HP Laserjet Pro MFP M26a - Could Scan, Can't Now (SOLVED)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kellynch
Level 1
Level 1

HP Laserjet Pro MFP M26a - Could Scan, Can't Now (SOLVED)

Post by Kellynch »

I installed the printer about a month or so ago, with no problems; printed fine and Simplescan did the business. I didn't try Xsane on the HP Device Manager, so I couldn't tell if it worked. I tried to scan in the past couple of days and nothing - either using Simplescan or Xsane. I searched and nothing for this model, but others having similar problems were advised to reinstall. I uninstalled/reinstalled the HPLIP and then checked for upgrades, as suggested during the process. I've tried this twice and still can't get any programme to scan.

From Simplescan I got this error message: Failed to obtain value of option mode: invalid argument.

From Xsane I got this message: Failed to start Scanner: invalid argument.

I'd appreciate some advice. Many thanks :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

HP Laserjet Pro MFP M26a needs a plug-in

Post by pdc_2 »

so HP provide a useful page on their hplip website https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ices/index and on that, it says this device needs what HP call a plug-in

then there is a link to this page on plug-ins https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... lugin.html and it advises using the command

Code: Select all

hp-setup
so maybe if you run that; watch the terminal to see if it mentions a plug-in; maybe it will ask you to approve that; (I don't know because I don't own an HP that needs a plug-in ............)

Hopefully once the plug-in is installed; things will work
Kellynch
Level 1
Level 1

Re: HP Laserjet Pro MFP M26a - Could Scan, Can't Now

Post by Kellynch »

I appreciate the help. The printer installation asked me if I wanted the plug-in when I did the installation before I posted this problem and I said yes. Is there a command line I could use to check if it did download?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

well that all sounds fine then for the plug-in; but HP https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... lugin.html you can use

hp-plugin
if it is not installed; I do not know what message the command will give if it is already installed; and one runs the command as a check .......... it should just tell you it is already installed /////////////

HP offer a trouble-shooting page https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... leshooting and there is one for scanning on that; sadly I think you just have to plod through the page https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... otScanning and see if there are any diagnostics that help
you can see they offer a list of commands to paste into the terminal

hp-check

hp-check -t

hpaio--run

scanimage -L
then

sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog
.......... then try scanning and view the syslog for errors. ........ you could post the errors back here and see if anyone can puzzle them out ........
Kellynch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kellynch »

My apologies for not responding earlier, but I've followed the steps you kindly laid out on a few occasions over the past couple of days, which were also on the HP link you gave.

When I entered hpaio--run I got "command not found".

I ran
sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog

but it just seemed to be stuck with the output below with a flashing cursor:

andrew@Khelang ~ $ sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog
[sudo] password for andrew:
Jan 11 18:50:21 Khelang udev-configure-printer[3775]: URI contains USB serial number
Jan 11 18:50:21 Khelang udev-configure-printer[3775]: URI match: usb://HP/LaserJet%20Pro%20MFP%20M26a?serial=CNBKK890KT&interface=1
Jan 11 18:50:21 Khelang udev-configure-printer[3775]: SERN field matches USB serial number
Jan 11 18:50:21 Khelang udev-configure-printer[3775]: URI match: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M26a?serial=CNBKK890KT
Jan 11 18:50:21 Khelang udev-configure-printer[3775]: URI of detected printer: usb://HP/LaserJet%20Pro%20MFP%20M26a?serial=CNBKK890KT&interface=1, normalized: laserjet pro mfp m26a serial cnbkk890kt interface 1
Jan 11 18:50:21 Khelang udev-configure-printer[3775]: URI of print queue: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M26a?serial=CNBKK890KT, normalized: laserjet pro mfp m26a serial cnbkk890kt
Jan 11 18:50:21 Khelang udev-configure-printer[3775]: Queue ipp://localhost/printers/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M26a has matching device URI
Jan 11 18:50:21 Khelang udev-configure-printer[3775]: URI of detected printer: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M26a?serial=CNBKK890KT, normalized: laserjet pro mfp m26a serial cnbkk890kt
Jan 11 18:50:21 Khelang udev-configure-printer[3775]: Queue ipp://localhost/printers/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M26a has matching device URI
Jan 11 18:50:21 Khelang systemd[1]: Started Automatic USB/Bluetooth printer setup (-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:14.0-usb2-2\x2d1-2\x2d1.2).

I thought it had got stuck but when I tried to close the terminal window, it says it was still working. It stayed in this state for quite some time - at least an hour, after which I had to close it.
Kellynch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kellynch »

When I run hp-check I see this:

PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP-LaserJet-Pro-MFP-M26a.ppd
warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/HP-LaserJet-Pro-MFP-M26a.ppd ppd file

Also, when looking through the HP LIP help they ask us to check these:

This is from my terminal output and the HP advice is that they should both = yes

foomatic-drv-install=no

foomatic-rip-hplip-install=no
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

then I think if you run

hp-setup
it shoulld .. I think ...... drag in the needed dependencies; you might like to make the terminal window "full-screen" so you can watch what it says;

this page from HP https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... leshooting may be of help

I think you have to delete any entries in the PRINTERS folder for this HP; and just start again; ........ hp-setup is meant to drag in a plug-in ...... your device seems to need one; maybe you try the command

hp-plugin
first of all and see what it says;

as one looks around; I came across this thread https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... va-843350/

they suggested for the foomatic-rip issue that two commands worked

cd /usr/lib/cups/filter

ln -s foomatic-rip foomatic-rip-hplip
but maybe we re-run the hp commands listed in the first part for starters .......
Kellynch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kellynch »

I ran the request to install the plug-in and it said it was already installed - I ran it again anyway.

I also ran the other hp commands you mentioned.

Here's what I got from the last part you mention re foomatic

andrew@Khelang ~ $ cd /usr/lib/cups/filter
andrew@Khelang /usr/lib/cups/filter $ ln -s foomatic-rip foomatic-rip-hplip
ln: failed to create symbolic link 'foomatic-rip-hplip': Permission denied
andrew@Khelang /usr/lib/cups/filter $
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

HP Laserjet Pro MFP M26a

Post by pdc_2 »

one should add sudo so

ln -s foomatic-rip foomatic-rip-hplip
I also ran the other hp commands you mentioned.
........... did you get error messages etc?
Kellynch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kellynch »

Thankfully the scan function is now working. Even though I followed the HP Help instructions, a friend has taken a look and told me that the install wasn't complete.
So he advised me to:
sudo apt-get --reinstall install hplip

Apparently, (code: rc) wasn't installed properly - I have no idea what this means and don't recall seeing it in the printout from the many commands I've input over the past few days. I also don't recall it being mentioned in any of the HP Help instructions.

Though it doesn't matter now, I'm still perplexed as to how the hplip was working before(presuming the install was good) and then, without any changes or updates from HP, it then didn't work. I did think it might have something to do with the kernel. I did try older kernel versions but no difference.

I just want to say thank you so much with your perseverance in helping me with this issue.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: HP Laserjet Pro MFP M26a - (SOLVED)

Post by pdc_2 »

glad it is all working; very useful to have overtheshoulder friends! the reinstall is a very useful option in apt ........... newer versions of ubuntu moved to apt; rather than apt-get so one could also use the command "sudo apt install --reinstall hplip" .. it seems to be used either way ............ install --reinstall or --reinstall install

The manual page for apt says "--reinstall
Re-install packages that are already installed and at the newest version. Configuration Item: APT::Get::ReInstall."

Return to “Printers & Scanners”