Ricoh laser printer+scanner SP111SU

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
avi

Ricoh laser printer+scanner SP111SU

Post by avi »

Unable to install this printer+scanner. Seems no driver is available for linux.
Hope I do not have to junk it because its a good machine and works fine in Windows.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Ricoh laser printer+scanner SP111SU

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so you are right: Ricoh do not supply linux drivers; that I can find;

Open Printing is the go-to place to look for printing support in linux; for open-source solutions;

If one looks in Ricoh there; your SP111SU does NOT get a mention; other SP devices are listed as supported;

indeed many SP devices are said to work perfectly eg http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Ric ... o_SP_4100N

that device uses what Open Printing call the PDF-Ricoh driver; when one looks on that page, they say
Under this entry Ricoh's PPD files for their PDF printers are hosted. PDF printers are supported natively in Linux and Unix environments, so you only need the PPD file for your printer, no driver executables, to get access to all printing functionality.
The PPD contains all information about properties and user-settable options which are specific to the printer and makes printing dialogs show these options and allow the user to control all the printer's functionality.

These PPDs are especially made for use on Linux/Unix systems. Especially they support all advanced printer features like Locked Print, Ducument Server, User Code, ...
so I have never had to do this; but you can download the ppd file for the 4100; if you used a text editor; and changed all references to the 4100; to your 111; and saved it as a 111;

then if you saved it to /etc/cups/ppd; and perhaps also saved a copy in the database; that usually resides in /usr/share/ppd

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... tu-337393/

Having saved the ppd then if one went to the PRINTERS folder; clicked on NEW; to set up a new printer; then when the dialogue asks you for options; there should be one that says "use ppd file ... " and you can point the system to the 111 ppd file that you saved in /etc/cups/ppd ...... and hopefully ...... that gives you some chance that you might be able to print;

Here is the link that lets you see what the ppd for the 4100 looks like http://www.openprinting.org/ppd-o-matic ... 00N&show=1 and there is a button on the Ricoh page that I gave at the top, that says "download ppd file directly" so you can download it to your system and use a text editor to change all references from 4100 to 111; (I use the text editor gedit and if you don't have it, install with

Code: Select all

sudo apt install gedit
and you should find it then in your ACCESSORIES folder
avi

Post by avi »

Thanks pdc_2. Will try the solution given by you. But will it support scanner too?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

But will it support scanner too?
I don't think so; we are really just talking about printer drivers above; SANE (open-source scanning does not rely cover Ricoh devices at all); but one can buy second-hand standalone scanners for very little: we use a CanonScan N650U that was very cheap; eight years ago; still going; plug & play
avi

Post by avi »

Thanks, pdc_2, and apologies for late reply.

I tried the solution suggested by you, but could not install. My system is dual boot with windows and I had intended to switch to Mint only. As the printer does not install and the scanner is not even recognized, I give up and will use windows for the print and scan jobs.
dc2sl

Post by dc2sl »

I tried now the different posted solutions without success.
I dont`t think it is a ppd problem. Same ppd file is used on 2 other machines in the network with Mint 18.3 without problems, but it dosen`t work on the 3rd machine with Mint 19. (PPD: "Ricoh Aficio MP C2050 PDF", CreationDate: 2018/02/05). The printer is printing endless pages with some letters ...
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

we are seeing various reports where moving from Mint 18 to Mint 19 results in the printer not working; some folks may wish to delay moving from earlier versions; to 19; in the light of some of these reports;

Return to “Printers & Scanners”