Drivers missing Canon Pixma MP600

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldporridge
Level 1
Level 1

Drivers missing Canon Pixma MP600

Post by oldporridge »

My Canon PIXMA MP600 printer will print from my old laptop, but cannot scan documents – where can I find the missing 'scanning' drivers please?

The Canon website does not offer them.

My searches show that this is a common problem with other Canon printer models too, but following the links provided just leads me into dead ends or technical bewilderment.

Please note that I am aged Linux Mint novice, so please keep any replies technically simple if possible.

Linux Mint 17.2 'Rafaela' Cinnamon 32 bit

Thanks
Oldporridge
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Drivers missing Canon Pixma MP600

Post by catweazel »

"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
oldporridge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldporridge »

Thanks Catweazel, but I can't get it to work for me.

The scanning function on the printer works fine, and I've checked the connections - so it's looking like a driver issue.

I downloaded sane-pixma.5.gz and opened it – still wouldn't scan.

I've probably missed something very simple – can anyone point it out to me please?

This is likely to prove embarrassing so I'm getting in first and I'll blame it on being oldist……

Cheers
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I use Simple-Scan to access scanner controls but that may not work for you. Try it though as it might be all you need. Link below.

Of course if this is a problem of missing dependencies it can be a real pain.. I don't know what that means either but just say the system could be damaged. Folks here will attempt to aid you in restoring the system with inputs to the terminal and advise re-loading the operating system as a last resort only but I find that helpful only occasionally so I do it the hard way and redo the whole thing.

https://opensource.com/life/14/8/3-tool ... ux-desktop
oldporridge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldporridge »

Thanks for the link Ozo, but Simple-Scan doesn't work for me either.

So it's back to square one...........
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

What tells a terminal-command

Code: Select all

scanimage -L
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
oldporridge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldporridge »

Thanks Pjotr but that link doesn't solve the issue - Step 8 requires me to go to the Canon website and download the drivers for the scanning part - but these don't exist on the Canon site for Linux!

Incidently this laptop is 32-bit.

My printer prints but doesn't scan using Linux - the OS found the print drivers during the initial installation, but not the scanning drivers - so it's back to square one.
oldporridge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldporridge »

Cheers Administrollaattori but i don't understand your posting - probably because I'm out of my depth.

I went to scanimage.vidriotechnologies.com but don't see how that helps
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Scanning on Canon Pixma MP600

Post by pdc_2 »

so this is all about scanning from the MP600

one should not need a scanning driver; as the SANE project (Scanning Access Now Easy) works to ensure connection;

so when one searches on the MP600, the SANE team say support for this device is COMPLETE http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON

_______

so we would need you to copy some commands from below; and paste them into a terminal; the terminal is the tv screen on the bottom line; and to PASTE, if you right-click at the text prompt; (the flashing rectangle in the terminal): then when you right-click you should see Paste as an option there ........... does that check out ok?

lsusb

sane-find-scanner

scanimage -L

sudo sane-find-scanner

sudo scanimage -L
you will see the last two commands have the sudo preface so you will need to enter your sudo pasword there

(You might like to edit the title of your very first post to say Scanning for the MP600 ........ as this is not about drivers; )
oldporridge
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to scan - Canon Pixma MP600

Post by oldporridge »

Thanks and apologies for the delay in responding, for I have been away in a remote place with no internet access. I'm now back.

I did come across the SANE project in my earlier searches but couldn't work out what it was, or how to use it, though I did suspect it might involve the Terminal, but I have not done any programming since the late 1960's (Algol 60), so looked elsewhere for something hopefully simpler.

I have successfully copied all the commands into the Terminal, but cannot enter my SUDO password to complete the process.

I do know what my SUDO password is, but cannot enter it (or anything else!) where indicated, either before I've copied the commands or after I've pasted them. Please clarify.

Incidentally I've also tried to edit the title to my first message but that seems to be unsuccessful as well - I'm clearly losing the plot - so it goes......

Cheers

Last bumped by oldporridge on Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:09 am.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”