Printer Brother MFC J870DW set up on LM 18.3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimeus13

Printer Brother MFC J870DW set up on LM 18.3

Post by jimeus13 »

I am having trouble setting up a Brother MFC J870DW printer on a Toshiba L750 laptop. Previously the drivers have been available in earlier OS such as LM 17.3 32 bit in the printer list when adding printer, but is not in the list for LM18.3 64 bit. The Brother Support drivers just will not load from their website for me. Why is it not included in the latest list? Is there another Brother printer drivers that are compatible in the set up list that will work, or can some one add the appropriate drivers please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Printer Brother MFC J870DW set up on LM 18.3

Post by jimallyn »

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so the summary is ........... if you go here http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... dlang=true

and click to download and save, you should get linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1.gz

open a terminal; copy each command below; ; line by line; paste; hit the ENTER key after each paste

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1.gz

sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1 MFC J870DW
the final line is the installer script and it should do things for you;

when the next version of Mint is released: July 2018? .......... this printer; with many others; is airprint compatible; so it should .......... be autoconfigured ........ so no need to run install scripts ....... we optimistically hope ...........
jimeus13

Post by jimeus13 »

Thank you for the advice. I decided to go back to 17.3 with a clean install. Discovered I'd saved the drivers to a DVD, while I was hunting for the LM 17.3 DVD. Tried them on the 18.3 version, wouldn't install. So re-installed 17.3, couldn't find the drivers in set up list, must have got them from a previous version, so I loaded them from my saved disc, worked fine. Then I used the LM upgrade program to go through to 18.3. Everything works well now, took a long time to upgrade though. Your advice is not wasted because I will do a clean install of 18.3 on my wife's ASUS A56C, after backing up, and follow your advice. Thanks again.
rte638

Post by rte638 »

I am having the same issues as the OP and have not been able to install my Brother MFC-J870DW. I have entered the following commands into Terminal with the following results.

rte638@rte638-Satellite-C75D-B ~ $ cd Downloads
rte638@rte638-Satellite-C75D-B ~/Downloads $ gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1.gz
gzip: linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1.gz: No such file or directory
rte638@rte638-Satellite-C75D-B ~/Downloads $ gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1.gz
rte638@rte638-Satellite-C75D-B ~/Downloads $ sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1 MFC J870DW
[sudo] password for rte638:
Driver-packages cannot be found.
Confirm the model name.

rte638@rte638-Satellite-C75D-B ~/Downloads $

Any suggestions on how I correct the issue are greatly appreciated
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

I think you have to use the '-': MFC-J870DW
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so rte:

if the terminal says
No such file or directory
..... that means there is no such file there; ....... meaning ...... in the Downloads directory where you were telling it to look, it could not find it there .....

if you type

ls
when in the Downloads directory, the system should LIST what is there ........... ls being short for LIST ................

you would need to download the file from a Brother website; and as you click to download it, if you select SAVE ....... it should ........ end up in your Downloads folder ........... do you know if that is the default place for downloaded files to end up?

Sometimes folks choose their Desktop as the destination;

..... if you have downloaded the file, we need to find out where it went to ................
jimeus13

Post by jimeus13 »

Hi Folks, thanks for all the help. Mine downloaded to 'tmp' and the model number definitely needs the '-' as per MFC-J870DW. Working beautifully, fantastic.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

jimeus13 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:25 pm Hi Folks, thanks for all the help. Mine downloaded to 'tmp' and the model number definitely needs the '-' as per MFC-J870DW. Working beautifully, fantastic.
NP. I have had few problems with the Brother drivers. Thankfully there are still some companies that realize not everyone uses Windows! :D
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”