Canon MG6660 scanner - OK in Terminal NOT in GIMP

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ozdroggy
Level 2
Level 2

Canon MG6660 scanner - OK in Terminal NOT in GIMP

Post by ozdroggy »

After working on this problem for the last two days and having looked at answers on this forum for similar problems without success it is now time to call for help. :(
1. I had originally been happily scanning from GIMP using my Canon MG5560 before it died a month ago. I replaced it with a MG6660 and the printing was all OK but the scanner did not work.
2. I have a dual boot setup and Win10 on a separate Hard drive. Both printer and scanner work there.
3. Back to Linux (my preferred OS) where I successfully d/l and installed scangearmp2-3.00-1-deb.
4. I can scan OK from Terminal entering 'scangearmp2' but GIMP was still no good.
5. I could still get 'From scangearMP' in the Create drop down menu but no scanners were found.
6. I ensured that all previous 'scangearmp' files were uninstalled and tried again – the 'From scangearMP' option was now gone. Obviously provided by the old scangearmp-common-64 files.
7. Totally uninstalled GIMP and after shut down and reboot I reinstalled GIMP. Still no option to Create From scangearMP.
8. Have searched for a replacement for scangearmp-common-64 but does not exist.

Screenshot of Terminal showing d/l and installation available if required.

Question: How do I fix this problem please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mike.

Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 21.1 Vera 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-72-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0

Hardware
Memory: 3.8 GiB
Processor: Intel(R) Core i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz x 4

System Status
Available disk space: 299.8 GiB
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Canon MG6660 scanner - OK in Terminal NOT in GIMP

Post by pdc_2 »

so one can drive scanners in 3 ways:
1) the manufacturer's drivers
2) open source from SANE
3) Vuescan

for open source, both the standard and the development releases of SANE say ....... they need testers for the MG6600 series devices; so you could join the mailing list for the development version of SANE; they would be pleased to have your help; and they should be able to get things working on SANE; that might help GiMP feel better about things too

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/ ... sane-devel

do join and help the SANE team: the entry for your devices says
testers needed ..

Return to “Printers & Scanners”