Unable to scan with Canon Pixma MG2922 scanner

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrjimphelps

Unable to scan with Canon Pixma MG2922 scanner

Post by mrjimphelps »

I have Linux Mint 18.2 64-bit xfce. I am unable to get my Canon Pixma MG2922 scanner to work.

I installed Xsane, cnijfilter2-5.00-1-deb.tar.gz, and scangearmp2-3.00-1-deb.tar.gz.

When I run Simple Scan, and go to Preferences, the scanner is listed in Scan Source, but it tells me "Unable to connect to scanner".

When I type scanimage --device-name, it returns scanimage: open of device pixma:MG2900_192.168.1.3 failed: Invalid argument
When I type scanimage --list-devices, it returns device `pixma:MG2900_192.168.1.3' is a CANON Canon PIXMA MG2900 Series multi-function peripheral
When I type scanimage -d, it returns scanimage: no SANE devices found

I have installed Windows 8.1 in a VMWare virtual machine, and I can scan that way via the Canon software. But not directly from Linux.

So it looks like I am really close, but "no cigar".

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bertradio
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Unable to scan with Canon Pixma MG2922 scanner

Post by bertradio »

Do you have a firewall? If so, try to disable it. I had to enable port 8612 in my firewall for my MG7720 to work.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

See if these instructions by Pjotr, a member of these forums, will help with a Pixma printer.

Installing Canon Pixma Printers in Linux Mint
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so you can't scan; can you print?

SANE would suggest your 2900 series device is fully supported; http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON ........ so one wonders if the network connection is all good;

as an alternative, Canon do supply drivers from here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 27102.html and if you click to download and select SAVE, it should end up in your Downloads folder as scangearmp2-3.00-1-deb.tar.gz

if you open a terminal; copy each command below line by line; paste into the terminal; hit the ENTER key after each paste ......

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf scangearmp2-3.00-1-deb.tar.gz

cd scangearmp2-3.00-1-deb

sudo ./install.sh
and if you follow that install script as it runs; as it will ask you some questions;

to then run ScanGearMP, firstly type

scangearmp
into the terminal; if it works, we can advise you how to set up a launcher ..........to launch ScanGearMP each time ......
mrjimphelps

Post by mrjimphelps »

Thanks to everyone for your assistance.

The files I installed (cnijfilter and scangearmp), I got them from the Canon-Asia website.

I didn't do the "scangearmp-common" part of the install. I will try that part tonight.

I tried to run "scangearmp", but I couldn't find that file. Perhaps because I didn't do the scangearmp-common part of the install.

Jim
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

well Jim, when I suggested you run the install script; it would do the correct install for you;

Canon usually supply a common package; and a specific package;

for each device; common must be installed first; then specific;
mrjimphelps

Post by mrjimphelps »

Will it hurt if I install the "common" after the specific? The reason I ask is because I have already installed the specific one.

If not, can you tell me how to uninstall the specific package?

Thanks.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Jiom; I would suggest you follow the instructions that I gave in that earlier thread; the install script should be set up to catch problems; and identify the address of the scanner: let us know how it goes
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

did you run xsane and do the Setup there?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
minitux

Post by minitux »

Have you followed all the istructions from terminal by pdc_2 for scangearmp2 ?

If Yes, the command to run Scan program is

scangearmp2
Not scangearmp

If all works, You Can create a . desktop for the menu.
minitux

Post by minitux »

I have try, the packages gave error

dpkg: problemi con le dipendenze impediscono la configurazione di scangearmp2:
 scangearmp2 dipende da libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0); comunque:
  Il pacchetto libpango1.0-0 non è installato
because, first must install libpango1.0-0

retry all

sudo apt install libpango1.0-0

cd Downloads/scangearmp2-3.00-1-deb && sudo ./install.sh
and then connect the printer and run

scangearmp2
I do not have Canon and rightly tells me it does not find the scanner, but the program starts and is in the menu.

To have it in the menu

gksudo xed /usr/share/applications/canon-scanner.desktop
copy/paste

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.6
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Canon Scanner
Type=Application
Exec=scangearmp2
Terminal=false
Icon=scanner.png
Comment=scanner
NoDisplay=false
Categories=Graphics;
and save/close the file, the search Canon Scanner in the Menù-->Graphics
mrjimphelps

Post by mrjimphelps »

My Canon Pixma MG2922 scanner went on the blink, so I have tossed it in the trash. I then purchased a Canon Pixma MX490 scanner, and I successfully got it to scan in Linux Mint. Here's how I did it:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=259251

My guess is that if I had followed the Canon instructions precisely, like I did with my new MX490, I probably would have gotten scanning working on my MG2922. I guess I'll never know.

Anyway, thank you very much to everyone who made suggestions and shared your expertise to try to assist me with this.
mrjimphelps

Post by mrjimphelps »

Update: I didn't actually throw my Canon Pixma MG2922 in the trash -- it was sitting by my back door, ready to put into the trash.

I figured, what the heck, let me see if I can get it to scan. I downloaded the Pixma MG2970 printer and scanner drivers from Canon Asia and carefully followed the install instructions. I was able to install the printer driver, but the scanner driver wouldn't install, because there was already some Canon scanner software installed. So I figured I'd give it a try. I ran the scanner software, clicked the Update Scanner List button, and IT FOUND THE MG2922! I then successfully scanned from the MG2922!

So the moral of this story is: Download the documentation along with the driver, and follow the instructions in the documentation precisely. And perhaps, use the Pixma MX490 driver for the MG2922 scanner.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”