How do I Coax Linux 18.3 Cinnamon to Look for Scanner Portion of Networked Pixma all-in-one?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JaimeWorldGuy

How do I Coax Linux 18.3 Cinnamon to Look for Scanner Portion of Networked Pixma all-in-one?

Post by JaimeWorldGuy »

The journey I’ve had trying to get Linux to run the scanner portion of my Canon TS5020 all-in-one wirelessly has been long (and is still ongoing). I had a dilemma about where to post this: Is it a “scanner” problem, or a “networking” problem? I see it just as much of a network “awareness” problem, and there are other aspects at play too, so I’m posting this as a new topic.

First, I’ll succinctly state the primary problem I can’t seem to get past. Then, I’ll flesh out details, with peripheral suggestions / observations along the way. The main problem:

I can operate the printer part of the all-in-one fine, both wirelssely networked (with static IP address assigned), and USB-connected. The scanner only works via USB, and ability to run is limited (must navigate in /etc area; not able to make shortcut, etc. More on that in a moment…)

So here’s the history that brought me here:

I did a fresh rollout of Linux 18.3 Cinnamon. As part of the system build-up, I set about getting my trusty Canon Pixma TS5020—which had been running fine on a Windows 7 machine (until W7 machine died! Bye-bye Microsoft!!!). I was thinking about using WINE to try and get the Windows version Canon software drivers to run, but before going down that road, I ran across a Google link that walked me through a significant partial success:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/18

The info provide there is quite good: With that, I was able to direct USB-connect the all-in-one TS5020, use the Linux GUI Settings/Printers/Add Printer configuration code to add the printer; I was able to use that to add the printer initially as USB-connected, and then later I added it as a network printer (I named that one slightly differently so I can conveniently use the TS5020 either way).

During the Add Printer steps, Linux found Gutenprint, so I went ahead and downloaded that. After that, Add Printer took me to a second Driver (for PPD, etc.). But right there on that screen it suggests getting it from the manufacturer; I exited out of Add Printer and did that. I was pleasantly surprised to find Linux downloads available on Canon (last time I tried this a couple of years ago, no such luck). So I downloaded, unzipped, and executed both the debianPackage archive versions of the IJ Printer Driver 5.40 for Linux and ScanGear MP version 5.40 for Linux.

I have two side questions relevant at this point:

1) What is the rpm package archive version? I saw that but something told me to use debian.

2) Why doesn’t Linux have a Hardware/Scanners, “Add Scanner” GUI configuration feature that works similar to Add Printer? That would have the potential to take a lot of the misery out of the process (or maybe a checkbox for all-in-one, say, under Add Printer, that would streamline combined scanner cases like this?)

To summarize, after all of this (including second Add Printer with USB disconnected, with goal of it finding networked printer), all is good with the printer part of the TS5020.

BUT…

As per the Google site indicated may happen, I found that Simple Scan did not work. However, I was able to navigate to within the Canon driver area, as the last paragraph of the Google site says (with one variance file is named scangearMP2, at /file system/usr/bin), as follows :

“After that, you're ready: the printer should work now, including the scanner part. If the scanner doesn't work with the default scanning application Simple Scan, try launching Canon's own scanning application by means of the terminal command scangearmp (scangearmp should be somewhere in your menu as well, by the way).”

So the good news is, that worked; at least I can run the scanner in that limited fashion (connected via USB; direct execute of scangearMP2). But that leads me to another question:

3) Why can’t I create a shortcut to that file? When I right click on it, that option isn’t there. If I end up stuck with running the scanner from there, I expect to have to write some kind of script to launch the executable. But why is that necessary?

This is where my intensive journey leg began to coax Linux to see the scanner portion of the TS5020 on the network. As I indicated previously, it sees the networked printer portion fine (and again, the TS5020 has a dedicated IP address; I can also see with the arp command).

I next learned a little about SANE. For example, I ran the sane-find-scanner command, with this result (when connected via USB):

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x1802 [TS5000 series]) at libusb:002:006

In an effort to “teach” Linux about the TS5020 scanner being on the network, I added the IP address to net.conf file, editing /etc/default/saned, changing “RUN=no” to “RUN=yes”, and modifying the file /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf by adding the line “bjnp://(the TS5020 IP address)”, running the service saned start command, etc. These are links I found related to this:

How to map network scanner:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/200915/ ... rk-scanner

There is a known bug with starting saned scanner service, with error message:
“Failed to start saned.service: Unit saned.service is masked.”

