Using System Settings to add Epson XP-830

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
purpletree

Using System Settings to add Epson XP-830

Post by purpletree »

I'm trying to get an Epson XP-830 to work with:
Linux Mint 18.3 KDE Edition
KDE Plasma Version: 5.8.9
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.36.0
Qt Version: 5.6.1
Kernel Version: 4.10.0-38-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
The OS is installed on a Dell XPS desktop machine. I'm using a Netgear router.
The printer has previously worked just fine as a wireless device when using Windows 10.

The way I'm trying to set it up is through Settings -> System Settings -> Hardware Printers -> "Click here to add a new printer".
In the "Add a New Printer -- Add Printer" dialog box there are two printers listed in the "Discovered Network Printers" section.
They both have similar names.
One is called: "EPSON XP-830 Series (EPSON EPSON XP-830 Series)"
The other is called "EPSON XP-830 Series (EPSON XP-830 Series)"
(The word EPSON is repeated in the one that appears first in the list.)

When I select "EPSON XP-830 Series (EPSON EPSON XP-830 Series)", the adjacent pane displays the text "IPP network printer via DNS-SD".
The "Next" button is then clickable. After clicking "Next" I get a split pane dialog with a list of printer brands on the left side. When I choose EPSON from the list, the right side pane lists a few hundred drivers.
None of these drivers appears to be associated with the EPSON XP-830. How do I know which one(s) to pick? (I found the EPSON website lacking the necessary information - or I looked in the wrong places. It was all a bit unclear.)

Back in the "Select a Printer to Add" dialog box...
When I select the other option under "Discovered Network Printers", which is "EPSON XP-830 (EPSON XP-830 Series)", there's then a right hand pane for an Address and a Queue.
I've entered the IP Address of the printer but I have no idea what to put in for Queue. The "Detect" button remains unclickable and I remain disappointed, discouraged, and sad.

Additionally, I've searched this forum for a solution and found a post regarding the EPSON XP-830 from about 5 months ago. Unfortunately the links are to missing pages. What should I do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Epson XP-830: best use the Epson driver

Post by pdc_2 »

I would recommend going to the Epson site and downloading the driver that they provide;

the portal for entry is http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX and if one enters xp-830 one ends up here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... e43b62db49 and it is a generic driver released 4th Feb 2018; for 64bit you need epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.20-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

if you click to download, and can select OPEN ... that should be set up for gdebi installer; (that installs packages ..) to leap in and offer to help; if you accept its offer, if it is made; if not, and it is just saved to the Downloads folder, if you open that folder and double-click on the package, it should install; and that should trigger a registration with lpadmin; so an entry appears in the PRINTERS folder;

best to delete any entries there for the xp-830 before you start; (as they don't seem to work): and just rely on what the Epson driver should create: does that sound ok?

so Epson provide the generic driver;

1) when the next Mint is released; in July; it will have airprint-compatibility; so that would see the printer and set it up automatically;
2) some complain the settings that Epson offer with the generic driver are not good enough for them; a really good option is to look at Turboprint http://www.turboprint.info/printer_Epso ... eries.html as it offers very high-quality support and settings; go on, treat yourself; you know you deserve it!
purpletree

Re: Using System Settings to add Epson XP-830

Post by purpletree »

Thank you. I've successfully printed a test page. I also opened Kate and typed in "Hello World!" and printed it out.
I followed the link to the driver you provided. Then I used the gdebi installer. After that I went through the setup process again:
Settings -> System Settings -> Hardware Printers -> "Click here to add a new printer"
I chose the first option in the list of "Discovered Network Printers" and in the right hand pane found the driver associated with the XP-830 at the very bottom of the list of choices. After entering the IP address I was able to print.
Thanks again for the help.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

SOLVED: Epson XP-830 prints with the Epson driver

Post by pdc_2 »

great; delighted to hear all is good;

if after Mint 19 came out; and you waited a week or two or three; and you opted to upgrade from 18.3 to 19;

then it will have airprint-compatibility; so of its own accord; it is likely to add another xp-830 driver but I understand it will call it "driverless" ...... so you may have two options; as with all things linux, you get choice!

as you own the thread, if you add SOLVED in the title of the first post you did; that would be great

Return to “Printers & Scanners”