Epson xp-800

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Epson xp-800

Post by dquinn618 »

When I tried to add my Epson xp-800, the default driver Mint loaded for it doesn't work at all. So then I have to delete the printer. Letting Mint installation go on-line to Epson doesn't retrieve the correct one either so defaults to the resident driver that won't work. Now every time I run the Update Manager one of the errors says there is 201208w (the driver it tried to retrieve) dependency problem-leaving configured. Simple scanning of course doesn't work then either.

For some reason, apparently Epson withholds that driver (201208w).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Epson xp-800

Post by pdc_2 »

I can only suggest going to the Epson site; entry for linux drivers is here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX and tapping in xp-800 takes us to here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... d672b30c9a where they list epson-inkjet-printer-201208w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb for 64bit Mint installs; that driver was released in 2012 and called full-feature;

they seem to now issue several generic drivers that power huge numbers of their range so the generic driver was released on 23rd Oct 2017 http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... 28ce00eb97 and comes down as epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.17-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb so you might find that the best one to go for; if you click to download, and select OPEN ........ hopefully the default setting for OPEN is "open with gdebi installer" and that should mean if you say yes that you get asked for your sudo password; and the driver is installed; hopefully that automatically triggers the next step of REGISTERING the printer with lpadmin (linux printing admin) on your system;

then if you look in the PRINTERS folder; (usually inside the ADMINSTRATION folder) there should be a new entry ..... right-click on it ......... look in the MAKE & MODEL column and see that epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.17-1lsb3.2 is listed;
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

Apparently I need an lsb package installed first? How do I do that? This is a copy and paste of terminal results when the computer tried;

Selecting previously unselected package epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.
(Reading database ... 176098 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.17-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking epson-inkjet-printer-escpr (1.6.17-1lsb3.2) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of epson-inkjet-printer-escpr:
epson-inkjet-printer-escpr depends on lsb (>= 3.2); however:
Package lsb is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package epson-inkjet-printer-escpr (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
epson-inkjet-printer-escpr

That lsb package missing error message also shows up when I use Update Manager. There are many error messages then that say they failed due to needing that lsb package.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I use the programme called Synaptic to install things; if you type its name in the SEARCH area from MENU, it should find it for you; or else it should be in Systems or one of those folders;

If you open it, and type lsb in, it should let you know what is available; you click to say that is what you want; and then you need to hit the DO IT button or somesuch on the top menu bar to make the changes happen;

....... if you just select basic lsb, it will drag in what else it feels you need ...........

another option is open a terminal; and paste the command

Code: Select all

sudo apt install lsb
........ I find it very strange a standard Mint install does not have lsb .................. it sort of seems very basic and Mint is normally very good at having all the basic ingredients installed already ...................

I enclose a screenshot of our lsb from our Synaptic ....... I see the DO IT button is called APPLY ...........
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

Took loading a new Mint version and some terminal commands so my system would accept it. But I think that fixed it, thanks. Now I'll try simple scan :D

Return to “Printers & Scanners”