I got past that with fix indicated here:
https://kbpdfstudio.qoppa.com/how-to-so ... -on-linux/

So after all of that, Linux still doesn’t see the scanner at its IP address.

What have I missed? Any ideas on how to break through?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How do I Coax Linux 18.3 Cinnamon to Look for Scanner Portion of Networked Pixma all-in-one?

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: How do I Coax Linux 18.3 Cinnamon to Look for Scanner Portion of Networked Pixma all-in-one?

Post by pdc_2 »

welcome to the forums; we hope you can get actively involved; and help; your contribution would be greatly valued;

_______

if I say that programmes such as Simple Scan and XSane are the "front-ends" for the engine of open-source scanning, which is SANE http://www.sane-project.org/

like many aspects still of linux, SANE is supported by a bunch of great volunteers;

so they have to either get their hands on hardware; or get volunteers to run tests on their own gear; to see what works; and what can be better tweaked;

________

so SANE comes out as 1) standard; which most distros issue as stock standard; and 2) the development issue:

when I look at the standard issue of SANE, http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON it says all the TS devices are untested and they need volunteers;

when I look at the development issue of SANE, http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane- ... ml#Z-CANON they say
Good All resolutions supported (up to 1200DPI). WiFi not working.
______

1) so you could add the development issue of SANE; go here https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+arch ... u/sane-git ....... if you need advice on how to do it; please ask back

2) you could join the mailing list for SANE; they are very friendly and helpful; you have the hardware; you could offer help; they could well do with your help; http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/ ... sane-devel

_____
so in summary, with newer (and very excellent devices like yours;) things are evolving; but with linux you can really get to contribute yourself to getting the things done; that you feel need to be done;

(PS If you ran the install script?? .......... to get ScanGearMP2 installed ........ I am surprised the wifi doesn't work ........... please let me know what you did )
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

you also ask
3) Why can’t I create a shortcut to that file?
________
I think what you want is called a LAUNCHER on linux;

1) go to bottom panel; right click ....... select ADD to PANEL
2) select top-line ....... CUSTOM ...... click ADD button on bottom of box
3) as you know, COMMAND must be
scangearmp2
but the rest is as you wish it ...........
4) hit the OK button and it will appear on the bottom line

5) If you were click on the stock icon at the left; before hitting OK; you can change the picture ...... either add your own at the dpi it wants; or find one from the library ........
Last edited by pdc_2 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaimeWorldGuy

Post by JaimeWorldGuy »

Thanks for the link, but that essentially gave me what I already had. In fact, at the end of the link you provided (-17), it says "Canon PIXMA", which hyperlinks to the first link I posted in my original reply (-18). As nearly as I can tell, neither the link I used nor the one you sent gives any info about how to effect network recognition. Indeed, the -18 one specifically directs you to use USB connection first, even if planning to connect over the network later.

Again, the printer part works fine, both via USB and wireless networked. But the scanner works only via USB, and then ONLY when I manually dig down to the Canon /file system/usr/bin/scangearMP2 executable file and launch from there.

The biggest problem I have remains that I can't get Linux to recognize the networked scanner, in spite of my efforts to effect that manual configuration (by modifying config files, running the SANE daemon, etc.).

:?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so there are two separate ways of coaxing a scanner into life:

1) open-source ..... by SANE

2) a driver from the manufacturer

..... I was attempting to say that the SANE folks seem only to have been able to support usb so far; I can only apologise for not helping you further.
JaimeWorldGuy

Post by JaimeWorldGuy »

Thank you for the info and suggestions. I'll consider installing the development version of SANE and helping in other ways. Just to clarify on what you said here:

when I look at the development issue of SANE, http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane- ... ml#Z-CANON they say
Good All resolutions supported (up to 1200DPI). WiFi not working.
______

The TS5020 is connected to a wireless router (wirelessly), which is connected via cable to upstream router (the latter same one my computer is hard-connected to). Using "arp" I can confirm that the Linux OS "sees" it. Plus as I mentioned, the fact that I can print means the wirless connection aspect is working. Another way of expressing the point I'm trying to make is, given that communication is working over mix of wire and wireless (e.g. printing successfully), that network path operation is confirmed, and in my mind should be equivalent to having a wired printer connected to the same router as computer; that is, the issue comes down to why does printer work for both paths, but the scanner work only over USB, not over ethernet? I may be overlooking and oversimplifying here...

