need to install scanner driver- failing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Richard Alan
Level 1
Level 1

need to install scanner driver- failing

Post by Richard Alan »

Mint 18.3 on very high end machine no mechanical issues
have Epson Perfection 4490 Photo Scanner
all scan programs say "no driver"
Epson has a linux Deb driver specified for mint. I have it downloaded. Inside it has a bunch of TR and GR files and tar and such.(/home/richard/Downloads/iscan-gt-x750-bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb.tar.gz is the top example. I have extracted it several times as it has other stuff inside.) meaningless to me. Have tried for 4.5 hours to install it. no process of double clicks, extracting, trying all the "managers" that the system has (as far as I know) do any useful install. Have been online to forums and help for hours. No cut and paste into terminal does anything, most just say some error. I cannot get any result except errors or useless jargon in a black window (terminal) at all.
The epson package has several files and I have extracted them several time to various places and no series of clicks or attempts to use software manager have done anything except make me frustrated. The so called "driver manager" seems useless for anything except video and motherboard stuff. Is there a real driver installer someplace I just do not know about? Everything I see online assumes the driver installer is a certified software engineer, usually saying "just do......" like all the people should just know how to do so.

A simple, clear driver installer does not seem unreasonable, so, can someone tell me where it is? Or how to really do it without being a programmer. I do appreciate any help.

Another 1.5 hours. Just in spite I again double clicked on somethings I have done many times before. It seems that some magic allowed installing. The only scanner program that sees this is the linux one, not simple scan or x-sane. I guess just delete these as useless. Sorry, This linux is not real user friendly still in several years. Great for internet however. I do not know how to delete this, I consider it closed or solved. zero idea why however.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: need to install scanner driver- failing

Post by jimallyn »

I downloaded the Epson scanner driver, and it does come with instructions to install it. Navigate in your file manager to wherever you saved the file you downloaded. Right click it, then click Extract Here. That will unzip a folder called "iscan-bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb". Double click that folder to enter it, and you will find a file named README.rst, which contains the instructions to install the driver. The instructions include how to unzip that folder, and clearly Epson wasn't thinking very well, putting the instruction on how to unzip the package inside the package. (But that's OK, we just did that from the file manager.) The rest of the install is done from the terminal. Open a terminal, and navigate to that "iscan-bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb" folder (using the cd command). Once you're inside that folder, just enter ./install.sh and it will ask for your password and do the install. When you type in your password, it will not display on the screen, not even asterisks. Just type it in blind and press Enter, and away you go.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: need to install scanner driver- failing

Post by AZgl1800 »

Epson just released new Linux drivers in the last 5 or 6 days, have you downloaded them again?

My ET-2550 printer would not work with any of the existing Epson drivers prior to that date.

Now it does, perfect, beautiful color prints.

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... archModule
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Printers & Scanners”