HPLIP update failure

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
susan44

HPLIP update failure

Post by susan44 »

I run Linux Mint 17, with HPLIP 3.14. I have an old HP Laserjet 1018. It's buggy under Linux but I can usually get it to print.

My partner bought an HP Laserjet Pro MFP M130fw. She wants to use it as a photocopier and I want to use it to scan onto a flash drive. Neither of these uses requires a computer. The Read-Me-First instructions with the M130 were confusing, but I think I have to connect it to a computer for some sort of initialization before it will do copying and scanning.

So, fine, I looked it up on the HP site and it is a supported printer for Linux, but only with HPLIP 3.17. It turns out that there is no easy way to update HPLIP, or at least, I could not find one. So, I downloaded a file (hplip-3.17.10.run) from sourceforge to my desktop. I'm a GUI girl, not Terminal, but I managed to run this:
cd ~/Desktop
sh hplip-3.17.10.run

This produced hundreds of lines of gibberish, culminating in a bunch of red Failure notices about "firmware", whatever that is.

This is my current situation:
There is a folder on my Desktop called hplip-3.17.10, with lots of stuff in it. If I go to the Start menu and look for a program called HPLIP, it is not found. There is an HP icon in my System tray, but if I click on it, nothing happens. If I right-click and choose Settings, a window briefly flickers into existence, and then it and the icon both vanish. My older printer, the 1018, is completely unresponsive.

I have 2 questions:

1) Why is this so hard? If I want to update, say, Gimp, I go to Update Manager, click on an Update button, go read a novel for 20 minutes, and presto, it works. Why isn't there some comparably easy way to update HPLIP?

2) How can I get HPLIP 3.17 to work? I assume that that is the first step to recovering my 1018 functionality, and then getting the M130 up and happy.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: HPLIP update failure

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Susan; so ...... welcome to the forum; and

1) HPLIP is written by HP: so it is not in the linux repositories; ...... so it is not updated; in the way GiMP might be .......

2) How can I get HPLIP 3.17 to work? ......... good question; you seemed to have done all that HP suggest; so it should be good; I wonder if you have seen this page from HP: https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... tall/index ..... they way they say it, the automatic installer should identify what is missing; and install it;

if you open a terminal; and paste this command in (PASTE by right-clicking at the flashing text prompt; and look for PASTE in the menu that appears .....)

Code: Select all

dpkg -l hplip
and that is asking debian package manager; to list; (-l); what version of hplip is installed ..............

then

hp-check
and if you can copy what appears in the terminal; and post it back here please: ..........there could be heaps of stuff ..............

........ not sure what the red failure messages about firmware are all about; again; the HP page on installing; https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... tall/index would suggest the programme can go away and find what is missing; and install it ............

______

........ oh .......if you can copy the results of the first paste; and copy them back here please

and if you

cd Desktop
and

sh hplip-3.17.10.run
and if you can select the text that comes out; copy it; paste it back here
susan44

Post by susan44 »

hi pdc_2,

Thanks for your help.

I discovered that if I double-click on the System tray icon, it will open up an HP Device Manager window, which is apparently what HPLIP calls itself. Also, if I search the Start menu, not for hplip, but just for hp, then it brings up the HP Device Manager. However, sometimes it does not respond at all.

Then the menu > Configure > Preferences leads to a Settings window, which is nice, but the right-click on the system tray leading to a vanishing window problem still exists.

The manager identifies itself as version 3.17.10, but when I followed your suggestion and ran "-l hplip" in the Terminal, it identified itself as version 3.14.

So there seem to be some problems in the installation. I could just start over: download another hplip from sourceforge, and run it. It claims to uninstall previous versions. Does this make sense, or is it just inviting trouble?

I did not run the other diagnostics you suggested (or not yet) but I did run the hplip software internal diagnostic from the Device Manager ( with the printer plugged in and turned on). It produced this amazing pile of stuff below, which might make sense to you, but not to me, alas:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.17.10)
Self Diagnse Utility and Healing Utility ver. 1.0

Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Checking for Deprecated items....
No Deprecated items are found

Checking for HPLIP updates....