On this:
(PS If you ran the install script?? .......... to get ScanGearMP2 installed ........ I am surprised the wifi doesn't work ........... please let me know what you did )
[/quote]

For my own documentation, I took a screen capture of install script for the printer part, but not the scanner part (looked nearly the same, except for modification of tar command for scanner files as per instructions). Is this the type of script you're talking about (again, this for printer part; I wish I'd screen captured scanner part!). One thing I did NOT do is reboot the computer between running printer and scanner install scripts. Could that have introduced a problem? (I did restart computer after running both install scripts):
Screencapture_Canon_Driver_Script_Install.jpg
The command I ran (but not screen captured) for scanner part was:
cd Downloads && tar -xvzf ~/Downloads/scangear*deb.tar.gz

I'm thinking proof that the scanner installation part was successful is by virtue of the fact that I can manually go and run scangearMP, scanning successfully (but only with that app, and when connected via USB).
JaimeWorldGuy

Post by JaimeWorldGuy »

pdc_2 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:07 pm so there are two separate ways of coaxing a scanner into life:

1) open-source ..... by SANE

2) a driver from the manufacturer

..... I was attempting to say that the SANE folks seem only to have been able to support usb so far; I can only apologise for not helping you further.
Well, as I said the scanner is "alive"; I can scan, just not via network. As I said in a different sub-thread, I'm not sure why wireless versus hard ethernet matters here. If I could just get Linux to see the IP address for scan purposes, then I'd be good to go.

Is what you're saying that SANE is simply not quite able to completely support my particular all-in-one (TS5020) at this time, so that even if I modify SANE files by giving it the IP of the scanner / printer (as I've done), it won't work? Another poster submitted something similar ("Wifi not working"). If that's the case with current SANE, then 1) may be off the table. That brings me to your 2)...

Are you saying there's a driver in the Canon package I installed that could help bridge the gap to network IP (for scanner)? If so, I wonder what the filename(s) are and how I can do that?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Is what you're saying that SANE is simply not quite able to completely support my particular all-in-one (TS5020) at this time, so that even if I modify SANE files by giving it the IP of the scanner / printer (as I've done), it won't work?
........ when the team at SANE say wifi not working ...... that I what I would understand; but you could join the mailing list and talk to them ... very approachable folks ...........

for scangearmp2 for your device: I get the sense you have it installed already ............

Code: Select all

dpkg -l scangear*
will tell you

_______
If I were suggesting to someone how to install it from new: I would suggest going here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 40201.html and downloading scangearmp2-3.40-1-deb.tar.gz and so dpkg would likely report something like
scangearmp2-3.40-1-deb
JaimeWorldGuy

Post by JaimeWorldGuy »

I think I may have had a basic misunderstanding about the SANE daemon (saned). I just looked and found this definition:

"saned is the SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy) daemon that allows remote clients to access image acquisition devices available on the local host."

Doesn't "local host" mean that its purpose is for where you have the scanner directly connected to your computer (say, via USB); in other words, your local computer would be the "local host"?

I have quite a bit of technical knowledge, but am a little weak on some basic networking terminology. If that is right, is (some part of) SANE still needed for cases where the printer is standalone on the network?

Please clarify.

Thank you.
JaimeWorldGuy

Post by JaimeWorldGuy »

I tried adding a launcher per your instructions, but this is what happens:

1) I right click, and one option is "+Add applets to panel."
2) It shows a pop-up where I can Manage/Download, search, and it shows a list of Installed applets. There are five buttons at the bottom, including a "+", but all but a partical CCW arrowhead (reset all) are grayed out. I didn't see a top-line (other than the Search box).

That said, I next tried right-clicking at the BOTTOM LEFT, and that took me to the Menu Editor. From there, I was able to create a new item in the Menu list, which I put under "Office". Not quite the desktop launcher I was going for, but good enough for now.

