Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Canon printer on different subnet

Post by bigal » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:24 pm

Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
Router Zyxel VMG8324-B10A
Printer Canon LBP7680Cx
All LAN devices have a fixed IP.

My entire LAN works on the 192.168.0.xx range. I have just acquired a printer which has the IP of 192.168.140.12. so it cannot be seen. There is no facility on the printer to change its IP to something on the 192.168.0.xx range so it needs to be done via a computer so would appreciate advice on how to set this up.
Last edited by bigal on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Canon printer on different subnet

Post by pdc_2 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:35 pm

I wonder if you have done the driver install already? Canon supply their UFR driver in various linux formats; so if one were starting off; one would go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 24010.html and click to download and SAVE what would be linux-UFRII-drv-v350-uken.tar.gz which was released Feb 2018

Canon supply an install script; so if one opens a terminal; copies the commands below line by line; paste into the terminal; hit the ENTER key; repeat

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf linux-UFRII-drv-v350-uken.tar.gz

cd linux-UFRII-drv-v350-uken

sudo ./install.sh
to set up a printer, one seems to need to do two things 1) install the drivers and 2) register with lpadmin and the install script should do both; it should offer you a choice and ask you which ip address you want? If not, then if one deletes the entry Canon give a very good guide on their how-to

the summary seems to be

cnsetuputil
to open the printer install utility then as per the screenshot below; I enclose it just to illustrate that Canon and other suppliers do offer good support; I can explain how to find it
Attachments
canon.png

bigal
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Canon printer on different subnet

Post by bigal » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:27 am

Thank you pdc_2. Your post was most helpful. As you suspected, I had not installed the driver but had a copy of the ppd file which I was intending to use. Following your very clear instructions helped me to get it right and install the driver, something had given up attempting to do.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”