Samsung ML-1740 Cups filter rastertopdf

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mebegeebee

Samsung ML-1740 Cups filter rastertopdf

Post by Mebegeebee »

My ML-1740 has worked fine for several years until yesterday. Started getting an error "Missing filter usr/lib/cups/filters/rastertoqpdl - no such file. My filters does contain a file rastertopdf, but the changes to the name seem rather unlikely apart from some kind of malicious intent. Can only suspect a recent update precipitated this issue. Anyone else having any similar issues?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Samsung ML-1740 Cups filter rastertopdf

Post by pdc_2 »

we have that raster file
rastertoqpdl
in our usr/lib/cups/filters directory; it seems uncommon for it to wander off: google doesn't really mention it since a strange 2008 Arch post marked as SOLVED but to me it ends nowhere; other posts for Samsung mention rastertospl vanishing;

what about going to the PRINTERS folder; deleting the existing entry; select ADD; let it find your printer; re-configure .. does it magically sort itself out? the two open source ML-1740 options on our Mint are listed as ML-1740 2,0,0 or ML-1740 foomatic;

...... actually before you delete the existing entry; what does it say in the PROPERTIES option; in MAKE & MODEL? but if you tell us that; and I can only suggest you try the above

Samsung do release a driver; the ULD ..... unified linux driver ...... it comes from an HP site now; the purists don't like where it puts various files so a group of linux enthusiasts offer their own "improved" linux Samsung driver http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Mebegeebee wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:44 am My ML-1740 has worked fine for several years until yesterday. Started getting an error "Missing filter usr/lib/cups/filters/rastertoqpdl - no such file.
Have you tried reinstalling the driver?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Mebegeebee

Post by Mebegeebee »

Tried deleting the printer and then adding it back again, but it's like the information/database on printers is gone?? Had to try several methods to be able to load the Samsung suldr drivers, but it still doesn't give me the option to add it or anything else. The only place I can see that my printer is connected is to go to Terminal and use lsusb. Otherwise, no success in trying to add any kind of printer.
Am beginning to think the only way to regain access to the printer is to reload 18.3 altogether. Not a problem, as my system and home are on different partitions. But it had been working fine, and if it was an update that broke it, what's to say the same thing won't just happen again?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

If I was going to install the ULD driver from Samsung, I would go here https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... s/17156956 and enter the linux and ubuntu sections; then download what will be their tar.gz file

the version I have; just to see what is in it; is uld_v1.00.36_00.91.tar.gz

but the commands at a terminal would be

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf uld*
........ I just put that in because it should unpack the tar.gz and version HP now offer seems to be 1.00.6 or something ......but upackaging creates a directory called uld so the next command is

cd uld
and then one just starts the install script with

sudo ./install.sh
and that should 1) install the drivers and 2) register the printer and ........it should work ............

Return to “Printers & Scanners”