Thank you for steering me to a workable method!
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

to reply about SANED: I had always understood that if you have a wireless printer in your study; and the wireless router sitting nearby; you had to still involve SANED: ..... I had understood the rationale was that with a printer data just goes out; with a scanner it goes 2 ways; so security risks ... Canon have bidirectional printers; so their advice on configuring them talks of that;

________
Epson seem some of the trickier scanners for folks to set up; but if you read the ImageScan manual for one Epson device http://download.ebz.epson.net/man/linux/iscan_e.html you can maybe see what they are trying to do; and I think you have seen this Ubuntu wiki https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SaneD ... d+tutorial or something very similar; ...... Mint being derived from Ubuntu
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

adding launcher to Mint Mate

Post by pdc_2 »

to reply about launchers: we use Mate; so what I posted was what Mate would offer; the applets is all new to me: are you using Cinnamon or something?

.... if you have added ScanGearMP2 to the main menu; you can now go the bottom panel; select to add a new thing; and if you choose 2nd down .... application launcher ....... you should find it in whichever place you parked it
JaimeWorldGuy

Post by JaimeWorldGuy »

pdc_2 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:44 pm
so SANE comes out as 1) standard; which most distros issue as stock standard; and 2) the development issue:

when I look at the standard issue of SANE, http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON it says all the TS devices are untested and they need volunteers;

1) so you could add the development issue of SANE; go here https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+arch ... u/sane-git ....... if you need advice on how to do it; please ask back
Since we last corresponded, I have acquired evidence that supports your suggestion of obtaining the latest SANE files and is consistent with the other things you said. I reached this conclusion in the process of doing these things:

1) One of the sites I found informed me how to get SANE help, pertaining to Canon Pixma scanners, directly from the terminal window, via: "man sane-pixma". I was surprised at how much useful information is available from that! It lists out quite a few Pixma models supported (and some "untested", etc.). IMPORTANTLY, the TS5000 series does NOT appear. BUT...

2) I also happened to have page 5 of the help manual open in a browser window, as available directly from the web (at http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-pixma.5.html). And guess what?...

From the website version, it DOES list the TS5000 series. Here's a pertinent excerpt:

**********************************************************************************************

The following models are not well tested and/or the scanner sometimes
hangs and must be switched off and on.

PIXMA MP760, MP770, MP780, MP790

The following models may use the same Pixma protocol as those listed
above, but have not yet been reported to work (or not). They are
declared in the backend so that they get recognized and activated.
Feedback in the sane-devel mailing list welcome.

PIXMA E400, E460, E470, E480, E500, E510, E560, E600, E610
PIXMA MG3000, MG4100, MG6500, MG6600, MG6800, MG6900, MG8100
PIXMA MP375R, MP493, MP495, MP740
PIXMA MX320, MX390, MX430, MX450, MX490, MX710
PIXMA G3000
PIXMA TS9000, TS800, TS6000, TS5000
PIXUS MP5
imageCLASS MF810/820, MF5630, MF5650, MF5750, MF8030, MF8170c
imageCLASS MPC190
imageRUNNER 1133
i-SENSYS MF210, MF220, MF5880dn, MF5900, MF6680dn, MF8500C
MAXIFY MB2000, MB2300, MB5300

**********************************************************************************************

So this is strong evidence that I can increase my chances of getting my TS5020 to work by downloading / installing newer files (that is, at least there is some form of backend support in the later code).

As a secondary point, the man instructions discuss that I may need to create a firewall exception rule to allow communication; my read is I may not have to if I can configure files for proper backend. Will return to this point after I try latest backend support files.

Next, I've got to figure out how to get the correct latest files for my version of Linux Mint (18.3 Cinnamon). As part of this effort I'll look into the links you sent previously...
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I think if you joined the SANE Development mailing list; and got advice there; they would tell you; what I suggested ...... add the Rolf Bensch ppa; as per the instructions; let synaptic then install the latest sane and at least the TS will be recognised but seems like ..... will only work usb ....... you could offer to help them ...... good to get wireless going? 1.0.27 version of SANE ...... added 9th Feb 2018; versus 1.0.25 from the standard install

Return to “Printers & Scanners”