HPLIP upgrade latest version ver. 1.0

Latest version of HPLIP is already installed.

Checking for Dependencies....

---------------
| SYSTEM INFO |
---------------

Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 10 19:08:14 UTC 2014 GNU/Linux
 Host: dogstar-desktop
 Proc: 3.13.0-24-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 10 19:08:14 UTC 2014 GNU/Linux
 Distribution: 22 17
 Bitness: 32 bit

-----------------------
| HPLIP CONFIGURATION |
-----------------------

HPLIP-Version: HPLIP 3.17.10
HPLIP-Home: /usr/share/hplip
HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is supported for linuxmint distro  17 version 

Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
# hplip.conf.  Generated from hplip.conf.in by configure.

[hplip]
version=3.17.10

[dirs]
home=/usr/share/hplip
run=/var/run
ppd=/usr/share/ppd/HP
ppdbase=/usr/share/ppd
doc=/usr/share/doc/hplip-3.17.10
html=/usr/share/doc/hplip-3.17.10
icon=/usr/share/applications
cupsbackend=/usr/lib/cups/backend
cupsfilter=/usr/lib/cups/filter
drv=/usr/share/cups/drv/hp
bin=/usr/bin
apparmor=/etc/apparmor.d
# Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
[configure]
network-build=yes
libusb01-build=no
pp-build=no
gui-build=yes
scanner-build=yes
fax-build=yes
dbus-build=yes
cups11-build=no
doc-build=yes
shadow-build=no
hpijs-install=no
foomatic-drv-install=no
foomatic-ppd-install=no
foomatic-rip-hplip-install=no
hpcups-install=yes
cups-drv-install=yes
cups-ppd-install=no
internal-tag=3.17.10
restricted-build=no
ui-toolkit=qt4
qt3=no
qt4=yes
qt5=no
policy-kit=no
lite-build=no
udev_sysfs_rules=no
hpcups-only-build=no
hpijs-only-build=no
apparmor_build=yes

Current contents of '/var/lib/hp/hplip.state' file:
[plugin]
installed = 1
eula = 1
version = 3.17.10

Current contents of '~/.hplip/hplip.conf' file:
[upgrade]
notify_upgrade = true
last_upgraded_time = 1511039821
pending_upgrade_time = 0
latest_available_version = 3.17.10

[settings]
systray_visible = 0
systray_messages = 0

[last_used]
device_uri = "hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_1018?serial=KP0Q774"
printer_name = 
working_dir = .

[commands]
scan = /usr/bin/xsane -V %SANE_URI%

[refresh]
rate = 30
enable = false
type = 1

[polling]
enable = false
interval = 5
device_list = 

[fax]
voice_phone = 
email_address = 

[installation]
date_time = 17-11-22 13:48:59
version = 3.17.10

<Package-name>        <Package-Desc>      <Required/Optional> <Min-Version> <Installed-Version> <Status>   <Comment>

--------------
| COMPILEDEP |
--------------

gcc                  gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler                         REQUIRED        -               4.8.4           OK         -
 make                 make - GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs       REQUIRED        3.0             3.81            OK         -
 libtool              libtool - Library building support services                  REQUIRED        -               2.4.2           OK         -

