[SOLVED] How to install Linux printer drivers

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
108jan

[SOLVED] How to install Linux printer drivers

Post by 108jan »

Hi

I am running LinuxMint 18.3 Cinnamon on a 64-bit system. As a fairly new user of Linux I find it difficult to install drivers for my thermal ticket printer, and would need some non-technical dummy guide on how to do it. In my particular case, the printer is Excelvan HOP-E58, and I found drivers on github: https://github.com/IntegersOfK/Hoin-POS-58-80

However, as there are so many files, I do not know how to go about installing them. In Windows it was just one installer file, but here... there is not much help online about this kind of less-known printers and if there is it is too technical... I know this is probably a stupid thing to ask but I really don't understand the basics behind installing Linux drivers.

Any help is welcome!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ozo

Re: How to install Linux printer drivers

Post by Ozo »

I just loaded 18.3 too and my HP printer was instantly recognized. In "Printers" it shows the HP logo. There was no need to get drivers from HP as it was automatic.

If your printer is not listed in "Printers" check first if it is on, then restart.

I clicked that link and it took me to github and the driver download was at the top right. It is bright green.The drivers you downloaded should be in the downloads folder. Unzip it and thats it. The user manual pdf is there. The drivers load automatically.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome to Linux Mint, 108jan! There are no stupid questions; that's one of the rules here. I'm sure that if I had one of those printers, I could mess with the driver enough to get it to work, but i don't have one. Almost certainly somebody here will be able to give you help on this. Most printers are pretty easy to install in Mint, but most of us don't have much experience with those specialty printers.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

As I said, I don't have one of those printers, but could probably figure it out if I had one. Here's where I would start:

Go to the website you posted. Click on the green "Clone or download" button. A small window will pop up, at the bottom of it, is says "Download ZIP." Click that, and save the file to wherever you like to save stuff like that. Now, start your file manager and navigate to wherever you saved the file. Right click on the file, then click "Extract here." That will unzip a folder called "Hoin-POS-58-80-master." Double click that folder to enter it. You will find a number of files there, but I think the ones you need are either setup58.sh or setup80.sh, depending on whether your printer uses 58mm or 80mm paper. If yours is one of the 80s, for example, right click on the setup80.sh file, then click Properties. In the window that pops up, click on the Permissions tab, then check the box for Execute: allow executing file as program. Now close that window, and close the file manager. Open a terminal. There is a black icon on the left end of the taskbar (we call it a "panel" in Linux) with hard to read text in it that looks to me like >_. Click that, and a terminal will open. Now you need to go to wherever you downloaded and unzipped that folder to, using the cd command. If you put it in your "Downloads" folder, then you will need to navigate to the folder by typing cd Download/Hoin-POS-58-80-master then hit the Enter key. Your prompt in your terminal should now say something like "yourname@your computer ~/Downloads/Hoin-POS-58-80-master $". Type sudo ./setup80.sh and press Enter. My guess is that will install the printer driver. If not, you will probably get an error message, please copy and paste it in your next post here. And hopefully by the time you get that done, somebody who knows more about it will get here to offer more help if you need it.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
108jan

Post by 108jan »

Ozo and jimallyn,

thank you for your warm words and willingness to help.

As it turns out, I contacted also the Chinese factory where the printer is produced and to my surprise, within a couple of hours they sent me a Linux 64-bit driver with detailed instructions on how to install it. Basically it was like you said, jimallyn, only that the file's name was POS-58-Series, plus they indicated also some playing around with CUPS on localhost:361.

I am happy to see that Linux systems can use also this kind of not-so-known printers.

Thanks again for your help!

Return to “Printers & Scanners”