[SOLVED] HP printer doesn't work with Mint 18.3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
donreid

[SOLVED] HP printer doesn't work with Mint 18.3

Post by donreid »

I upgraded from Mint 18.2 to Mint 18.3 using Software Sources / Synaptic. I didn't do a clean install. Now my HP colour laserjet M252dw printer does not work at all.

I reinstalled anything to do with CUPS and I updated HPLIP to the latest version with no improvement. I then ran HP-doctor from a terminal and found out that Linux Mint 18.3 is not compatible with my printer and that several files were missing (python3-dev, python3-notify2, libusb, libtool). I installed these files using Synaptic Package Manager.

Still can't print. I can print a test page from within HPLIP but can't print any documents from within HPLIP or from any application. When I send something to print the printer kicks into action for a fraction of a second then stops and an error is reported. Running diagnostics just reports that the printer state is Ready. The current situation is that when I run HP-doctor I get the result in the attachment (see especially the highlighted text).

This seems surprising but I can't live without a printer so my questions are:
- Is there a solution to this?
- Would it be any different if I did a clean install of 18.3?
- Is it likely to be corrected by updates to Mint 18.3?
- Do I need to go back to 18.2?

Your assistance would be appreciated, thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: HP printer doesn't work with Mint 18.3

Post by JerryF »

donreid wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:46 am ...
This seems surprising but I can't live without a printer so my questions are:
- Is there a solution to this?
There is, but we don't know just what it is---yet.
- Would it be any different if I did a clean install of 18.3?
I would do this as one of the last resorts.
- Is it likely to be corrected by updates to Mint 18.3?
Update and see. You may also want to try an earlier kernel.
- Do I need to go back to 18.2?
Again, one of those last resorts.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Don; I just wonder if you run

Code: Select all

hp-check
for us; maybe it is just the same as hp-doctor; if so, I apologise

and then if not too much missing, if you delete the existing entry for the HP from the PRINTERS folder; (as it isn't working ...) and then run

Code: Select all

hp-check
...... there is a chance that will do the right thing by you and set things up;

___________-

there are other things lurking in the background that maybe we need to go to; if no joy as above. Karl from our forum here, did quite a bit of sleuthing last year on hplip; https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1 ... omments/13

and the summary seems to be that when you put the new hplip in; the older version is not properly removed; so his excellent summary details what files you need to specifically remove; before doing a new install; maybe we just see though if any joy above ......
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

karlchen's post on HPLIP was correct. Before you can install a newer HPLIP, you must uninstall/purge the existing version.
Another important tip is to update Python first, then be sure to install the version of HPLIP that corresponds with the Python version on your system.
I installed HPLIP on 4 HP printers in the last month, and everything works fine.
I wrote a piece on installing HP printers and HPLIP Uninstall/Reinstall that I use now to correctly install HP printers.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
donreid

Post by donreid »

Thanks everyone for your help. Someone suggested I run the lp command from a terminal. I did that and to my amazement it printed perfectly. I then tried to print the same thing from an application and that worked, too. Whatever the problem was it seems to have cleared itself and I can now print normally. Astonished but pleased.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Congratulations. I know how you feel as my HP laser jet recently failed to work and nothing I tried fixed it. I reloaded the os (18.3 Serena) and then the printer and scanner loaded automatically with no need for installing the HP-lip utility. :)

Marking this solved will be a good feeling.
ponchuk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ponchuk »

Joe2Shoe wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:51 pm karlchen's post on HPLIP was correct. Before you can install a newer HPLIP, you must uninstall/purge the existing version.
Another important tip is to update Python first, then be sure to install the version of HPLIP that corresponds with the Python version on your system.
I installed HPLIP on 4 HP printers in the last month, and everything works fine.
I wrote a piece on installing HP printers and HPLIP Uninstall/Reinstall that I use now to correctly install HP printers.
what was your procedure. mine prints but no xsane
ponchuk
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] HP printer doesn't work with Mint 18.3

Post by ponchuk »

I had the almost the same problem with 18.3. everything worked except the scanner. solved it with the newest update from hp. hplip 3.18.3. download and install and everything will work

Return to “Printers & Scanners”