------------------------
| General Dependencies |
------------------------

libcrypto            libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library                    REQUIRED        -               1.0.1           OK         -
 python-xml           Python XML libraries                                         REQUIRED        -               2.1.0           OK         -
 libnetsnmp-devel     libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files REQUIRED        5.0.9           5.7.2           OK         -
 sane-devel           SANE - Scanning library development files                    REQUIRED        -               1.0.23          OK         -
 pil                  PIL - Python Imaging Library (required for commandline scanning with hp-scan) OPTIONAL        -               1.1.7           OK         -
 pyqt4-dbus           PyQt 4 DBus - DBus Support for PyQt4                         REQUIRED        4.0             4.10.4          OK         -
 libpthread           libpthread - POSIX threads library                           REQUIRED        -               2.19            OK         -
 python-devel         Python devel - Python development files                      REQUIRED        2.2             2.7.6           OK         -
 cups-devel           CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System development files    REQUIRED        -               1.7.2           OK         -
 python-dbus          Python DBus - Python bindings for DBus                       REQUIRED        0.80.0          1.2.0           OK         -
 cups-ddk             CUPS DDK - CUPS driver development kit                       OPTIONAL        -               -               OK         -
 reportlab            Reportlab - PDF library for Python                           OPTIONAL        2.0             3.0             OK         -
 pyqt4                PyQt 4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt version 4.x)         REQUIRED        4.0             4.10.4          OK         -
 libusb               libusb - USB library                                         REQUIRED        -               1.0             OK         -
 cups-image           CUPS image - CUPS image development files                    REQUIRED        -               1.7.2           OK         -
 python2X             Python 2.2 or greater - Python programming language          REQUIRED        2.2             2.7.6           OK         -
 python-notify        Python libnotify - Python bindings for the libnotify Desktop notifications OPTIONAL        -               -               OK         -
 libjpeg              libjpeg - JPEG library                                       REQUIRED        -               -               OK         -
 sane                 SANE - Scanning library                                      REQUIRED        -               1.0.23          OK         -

----------------------
| Scan Configuration |
----------------------

scanext              Scan-SANE-Extension                                          REQUIRED        -               3.17.10         OK         -
 hpaio                HPLIP-SANE-Backend                                           REQUIRED        -               3.17.10         OK         'hpaio found in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf'

-------------------------
| External Dependencies |

gs                   GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter and previewer REQUIRED        7.05            9.10            OK         -
 cups                 CUPS - Common Unix Printing System                           REQUIRED        1.1             1.7.2           OK         'CUPS Scheduler is running'
 network              network -wget                                                OPTIONAL        -               1.15            OK         -
 scanimage            scanimage - Shell scanning program                           OPTIONAL        1.0             1.0.23          OK         -
 policykit            PolicyKit - Administrative policy framework                  OPTIONAL        -               0.105           OK         -
 xsane                xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE                  OPTIONAL        0.9             0.998           OK         -
 dbus                 DBus - Message bus system                                    REQUIRED        -               1.6.18          OK         -
 avahi-utils          avahi-utils                                                  OPTIONAL        -               0.6.31          OK         -

---------------------
| Python Extentions |
---------------------

hpmudext             IO-Extension                                                 REQUIRED        -               3.17.10         OK         -
 cupsext              CUPS-Extension                                               REQUIRED        -               3.17.10         OK         -

------------------------------
| DISCOVERED SCANNER DEVICES |

No Scanner found.

--------------------------
| DISCOVERED USB DEVICES |

No devices found.

---------------------------------
| INSTALLED CUPS PRINTER QUEUES |

HP-LaserJet-1018
----------------
Type: Printer
Device URI: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_1018?serial=KP0Q774
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP-LaserJet-1018.ppd
PPD Description: HP LaserJet 1018 Foomatic/foo2zjs-z1 (recommended)
Printer status: printer HP-LaserJet-1018 disabled since Sat 11 Nov 2017 11:09:48 AM PST Unplugged or turned off
Required plug-in status: Installed
error: Unable to communicate with device (code=12): hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_1018?serial=KP0Q774
error: Device not found
error: Communication status: Failed

Samsung-ML-2150
---------------
Type: Unknown
Device URI: usb://Samsung/ML-2150?serial=2461B5AX400250M.
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/Samsung-ML-2150.ppd
PPD Description: Samsung ML-2150 Series PS
Printer status: printer Samsung-ML-2150 is idle.  enabled since Sat 13 Jun 2015 02:19:00 PM PDT
warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend for HP-Devices.

--------------
| PERMISSION |
--------------

Checking Permissions....

Checking for Configured Queues....
warning: Device Samsung-ML-2150 is not HPLIP installed. Device must use the hp: or hpfax: to function in HPLIP.
warning: Samsung-ML-2150 is not HP Device.

error: PPD file for 'HP-LaserJet-1018' is not correct. Need to choose correct PPD file.
Do you want to remove and re-configure? (y=yes*, n=no, q=quit) ? 
' HP-LaserJet-1018' removed successfully.
Re-configuring this printer by hp-setup...

Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

(Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.)

--------------------------------
| SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE |
--------------------------------

Num       Connection  Description                                               
            Type                                                                  
  --------  ----------  ----------------------------------------------------------
  0*        usb         Universal Serial Bus (USB)                                
  1         net         Network/Ethernet/Wireless (direct connection or JetDirect)

Enter number 0...1 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 

Using connection type: usb

error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.

Checking for HP Properitery Plugin's....
Plugin's already installed

Checking for Printer Status....
error: 'HP-LaserJet-1018' Printer is either Powered-OFF or Failed to communicate.
Turn On Printer and re-run hp-doctor

Diagnose completed...

More information on Troubleshooting,How-To's and Support is available on http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

Please close this terminal manually. 
^[OH
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so dpkg thinks only 3.14 is installed; and hplip thinks it is at 3.17 ....... gosh

Your hplip script you gave us seems to suggest all is fine; I think the command hp-check is essentially what you gave us; if you ran

hp-setup
it would check things out again;

________

what I did notice is mention of a Samsung printer? connected by usb?
Samsung-ML-2150
---------------
and I saw
PPD Description: HP LaserJet 1018 Foomatic/foo2zjs-z1 (recommended)
...........if you open the PRINTERS folder; (it is in the ADMINISTRATION folder ..) and do you have only one icon for the HP? If so, if you right-click on it; and look in MAKE & MODEL ............ can you copy what it says there and paste it back here please?

and then it told you this
Checking for Printer Status....
error: 'HP-LaserJet-1018' Printer is either Powered-OFF or Failed to communicate.
Turn On Printer and re-run hp-doctor
.............. so you can always run the command
hp-doctor
______
with the HP turned on and connected; by usb; .......... does it appear when you type the command

lsusb
in a terminal ....... that is asking your system to LIST what USB bits are connected ....... ls being short for LIST .........
susan44

Post by susan44 »

Hi pdc_2,

I ran hp-setup, as you suggested. It asked (via a small GUI) how I wanted to connect, so I chose USB (the default) and plugged in my printer and turned it on. It then searched and found nothing. I did double-check that the cable was properly plugged in. Here is the output:

dogstar@dogstar-desktop ~ $ hp-setup

Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

(python:2883): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(python:2883): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
Searching... (bus=usb, search=(None), desc=0)
error: No devices found on bus: usb

Done.
dogstar@dogstar-desktop ~ $ 

The Samsung thing is confusing. When I print, it gives me the choice of HP and Samsung, and has done so for as long as I can remember. But I don't remember ever having a Samsung. If I did, it was a long time ago.

I used the file manager to search for an "administration" folder on my filesystem, but nothing was located. Sorry.

I ran hp-doctor, as you suggested. Here is the output:

dogstar@dogstar-desktop ~ $ hp-doctor

Checking for Deprecated items....
No Deprecated items are found

Checking for HPLIP updates....

HPLIP upgrade latest version ver. 1.0

Latest version of HPLIP is already installed.

Checking for Dependencies....

---------------
| SYSTEM INFO |
---------------

Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 10 19:08:14 UTC 2014 GNU/Linux
 Host: dogstar-desktop
 Proc: 3.13.0-24-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 10 19:08:14 UTC 2014 GNU/Linux
 Distribution: 22 17
 Bitness: 32 bit

-----------------------
| HPLIP CONFIGURATION |
-----------------------

HPLIP-Version: HPLIP 3.17.10
HPLIP-Home: /usr/share/hplip
HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is supported for linuxmint distro  17 version 

Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
# hplip.conf.  Generated from hplip.conf.in by configure.

