Wind up with 2 devices for Brother printer

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Wind up with 2 devices for Brother printer

Post by wpshooter »

Can anyone tell me why it is that when I go thru the install routine as per the instructions
given on the Brother printer website for my Brother model DCP-L2540DW printer, that I
wind up with 2 devices for that printer shown in the administration/printer section of
Linux Mint Mate ?

One of the devices is named DCP-L2540DW (the same name that I gave during the terminal
command install) and another one named DCP-L2540DW series.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Wind up with 2 devices for Brother printer

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi there wpshooter

Mint always tries to be helpful; so it will attempt to auto-configure the printer for you; sometimes it doesn't have the right thing that you might want ........ on the menu ........ so it offers something near

If you go to the PRINTERS folder; right-click on each icon; look in PROPERTIES; then can you tell us what is in MAKE & MODEL for each please? .... drag the window to the right to see all the text ................

........ I am guessing
DCP-L2540DW series
may say something like Foomatic/Postscript ....

but the
DCP-L2540DW
is the correct one with the correct Brother drivers; ...... have a look at what it says;

again, because of this "helpful aunt" hovering .... if you delete the series entry; next time you re-boot, helpful aunt is likely to say ..... oh dear, wpshooter has accidentally deleted my SERIES entry; so I will re-create it ........ you have to disable a cups scanning utility ....... you can google on how to do this ..... I just live with SERIES entries ..........
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

I just live with SERIES entries ..........

Yes, that is what I have been doing. I get rid of the device listed which does not have series at the end of it.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so you have just asked about an upgrade;

from the Brother installer script; it uses the Brother drivers and it gets called
DCP-L2540DW
........ I would always be tempted to use that one;

the reason I say that, is that DCP-L2540DW-series is to me; likely to be an open-source option; .... I am thinking it might be "close enough" ....... but if you

If you look back at the earlier post I did; I was curious what was in MAKE & MODEL .... can you tell us what they each say please?
TopEnder
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TopEnder »

G'Day All, I'll put my 2 bobs worth in. I think it's the way the Brother drivers are installed for MFC Printers. To me it treats the printer and the scanner side of the printers a two separate identities. I have had no problems in using either the printer or scanner and it does not effect which one you set as default. While I find setting up Brother MFC printers reasonable east following Pjor's instructions, Brother needs to update their drivers and automate the installation process, as it’s easy to install the MFC printer on a Mobile/Cell phone that it is to do on either Ubuntu or Linux.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Well, I found out the solution today, did the installation on my DESKTOP computer.

It seems that the key to getting only one (1) device listing for the printers is to have
the USB cable connected to the computer port WHEN you run the Brother INSTALLER
SCRIPT. When I did that I wound up with only 1 printer listing, i.e. DCP-L2540DW.

Previously, (like on my laptop, which I did two or three days ago), I had been leaving
the USB cable disconnected from the computer and then subsequently plugging it in
after I had done a reboot, i.e. for some reason that results in 2 printer device listings.

So, a word to the wise to future Brother printer users, looks like you need to have
the USB cable plugged into the computer port WHEN you run the installer script.

It would really be helpful if Brother would put a note to that effect on their website !!!

P.S. - I asked them to do so.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition

Return to “Printers & Scanners”