Installing HPLIP-GUI app on Linux Mint 17.3 laptop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FenderGuy

Installing HPLIP-GUI app on Linux Mint 17.3 laptop

Post by FenderGuy »

I installed HPLIP 3.17.11 on my Linux Mint 17.3 laptop. The only available HPLIP-GUI app in software manager is for HPLIP 3.15.2, which I installed, but it seems very quirky (doesn't recognize the printer as being online, shows communication errors with the printer, etc.).

Is there an HPLIP-GUI app for HPLIP 3.17.11? Can it be downloaded and installed apart from having to reinstall HPLIP 3.17.11?

Are HPLIP and HPLIP-GUI 2 separate installs?

Thanks, guys.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Installing HPLIP-GUI app on Linux Mint 17.3 laptop

Post by rene »

hplip and hplip-gui should always be at the same version: the only reason that hplip-gui is split of and not installed by default is to fool people without an HP printer into believing they don't have superfluous software installed; hplip itself is by default installed and hplip-gui should also be to (more) avoid people manually installing hplip.

Specifically, newer HPLIP versions tend to have incompatibilities with Mint 17's / Ubuntu 14.04's antiquated Python setup. Your post does not say WHY you installed a newer HPLIP but if you were simply unaware that you already had it installed: you shouldn't have done that. Only if you have a very new printer hplip support for which is recent, is installing newer hplip useful or advised. Best thing would be to uninstall the -- supposedly manually installed from the web? -- version again and reinstall the standard repository version; this would get you a compatible hplip and hplip-gui again. I do remember when I did so myself at some point on 17.x that this did not in fact work out due to by the manual HPLIP install added incompatible Python dependencies, but your mileage may vary.

Alternatively: what Ubuntu splits of as hplip-gui is simply part of the upstream hplip distribution. I can't be sure why it's not in your menu's but perhaps the hplip-gui repo install overwrote something. Or perhaps the newer one is simply in another menu section? Shan't be checking. You should also be able to start it from the command line as "hp-toolbox" after locating it.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”