[hplip]
version=3.17.10

[dirs]
home=/usr/share/hplip
run=/var/run
ppd=/usr/share/ppd/HP
ppdbase=/usr/share/ppd
doc=/usr/share/doc/hplip-3.17.10
html=/usr/share/doc/hplip-3.17.10
icon=/usr/share/applications
cupsbackend=/usr/lib/cups/backend
cupsfilter=/usr/lib/cups/filter
drv=/usr/share/cups/drv/hp
bin=/usr/bin
apparmor=/etc/apparmor.d
# Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
[configure]
network-build=yes
libusb01-build=no
pp-build=no
gui-build=yes
scanner-build=yes
fax-build=yes
dbus-build=yes
cups11-build=no
doc-build=yes
shadow-build=no
hpijs-install=no
foomatic-drv-install=no
foomatic-ppd-install=no
foomatic-rip-hplip-install=no
hpcups-install=yes
cups-drv-install=yes
cups-ppd-install=no
internal-tag=3.17.10
restricted-build=no
ui-toolkit=qt4
qt3=no
qt4=yes
qt5=no
policy-kit=no
lite-build=no
udev_sysfs_rules=no
hpcups-only-build=no
hpijs-only-build=no
apparmor_build=yes

Current contents of '/var/lib/hp/hplip.state' file:
[plugin]
installed = 1
eula = 1
version = 3.17.10

Current contents of '~/.hplip/hplip.conf' file:
[upgrade]
notify_upgrade = true
last_upgraded_time = 1511039821
pending_upgrade_time = 0
latest_available_version = 3.17.10

[settings]
systray_visible = 0
systray_messages = 0

[last_used]
device_uri = "hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_1018?serial=KP0Q774"
printer_name = 
working_dir = .

[commands]
scan = /usr/bin/xsane -V %SANE_URI%

[refresh]
rate = 30
enable = false
type = 1

[polling]
enable = false
interval = 5
device_list = 

[fax]
voice_phone = 
email_address = 

[installation]
date_time = 17-11-29 11:15:18
version = 3.17.10

<Package-name>        <Package-Desc>      <Required/Optional> <Min-Version> <Installed-Version> <Status>   <Comment>

--------------
| COMPILEDEP |
--------------

gcc                  gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler                         REQUIRED        -               4.8.4           OK         -
 make                 make - GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs       REQUIRED        3.0             3.81            OK         -
 libtool              libtool - Library building support services                  REQUIRED        -               2.4.2           OK         -

------------------------
| General Dependencies |
------------------------

libcrypto            libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library                    REQUIRED        -               1.0.1           OK         -
 python-xml           Python XML libraries                                         REQUIRED        -               2.1.0           OK         -
 libnetsnmp-devel     libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files REQUIRED        5.0.9           5.7.2           OK         -
 sane-devel           SANE - Scanning library development files                    REQUIRED        -               1.0.23          OK         -
 pil                  PIL - Python Imaging Library (required for commandline scanning with hp-scan) OPTIONAL        -               1.1.7           OK         -
 pyqt4-dbus           PyQt 4 DBus - DBus Support for PyQt4                         REQUIRED        4.0             4.10.4          OK         -
 libpthread           libpthread - POSIX threads library                           REQUIRED        -               2.19            OK         -
 python-devel         Python devel - Python development files                      REQUIRED        2.2             2.7.6           OK         -
 cups-devel           CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System development files    REQUIRED        -               1.7.2           OK         -
 python-dbus          Python DBus - Python bindings for DBus                       REQUIRED        0.80.0          1.2.0           OK         -
 cups-ddk             CUPS DDK - CUPS driver development kit                       OPTIONAL        -               -               OK         -
 reportlab            Reportlab - PDF library for Python                           OPTIONAL        2.0             3.0             OK         -
 pyqt4                PyQt 4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt version 4.x)         REQUIRED        4.0             4.10.4          OK         -
 libusb               libusb - USB library                                         REQUIRED        -               1.0             OK         -
 cups-image           CUPS image - CUPS image development files                    REQUIRED        -               1.7.2           OK         -
 python2X             Python 2.2 or greater - Python programming language          REQUIRED        2.2             2.7.6           OK         -
 python-notify        Python libnotify - Python bindings for the libnotify Desktop notifications OPTIONAL        -               -               OK         -
 libjpeg              libjpeg - JPEG library                                       REQUIRED        -               -               OK         -
 sane                 SANE - Scanning library                                      REQUIRED        -               1.0.23          OK         -

