean »

You're probably out of luck. I would contact the router manufacturer and ask if they support printing from Linux.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”