Brother DCP L2529DW

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ilikesteel
Level 2
Level 2

Brother DCP L2529DW

Post by ilikesteel »

having a hard time finding a simple way to install a driver for this printer. if I use cups, it has many Brother printers, but not this one. This printer is on a wireless network. would I have a better chance of connecting it to the Macbook that has 18.3, hoping mint will recognize it and offer a driver? the printer is fairly new and I thought the software would have had this driver. any help would be appreciated. I also went to the Brother site and found drivers but unsure of which one to use. I tried downloading one, but after it downloaded I wasn't sure what to do with it. I'm not too familiar with linux yet and definitely not too comfortable using the terminal window and linux commands.

thank you

ilikesteel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Brother DCP L2529DW

Post by pdc_2 »

Brother offer an install tool; that should do things for you; so if you go here http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... &type3=625 and click to SAVE on the Download button, it should ...... end up in your Downloads folder

so if you open a terminal: the black TV on the bottom tool bar .................... and paste each command below in line by line ....... control and shift and v are the three keys that paste into the terminal ...... and hit the ENTER key after each paste ..

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1.gz

sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1 DCP-L2529DW
........ watch the terminal as the install runs; at some point it will ask if you want to specify the Device URI: if wireless, say yes and choose what seems the best option .......

when the next version of Mint arrives ..... July 2018?? .......... many of these DCP Brother printers will auto-configure as they are airprint-compatible; and Ubuntu introduced that with 17.04 .... but this 2529 is not on the list; the 2520 is ...........
ilikesteel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ilikesteel »

pdc_2,

thanks for the info. I mistakenly typed the model incorrectly (fat fingers) is should have read L2520, not L2529. I will try it, much appreciated.

ilikesteel
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

well best put the correct model number in the script ........... but the script will likely go
Ugh?
if you keep it at 2529

Return to “Printers & Scanners”