----------------------
| Scan Configuration |
----------------------

scanext              Scan-SANE-Extension                                          REQUIRED        -               3.17.10         OK         -
 hpaio                HPLIP-SANE-Backend                                           REQUIRED        -               3.17.10         OK         'hpaio found in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf'

| External Dependencies |

gs                   GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter and previewer REQUIRED        7.05            9.10            OK         -
 cups                 CUPS - Common Unix Printing System                           REQUIRED        1.1             1.7.2           OK         'CUPS Scheduler is running'
 network              network -wget                                                OPTIONAL        -               1.15            OK         -
 scanimage            scanimage - Shell scanning program                           OPTIONAL        1.0             1.0.23          OK         -
 policykit            PolicyKit - Administrative policy framework                  OPTIONAL        -               0.105           OK         -
 xsane                xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE                  OPTIONAL        0.9             0.998           OK         -
 dbus                 DBus - Message bus system                                    REQUIRED        -               1.6.18          OK         -
 avahi-utils          avahi-utils                                                  OPTIONAL        -               0.6.31          OK         -

---------------------
| Python Extentions |
---------------------

hpmudext             IO-Extension                                                 REQUIRED        -               3.17.10         OK         -
 cupsext              CUPS-Extension                                               REQUIRED        -               3.17.10         OK         -

| DISCOVERED SCANNER DEVICES |

No Scanner found.

| DISCOVERED USB DEVICES |

No devices found.

| INSTALLED CUPS PRINTER QUEUES |

Samsung-ML-2150
---------------
Printer status: printer Samsung-ML-2150 is idle.  enabled since Sat 13 Jun 2015 02:19:00 PM PDT
warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend for HP-Devices.

--------------
| PERMISSION |
--------------

Checking Permissions....

Checking for Configured Queues....
warning: Device Samsung-ML-2150 is not HPLIP installed. Device must use the hp: or hpfax: to function in HPLIP.
warning: Samsung-ML-2150 is not HP Device.

warning: No Queue(s) configured.

Checking for HP Properitery Plugin's....
No plug-in printers are configured.

Diagnose completed...

More information on Troubleshooting,How-To's and Support is available on http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
It also gave me a little pop-up like so:
"hp-systray
HPLIP cannot detect devices in your network. This may be due to existing firewall settings blocking the required ports like (5353/udp). When you are in a trusted network environment, you may open the ports for network services like mdns and slp in the firewall. For detailed steps follow the link.
http://hplipopensource.com/node/375"
I did not look at node 375. There is zero likelihood that I could follow geeky stuff like that.

I ran lsusb, as you suggested. It does show the HP 1018, which is bizarre. Now I really don't understand why hplip can't see it. ?! Here is the output:

dogstar@dogstar-desktop ~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:4117 Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 1018
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Thanks again for your help. I do appreciate that this must be frustrating for you.
...............Susan
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so this 1018 only needs hplip 2.7 but it does need the plug-in installed

this page https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... lugin.html talks of that

the crucial step you need to make sure happens is
Check the box to accept with the "Driver Plug-In License Agreement" and click "Next".

however this all started with the HP Laserjet Pro MFP M130fw arriving ....... if I understand you correctly, the older 1018 stopped working then;

1) does the HP Laserjet Pro MFP M130fw print ........ do you use it? Is it a wireless connect?

hplip have released a newer version which is 3.17.11 and it might be worth installing that; as they seem to be releasing them more frequently; and maybe problems are creeping in; as they try to fix other problems ............

but you need to get that plug-in installed
susan44

Re: HPLIP update failure [SOLVED]

Post by susan44 »

I was not able to get this working. However, I have Ubuntu on another partition, so I went there. It did not have HPLIP installed, so I went to Sourceforge, as usual. Strangely, it offered me hplip 3.16.7, and not 3.17.11. Anyway, I installed it and presto, my printer works. I do not understand why an older version would work better then a newer one, but there you go.
So I thought, fine, and I went back to Mint and installed 3.16.7 over top of the newer version, but it still did not work. Crap!
So I swung all my data over to Ubuntu, and now it's my daily OS. I am sorry to be a traitor to Mint, but I really have to have a functional printer.
Good luck to all.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”