Canon IJ scan utility

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PLML
Level 1
Level 1

Canon IJ scan utility

Post by PLML »

Hello Linux folk,

Can someone please assist me to get my Canon IJ Scanner Utility working on Mint.
I am on LM 18.3, and have a Canon MG5460 printing quite well, using the Canon Linux drivers from Canon Asia.
The Canon Linux scanner however is very primitive, and nothing like the Canon Windows IJ scanner Utility.

The Scanner Utility works great on Windows 7, when I try to run it under Wine on LM, I get:
"A scanner driver supporting this software is not installed. Install it and try again. Code 14,230,1"

I guess this means installing the scanner driver under Wine. I downloaded ndwin250a_ntwin250aen, and get msg "To install software, you need to be a member of the Adminstrator's group. I have root privilege under LM. Is this msg related to Windows, or Linux?

Would really appreciate some assistance with this one please.

Thanks ... Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

SANE says complete support for Canon MG5400series

Post by pdc_2 »

can I infer from this that you downloaded ScanGearMP from canon? and you have run it from a terminal with

Code: Select all

scangearmp
?

SANE is the open-source project that supports scanning in linux; they say http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON that your MG5400 series device has complete support; so theoretically if you open Simple Scan, it should find the scanner; some folks like Xsane; with more options; you can install from synaptic or

sudo apt install xsane
from a terminal;
PLML
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Canon IJ scan utility

Post by PLML »

Re: Sane / Xsane:

Simple Scan opens, but does not find my wireless printer.
I can print on this printer without any problems.

Similarly, Xsane cannot find my wireless printer.

Re: Scangear MP:

ScangearMP runs OK, but it is very primitive, compared to Canon IJ Scan Utility.

I found a file > ndwin250a_ntwin250aen that may allow me install the Canon IJ Scan Utility under Wine, however it won't install as it appears I do not have "Administrative rights". I enabled root on a Terminal - still won't run.

I want to use the Canon IJ Scan Utility, which runs perfectly on Windows 7, but cannot find a driver on Linux.

Thank you .... Steve
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

using SANE to get MG5400 series scanning wirelessly

Post by pdc_2 »

So Steve you have been on Mint for 3 yrs; so that is a goodly period of time; and sound like someone who expects things to work well and likes good things; you may have seen mention of VueScan https://www.hamrick.com/ which provides very good support for scanning; you can download a trial version and they ask for a contribution but anyone who has used it swears by it; and feels it is well worth it;

for scanning, the needs for data to go out of the computer; and then come back into; poses security risks that linux catches in its nets; so if SANE does not autoconfigure things, one needs to do some tweaking; I will write more later but this post https://askubuntu.com/questions/200915/ ... rk-scanner covers some or all of the ground;

if you do

gedit /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf
you get to see inside that pixma.conf file and if all the lines start with hash, then it needs the bnjp: entry for your device in there;

............ (what does

lpinfo -v
show for your device? ...... that is what you enter into the pixma config file

and the other place to check is the file saned that is inside /etc/default/ so to look at it do

gedit /etc/default/saned
and just using the command gedit ensures it is read-only;

to change the entries .........

gksudo gedit /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf
and

gksudo gedit /etc/default/saned
many just wish to get 2-3 concise instructions; and for all to work well thereafter; but if I include a link that backgrounds how SANE tries to keep you safe; and work at the same time .. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ScanningHowTo

you mention Wine a few times; most folks deprecate that so I will just attempt to help with linux things
PLML
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PLML »

Hi,

Thanks for your assistance. I cannot get the Canon software IJ Scanner Utility to work, no matter what I try. Have to use their very basic Scangearmp for Linux. Cannot get the improved Scangearmp2 to work either.

It's a pity there does not seem to be scanner software for Ubuntu/Linux as good as Canon's IJ Scanner Utility.
Well, I haven't found any yet .... :|

I am working with Vuescan, to establish why their software does not see my scanner.

Here are the entry results of your suggestions:

gedit /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf
produces:
bjnp://Canon MG5400 series._ipp._tcp.local:

lpinfo -v
produces:
network dnssd://Canon%20MG5400%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=00000000-0000-1000-8000-180CACBD855E

gedit /etc/default/saned
does not show the device

Thank. Steve
blockhead47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blockhead47 »

Might I suggest, for troubleshooting purposes, disable the firewall if you are running one.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon MG5400

Post by pdc_2 »

so the file pixma.conf says what is in the screenshot below; but it seems your system has found the scanner; added it to pixma.conf in the format it wants; which is
method must be bjnp
......so the screenshot just shows the default setting; your version seems to have been appropriately added to; so that should all be good .........

You say you tried ScanGearMP2; your device seems to date from 2012; and then Canon issued ScanGearMP releases for each device; so only the scangearmp-5400series is going to work; ScanGearMP2 would not

Do you have a firewall? Can you turn it off and retest?

What does

sane-find-scanner
give please? and

scanimage -L
and

sudo sane-find-scanner
give please? and

sudo scanimage -L
?

If you copy results from a terminal; and paste inside the code tags (the box 5 in from the left);

(I know you would like the device to be wireless; but I wonder if you could or would just join a usb cable to it to see if one can at least get a scan?)
PLML
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PLML »

Thanks for your assistance.

I persevered with this, and in the Linux Firewall, there is a profile
for Bonjour, which sets the scanner default IP to 192.168.1.103 and uses Port 5353
Added the rule. No go.

I disabled the Firewall. ran Vuescan, and found from the Vuescan Log,
that the IP address for the Canon MG5460 scanner is 192.168.1.100.
Vuescan found this when I disabled the Firewall.
Set Firewall In/Outrules for that IP address. No go.

I then intuitively installed the firewall profile for CUPS It uses port 631.
Vuescan is now working with my MG5460 wireless as 192.168.1.100

The only improvement I would like to see (so far) is that the Preview
speed of Viewscan is quite slow compared to the Canon IJ Scanner Utility preview.
So, I'm now using a "linux" scanner :)

BTW, I removed both sane and xsane, as they are not used by either Canon or Vuescan.
Besides, sane is old, and I could not get xsane going.

Apart from that, all seems good.

I would still like to find a way to get the Canon IJ Scanner Utility working in Linux.

But that will be another day.

I can now close this, as I have a wireless scanner working on Linux Mint 18.3

Return to “Printers & Scanners”